Analog capture: what am I doing wrong???

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 4, 2004 8:09:19 AM

From a search of this newsgroup, it's obvious that several people have had
success converting analog tapes to digital using the Winfast XP2000 PCI
tuner/capture card. However, I have spent hours trying it, and I've failed
miserably. Nothing I connect to the S-video input on the card will render
on the computer screen. It's all garbled and trashy, if I get anything at
all. I've tried my Sharp analog 8mm camera and my Canon Optura DV. The
Sharp's only output is a 1/8" A/V jack, so I come out of that with a
standard 1/8" to RCA cable into an S-video adaptor. Then I choose "S-video"
input source in the Winfast PVR. I get nothing. When I use the Canon DV, I
come straight out with an S-video cable into the little yellow S-video
adaptor that came with the Winfast card, into the S-video input on the card.
Again I choose S-video input source in the PVR, and it's here that I get the
totally garbled picture.
Am I just completely missing something, or do I possibly have a bad card?
The tv tuner functionality works fine (although my remote quit working a
while back). Also, I'm using Windows XP Pro, if that has anything to do
with it.
Any help GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

jakesnake

More about : analog capture wrong

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 8:18:41 AM

"jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in
news:p jZPc.1402$Vx2.351@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

> From a search of this newsgroup, it's obvious that several people
> have had success converting analog tapes to digital using the
> Winfast XP2000 PCI tuner/capture card. However, I have spent
> hours trying it, and I've failed miserably. Nothing I connect to
> the S-video input on the card will render on the computer screen.
> It's all garbled and trashy, if I get anything at all. I've tried
> my Sharp analog 8mm camera and my Canon Optura DV. The Sharp's
> only output is a 1/8" A/V jack, so I come out of that with a
> standard 1/8" to RCA cable into an S-video adaptor. Then I choose
> "S-video" input source in the Winfast PVR. I get nothing. When I
> use the Canon DV, I come straight out with an S-video cable into
> the little yellow S-video adaptor that came with the Winfast card,
> into the S-video input on the card. Again I choose S-video input
> source in the PVR, and it's here that I get the totally garbled
> picture. Am I just completely missing something, or do I possibly
> have a bad card? The tv tuner functionality works fine (although
> my remote quit working a while back). Also, I'm using Windows XP
> Pro, if that has anything to do with it.
> Any help GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.
>
> jakesnake

It sounds to me like you're using the wrong kind of plug for the
camcorders' 1/8" jacks. A/V jacks on camcorders have four, not
three, rings: ground (earth), L & R audio, and video. At least
that's how I read your post...

You need to find the kind of cable that the manufacturers include
with their video cameras.

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com