Firewire Card

jazz

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

Hello everyone
Can anyone suggest me the best Firewire card ... I want to capture
from my Sony PD 170 in full resolution i.e DV25.
Wt should be my windows machine configuarion to support this capture
application
I have heard of few cards like "Buslink 3 Port PCI Firewire Card"
which gaurrentee 400 MBPS.Does it works fast without anu frame drops..

Thanks
Jazz

"Jazz" <yugant@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello everyone
> Can anyone suggest me the best Firewire card ... I want to capture
> from my Sony PD 170 in full resolution i.e DV25.
> Wt should be my windows machine configuarion to support this capture
> application
> I have heard of few cards like "Buslink 3 Port PCI Firewire Card"
> which gaurrentee 400 MBPS.Does it works fast without anu frame drops..

I would say that firewire cards are pretty "generic" in that they all do the
same thing, (a bit like buying a network card for your lan). Not much point
in spending too much, but some are bundled with a free firewire cable which
may be worth having. No drivers are needed as XP has them built in. You
may need a capture utility like windv
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=285#comments or dvio
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=45#comments unless you already have
existing favourite capture software.

"Adrian Boliston" <adrian@boliston.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Jazz" <yugant@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Hello everyone
> > Can anyone suggest me the best Firewire card ... I want to capture
> > from my Sony PD 170 in full resolution i.e DV25.
> > Wt should be my windows machine configuarion to support this capture
> > application
> > I have heard of few cards like "Buslink 3 Port PCI Firewire Card"
> > which gaurrentee 400 MBPS.Does it works fast without anu frame drops..
>
> I would say that firewire cards are pretty "generic" in that they all do
the
> same thing, (a bit like buying a network card for your lan). Not much
point
> in spending too much, but some are bundled with a free firewire cable
which
> may be worth having. No drivers are needed as XP has them built in. You
> may need a capture utility like windv
> http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=285#comments or dvio
> http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=45#comments unless you already have
> existing favourite capture software.

Gee, doesn't a capture utility come with XP? Mine has one. Windows Movie
Maker works real nice capturing with my new Laptop :)

Cliff

"Cliff" <cliff-f@xemaps.com> wrote in message

> Gee, doesn't a capture utility come with XP? Mine has one. Windows Movie
> Maker works real nice capturing with my new Laptop :)

It only does type1 capture when most editors need type2

Adrian Boliston wrote:
> "Cliff" <cliff-f@xemaps.com> wrote in message
>
>> Gee, doesn't a capture utility come with XP? Mine has one. Windows
>> Movie Maker works real nice capturing with my new Laptop :)
>
> It only does type1 capture when most editors need type2

OK, Thanks for that info. I have been using Ulead Video Studio for
conversion in either direction but mostly Pinnacle S-8 for editing. I must
hang out here more often for tidbits like this.

Regards
Cliff

Laurence Payne wrote:

> On 4 Aug 2004 04:33:35 -0700, yugant@gmail.com (Jazz) wrote:
>

>>Hello everyone
>> Can anyone suggest me the best Firewire card ... I want to capture
>

> Windows XP requires no additional drivers. Just slot it in.

I have seen Belkin ones in Walmart for about $24. The wire istelf is
another $24. What do you mean by "just slot in" ? What is inside the
computer that will sense its presence ? I now have Win-XP, but on a 5
year old Gateway computer than began life under Win-98. I would have to
remove the computer's cover to get at any slots.

Mr

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 21:49:05 GMT, Joe Versaggi <JOEMVCNJ@att.net>
wrote:

>Laurence Payne wrote:
>
>> On 4 Aug 2004 04:33:35 -0700, yugant@gmail.com (Jazz) wrote:
>>

>>>Hello everyone
>>> Can anyone suggest me the best Firewire card ... I want to capture
>>

>> Windows XP requires no additional drivers. Just slot it in.
>
>I have seen Belkin ones in Walmart for about $24. The wire istelf is
>another $24. What do you mean by "just slot in" ? What is inside the
>computer that will sense its presence ? I now have Win-XP, but on a 5
>year old Gateway computer than began life under Win-98. I would have to
>remove the computer's cover to get at any slots.

If you want to order online, try here:
http://www.acortech.com/.sc/ms/sch/1070722557450259/9/nc/ee?search=firewire&go.x=0&go.y=0
I ordered one about a year ago and got the card and cable for about $8
with free shipping. Worked out fine. I noticed it is now $10, but
don't know if the shipping is free. I have no interest in the company
except being a happy customer.
MR

Robert

Joe Versaggi wrote:

> Laurence Payne wrote:
>
>> On 4 Aug 2004 04:33:35 -0700, yugant@gmail.com (Jazz) wrote:
>>

>>> Hello everyone
>>> Can anyone suggest me the best Firewire card ... I want to capture
>>

>> Windows XP requires no additional drivers. Just slot it in.
>

> I have seen Belkin ones in Walmart for about $24. The wire istelf is
> another $24. What do you mean by "just slot in" ? What is inside the
> computer that will sense its presence ? I now have Win-XP, but on a 5
> year old Gateway computer than began life under Win-98. I would have to
> remove the computer's cover to get at any slots.

That's it. Install the board, with all care taken concerning static
discharges etc. Win XP will detect it and ask you for appropriate driver
(on the offchance that Xp itself doesn't already have one ready
waiting). Stick in the CD and point XP to the right place.

BTW I'm writing this mail on a Gateway from late 1998 . . . it's the
kids that got the P4 2,8 GHz, so I installed my firewire card there . . .

/Robert

wrote:

>> Windows XP requires no additional drivers. Just slot it in.
>
>I have seen Belkin ones in Walmart for about $24. The wire istelf is
>another $24. What do you mean by "just slot in" ? What is inside the
>computer that will sense its presence ? I now have Win-XP, but on a 5
>year old Gateway computer than began life under Win-98. I would have to
>remove the computer's cover to get at any slots.

Indeed you will. Put the card in an empty PCI slot. When you next
boot, Windows XP will notice it and install it. You may be asked to
insert your XP disk. Probably not even that.