safely archiving a video file

September 30, 2005 12:56:33 AM

Can I take a avi file, convert it to a .wmv file using windows movie maker 2
and store it on a dvd for later use and reconverting back to avi for
editing and to take clips for another video? I am wondering if this is an
easy way to store movie files - or should I put the original back onto tape?

Al
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 12:56:34 AM

Each step you are describing will result in
a loss of video quality.

Archive the original .AVI to avoid this.

Use as many DVD's as is necessary. You can
use Virtual Dub to chop it up if it won't fit on
one DVD.

"Alan" <moskowa1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Can I take a avi file, convert it to a .wmv file using windows movie maker
2
> and store it on a dvd for later use and reconverting back to avi for
> editing and to take clips for another video? I am wondering if this is
an
> easy way to store movie files - or should I put the original back onto
tape?

> Al

September 30, 2005 1:57:43 AM

thanks - what if I used a program such as Norton Ghost to back up the file
(and compress it) - to store on dvd. Would that be an option

alan

!