Local VS remote hdwe config

April 1, 2004 12:49:43 PM

Does the remote XP session make use of the full video capabilities of the
remote workstation regardless of the configuration of the host box? For
example, we use a lot of dual-screen systems and it might be interesting to
have lower-end remote boxes with some heavy duty video hardware connecting
to the equivalent of 1-OU, XP "blade", rack-mounted, workstations in the
server room. These blade XP boxes would be CPU/Memory heavy but video
hardware light.

Just curious...

Garth
Anonymous
April 2, 2004 2:39:46 PM

Hi Garth,

The remote desktop session does not make use of the host's video hardware,
it is based on the client machine's video hardware. For example, RDP 5.1
enables you to experience 15-bit, 16-bit, and 24-bit color depth when you
connect to a Windows XP-based computer on condition that the local video
adapter is capable of this video depth.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

William Wang
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

from your issue.

--------------------
>From: "GarthK" <anonymous@nospam.com>
>Subject: Local VS remote hdwe config
>Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:49:43 -0600
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
>
>Does the remote XP session make use of the full video capabilities of the
>remote workstation regardless of the configuration of the host box? For
>example, we use a lot of dual-screen systems and it might be interesting to
>have lower-end remote boxes with some heavy duty video hardware connecting
>to the equivalent of 1-OU, XP "blade", rack-mounted, workstations in the
>server room. These blade XP boxes would be CPU/Memory heavy but video
>hardware light.
>
>Just curious...
>
>Garth

Anonymous
April 3, 2004 6:26:02 PM

In addition to this the maximum resulution is 1600x1200 and doesn't support dual-displays.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://www.workthin.com

----- William Wang[MSFT] wrote: -----

Hi Garth,

The remote desktop session does not make use of the host's video hardware,
it is based on the client machine's video hardware. For example, RDP 5.1
enables you to experience 15-bit, 16-bit, and 24-bit color depth when you
connect to a Windows XP-based computer on condition that the local video
adapter is capable of this video depth.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

William Wang
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

from your issue.

--------------------
>Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:49:43 -0600
>>Does the remote XP session make use of the full video capabilities of the
>remote workstation regardless of the configuration of the host box? For
>example, we use a lot of dual-screen systems and it might be interesting to
>have lower-end remote boxes with some heavy duty video hardware connecting
>to the equivalent of 1-OU, XP "blade", rack-mounted, workstations in the
>server room. These blade XP boxes would be CPU/Memory heavy but video
>hardware light.
>>Just curious...
>>Garth

Anonymous
April 5, 2004 12:46:48 PM

Questions answered. Too bad about not using dual screens, tho.

Thanx Much,
GarthK

!