Jerky looking video

Hi,
I volenteered (quite foolishly) to make a wedding DVD from 2
different films recorded on 2 different camcorders.

So I've been and got myself a copy of Ulead VideoStudio 7 as it was
reccomended and a capture card, I've sucessfully captured the video
footage on to my pc in 2 different mpeg files, and thses files play
brilliantly, although they are well over a gb each (about 47 mins of
footage each).

I have sucessfully edited the footage / overlayed titles / audio /
pictures and all looks dandy, but when I finally render the video,
either direct to DVD or to mpeg format file, it's jerky, sorry i cant
be any more technical than that, but i am new to this.

The system I am using to edit / render is an AMD 3GHz processor, 1GB
Ram (DDR 333), 80GB hard drive 7200 RPM, Radeon 9700 graphics card,
Windows 2000, DVD burner on firewire connection and all the usual
bits and bobs etc...

If anyone has got any ideas as to why the file is slightly jerky could
you let me know as i am baffled, could it be the software im using?

Many thanks for your help.

TIA

Alan
6 answers Last reply
More about jerky video

    On 4 Aug 2004 07:25:22 -0700, ayoung@scholastic.co.uk (Alan) wrote:
    >So I've been and got myself a copy of Ulead VideoStudio 7 as it was
    >reccomended and a capture card, I've sucessfully captured the video
    >footage on to my pc in 2 different mpeg files, and thses files play
    >brilliantly, although they are well over a gb each (about 47 mins of
    >footage each).

    MPEG is an OUTPUT format, meant to be played and not edited

    Read here - http://tangentsoft.net/video/mpeg/edit.html

    >I have sucessfully edited the footage / overlayed titles / audio /
    >pictures and all looks dandy, but when I finally render the video,
    >either direct to DVD or to mpeg format file, it's jerky, sorry i cant
    >be any more technical than that, but i am new to this.

    You are taking an already COMPRESSED format and then doing yet
    another compression operation to create a new file

    You need to go to http://www.videohelp.com/ and read the software
    reviews to see if there is a product which will allow you to edit
    an Mpeg file and then create a new file without recompressing

    >If anyone has got any ideas as to why the file is slightly jerky could
    >you let me know as i am baffled, could it be the software im using?

    I don't use Ulead, so have no idea if it is DESIGNED to edit an
    Mpeg file, or if it will edit but poorly

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    When encoding the video from .AVI to MPEG2, raise your data rate
    up to the 6500 - 8000 Kbps range.
    I seriously doubt that it's field order problem.

    Monkey Monkey wrote:
    > When encoding the video from .AVI to MPEG2, raise your data rate
    > up to the 6500 - 8000 Kbps range.
    > I seriously doubt that it's field order problem.
    >

    > ayoung@scholastic.co.uk (Alan) wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >> I volenteered (quite foolishly) to make a wedding DVD from 2
    >>different films recorded on 2 different camcorders.
    >>
    >>So I've been and got myself a copy of Ulead VideoStudio 7 as it was
    >>reccomended and a capture card, I've sucessfully captured the video
    >>footage on to my pc in 2 different mpeg files, and thses files play
    >>brilliantly, although they are well over a gb each (about 47 mins of
    >>footage each).
    >>
    >>I have sucessfully edited the footage / overlayed titles / audio /
    >>pictures and all looks dandy, but when I finally render the video,
    >>either direct to DVD or to mpeg format file, it's jerky, sorry i cant
    >>be any more technical than that, but i am new to this.
    >>
    >>The system I am using to edit / render is an AMD 3GHz processor, 1GB
    >>Ram (DDR 333), 80GB hard drive 7200 RPM, Radeon 9700 graphics card,
    >>Windows 2000, DVD burner on firewire connection and all the usual
    >>bits and bobs etc...
    >>
    >>If anyone has got any ideas as to why the file is slightly jerky could
    >>you let me know as i am baffled, could it be the software im using?

    I think it is the wrong field. same thing happend to me with ulead.
    Change the field order in capture and future captures should work after
    that, but what you have now will not.

    GA
    --
    My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    On 4 Aug 2004 12:33:28 -0700, monkey_monkey_camera_boy@go.com (Monkey
    Monkey) wrote:

    >When encoding the video from .AVI to MPEG2, raise your data rate
    >up to the 6500 - 8000 Kbps range.
    >I seriously doubt that it's field order problem.

    IMHO: Bitrate has nothing to do with jerkiness. If you take a
    snapshot, and the bitrate is low, you shall see a bad image, but of
    course no jerkiness. If you use a higher bitrate, the image shall look
    better. Jerkiness is definitely a field order thing, unless he means
    what happens when a very low framerate is involved.

    The framerate is set to 30 fps, so i dont think it's that, i've also
    tried it at lower framerates to test it, but it made no difference.

    I shall re-capture / split / edit the thing from scratch, if nothing
    else, it's good practive for me.

    Well best be off, I've got alot of work to do.....

    Thanks to all.

    Alan.

    Alan wrote:
    > The framerate is set to 30 fps, so i dont think it's that, i've also
    > tried it at lower framerates to test it, but it made no difference.
    >
    > I shall re-capture / split / edit the thing from scratch, if nothing
    > else, it's good practive for me.
    >
    > Well best be off, I've got alot of work to do.....
    >
    > Thanks to all.
    >
    > Alan.

    And change the field from a-b or b-a.

    GA

    --
    My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

Tuner Cards Video Graphics