Monitor turns off

I have just started having problems with monitor turning off at random
times.

I have a brand new GForc 6600 AGP 256 MB video card. I have put the
card in another computer and it doesn't turn off like it did in mine.
I even move the monitor to the other computer and it stays on.

I have had the video card for a month now but just started using XP SP2
and all this started happening. I have checked the power options and I
have standby and montior off to never. Can't figure this one out.

The only thing that turns off is monitor, or should I say the view, I
stil get the yellow/green blinking light like it waiting for something.
I can reboot and it all comes back on but only to go off again, this is
never at the same time.

My system
windows xp sp2
cpu 3.09 Ptm 4
1.5 GB Memory
450 watt power

Thanks for any help

--
bugman38313

bugman38313 wrote:
> I have just started having problems with monitor turning off at random
> times.
>
> I have a brand new GForc 6600 AGP 256 MB video card. I have put the
> card in another computer and it doesn't turn off like it did in mine.
> I even move the monitor to the other computer and it stays on.
>
> I have had the video card for a month now but just started using XP SP2
> and all this started happening. I have checked the power options and I
> have standby and montior off to never. Can't figure this one out.
>
> The only thing that turns off is monitor, or should I say the view, I
> stil get the yellow/green blinking light like it waiting for something.
> I can reboot and it all comes back on but only to go off again, this is
> never at the same time.
>
> My system
> windows xp sp2
> cpu 3.09 Ptm 4
> 1.5 GB Memory
> 450 watt power
>
> Thanks for any help

A couple of things come to mind

1) Cable connections. Check the video cable connections including
the power connector to the video card (I think this card needs
needs extra power)

2) Weak or Bad Power Supply. Try turning off any secondary devices
like second HD's etc.

/dan

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
hmmm. the only reasons i know of that could cause this are:

-faulty cabling
-power supply (12V rail is too weak for the video card, or low wattage)
-faulty video card
-faulty monitor
-or even possibly weird software compatability issues between the card and the motherboard causing your monitor to turn off for some unexplainable reason

mal

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
same problem but its more like a hibernation. xp pro sp2 two intel pentium III.

if im using it it doesnt turn off. by using i mean keyboard/mouse. I put on a movie and almost exactly 20 min in it goes off. so i have to jump and hit the buttons to get it to go back on.

there are NO power saving profiles. Not off but none. all those lines are blank in the usual "monitor/harddrive/cpu" lines.

Anyone?