Problems with loading / starting a game

Last response: in Video Games
August 18, 2005 1:29:23 AM

Hi everybody!

Half Life 2 was included as a free game with my graphics card. I downloaded it via
Steam. (No purchased package, no install-CDs).

The game is kept up-to-date via Steam, so I guess all available patches are
installed.

Here's my problem: Whenever I start the game and try to load a saved game or start a
new game, it will result in a Blue Screen of Death along with a system reboot,
because that's XP's default setting when Blue Screens occur.

I suspected my personal firewall or virus-scanner to be the problem in combination
with the Steam stuff, but even with both of them deactivated, this problem regularly
occurs.

It always takes several attempts and reboots, until I finally can get to play.

Does anybody else experience this problem? Is there a workaround?

Bye,
Krid.

--
www.dirk-music.de
Anonymous

Krid proclaimed...

> Does anybody else experience this problem? Is there a workaround?

If you suspect it's the firewall you could click start + run and type
msconfig.
On startup disable any firewall you have so you know it isn't just
disabled with it's security settings intact.

My other suggestion would be to uninstall the game entirely and then
download the steam installer and start from scratch.

Obviously I don't need you to update your drivers now, do i? ;p

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:26:58 PM

Are you running the latest graphics drivers, I assume you have an ATI
card, so that's Catalyst 5.8. If not, you should download them from
ATI's site.

The other question is, do you actually have enough power in your
computer. When I had this problem years ago with my old gateway, the
problem was that the power supply couldn't actually cope with the draw
of everything surging at once and the PC crashed.
Get yourself a copy of Aida32 ->
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/AIDA-Download-696...
which should pick up your powersupply voltages and computer
temperatures and see how they look in comparison to what they should be...

Civilian_Target

Krid wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> Half Life 2 was included as a free game with my graphics card. I downloaded it via
> Steam. (No purchased package, no install-CDs).
>
> The game is kept up-to-date via Steam, so I guess all available patches are
> installed.
>

> Here's my problem: Whenever I start the game and try to load a saved game or start a
> new game, it will result in a Blue Screen of Death along with a system reboot,
> because that's XP's default setting when Blue Screens occur.
>
> I suspected my personal firewall or virus-scanner to be the problem in combination
> with the Steam stuff, but even with both of them deactivated, this problem regularly
> occurs.
>
> It always takes several attempts and reboots, until I finally can get to play.
>
> Does anybody else experience this problem? Is there a workaround?
>
> Bye,
> Krid.

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:11:44 AM

Civilian_Target <tadhgp@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Are you running the latest graphics drivers, I assume you have an ATI
>card, so that's Catalyst 5.8. If not, you should download them from
>ATI's site.

Thanks. Meanwhile I'm pretty sure that it's the graphics driver. And yes, it is an
ATI card.

After initially having had some problems with the latest Catalyst driver and
therefore resorting to a slightly older driver, I meanwhile installed the latest
Catalyst driver on my testing-partition without any problems. I installed the game
there, too, via the Steam Backup / Restore function and with this installation
everything runs fine. :-)

Always good to have a second partition for a Windows test-installation, isn't it?
Don't know why the recent driver didn't work on my main installation. Maybe it's time
for a complete re-install. Everything else is working fine on that installation,
however.

Bye and thanks,
Krid.
--