Problems with loading / starting a game

Hi everybody!

Half Life 2 was included as a free game with my graphics card. I downloaded it via
Steam. (No purchased package, no install-CDs).

The game is kept up-to-date via Steam, so I guess all available patches are
installed.

Here's my problem: Whenever I start the game and try to load a saved game or start a
new game, it will result in a Blue Screen of Death along with a system reboot,
because that's XP's default setting when Blue Screens occur.

I suspected my personal firewall or virus-scanner to be the problem in combination
with the Steam stuff, but even with both of them deactivated, this problem regularly
occurs.

It always takes several attempts and reboots, until I finally can get to play.

Does anybody else experience this problem? Is there a workaround?

Bye,
Krid.

--
www.dirk-music.de
3 answers Last reply

    Krid proclaimed...

    > Does anybody else experience this problem? Is there a workaround?

    If you suspect it's the firewall you could click start + run and type
    msconfig.
    On startup disable any firewall you have so you know it isn't just
    disabled with it's security settings intact.

    My other suggestion would be to uninstall the game entirely and then
    download the steam installer and start from scratch.

    Obviously I don't need you to update your drivers now, do i? ;p

    --
    "Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

    www.stri.tk

    Are you running the latest graphics drivers, I assume you have an ATI
    card, so that's Catalyst 5.8. If not, you should download them from
    ATI's site.

    The other question is, do you actually have enough power in your
    computer. When I had this problem years ago with my old gateway, the
    problem was that the power supply couldn't actually cope with the draw
    of everything surging at once and the PC crashed.
    Get yourself a copy of Aida32 ->
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/AIDA-Download-6969.html
    which should pick up your powersupply voltages and computer
    temperatures and see how they look in comparison to what they should be...

    Civilian_Target

    Civilian_Target <tadhgp@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Are you running the latest graphics drivers, I assume you have an ATI
    >card, so that's Catalyst 5.8. If not, you should download them from
    >ATI's site.

    Thanks. Meanwhile I'm pretty sure that it's the graphics driver. And yes, it is an
    ATI card.

    After initially having had some problems with the latest Catalyst driver and
    therefore resorting to a slightly older driver, I meanwhile installed the latest
    Catalyst driver on my testing-partition without any problems. I installed the game
    there, too, via the Steam Backup / Restore function and with this installation
    everything runs fine. :-)

    Always good to have a second partition for a Windows test-installation, isn't it?
    Don't know why the recent driver didn't work on my main installation. Maybe it's time
    for a complete re-install. Everything else is working fine on that installation,
    however.

    Bye and thanks,
    Krid.
    --