Chasing IP addresses?

My son is using SBC/Yahoo DSL. I had him setup the installed 2wire portal
software per their instructions to allow Remote Desktop but still can't
connect to his computer from home or at work (both XP Pro). He is not using
the built-in XP firewall. I can ping his IP address but continue to get
"the client cannot connect to remote computer" error message. His computer
is connected directly to the DSL modem -- no router, network, etc. Also,
remote desktop is enabled in XP.

I thought maybe it was a dynamic IP address issue but pinging it comes back
valid (although maybe it is not his current IP address?). I know the last
time I checked his computer IP address it was different from just a few
days earlier so who knows? He keeps his computer online 24/7.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

tp

Try this, I have ran into this problem and it might work for U

Open Windows Explorer, Go to Tools, Folder Options, Select the View Folder and go all the way to the bottom, Remove the check mark from Use Simple file Sharing

If that doesn't work, check the 2Wire router settings and make sure it
allows TCP traffic on ports 3389 and 4125 to get to his internal IP address.
Could be called port forwarding or something else. I'd say 80% chance it's
the router that's blocking the connection.

Skip Shean

"TP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Try this, I have ran into this problem and it might work for U

Open Windows Explorer, Go to Tools, Folder Options, Select the View Folder
and go all the way to the bottom, Remove the check mark from Use Simple file
Sharing

This is from another post, but has a lot of good hyperlinks and is the same
issue expressed differently...

Good luck,

Skip Shean

JCH wrote:
> Here's my scenario (question to follow):
> I have a laptop running XP inside my local home network. I
> have another laptop within the network running Win2K. When
> I travel, I take the Win2K laptop with me. I want to know
> if there's a way to access the XP laptop from a remote
> site (assuming firewalls, etc. are not conflicting) using
> Remote Desktop.
>
> My question, assuming the above is correct, is: Is there a
> way/setting/configuration in Remote Desktop to allow for
> Auto-Accept incoming Remote Desktop requests (for example,
> my Win2K machine requesting) and auto-share the desktop?
>
> What my goal is out of this is to access the desktop of
> the XP machine to gain control of my webcam for checking
> on my animals and my home, since I don't have Server
> running and I cannot run Media Services.

Remote Desktop is not Remote Assistance.

Remote Desktop (XP Professional) is Remote Control without interaction from
the remote side.

Remote Assistance is remote Viewing and/or Remote Control, but only with
interaction from the remote side.

Read up:

*****Using Remote Desktop *****

Set Up Your Computer for Remote Desktop
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp

To setup your office computer to use Remote Desktop
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/enableremote.asp

*To install Remote Desktop Connection software on a client computer (XP)*
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/remoteclient.asp

To create a new Remote Desktop Connection
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/startremote.asp

Connecting to Windows 95, Windows 98 and 98 Second Edition, Windows Me,
Windows NT® 4.0, or Windows 2000, Remote Desktop Connection Software
Download.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp

Running Remote Desktop through a router

To run remote desktop thought a router at home you will need to enable port
forwarding, the process for this differs depending on the router.

Linksys http://www.proteknet.com/procedures/linksys/linksys_port_forward.htm
Netopia http://www.proteknet.com/procedures/netopia/port_forward_netopia.htm
Visionet
http://www.proteknet.com/procedures/visionnet/port_forward_visionnet.htm

On the source system (The PC you are controlling FROM) port 3389 must be
"port forwarded" to the IP address of the machine you want to connect TO

Configuring the Remote Desktop Client to Connect to a Specific Port
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304304

How to Change the Listening Port for Remote Desktop
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306759

Links

What is Remote Desktop in Windows XP?
http://www.petri.co.il/what's_remote_desktop.htm

Installing Remote Desktop Web Connection in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q284/9/31.asp&NoWebContent=1

How to use remote Desktop Access in Windows XP (Good Link!)
http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wxprmdtp.htm

Setting up a wireless Remote Desktop
http://www.wireless-network-guide.com/remote-desktop-windows-xp.php

Using Windows XP Windows XP Remote Desktop
http://www.2000trainers.com/article.aspx?articleID=201&page=1

Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance
http://www.labmice.net/WindowsXP/NetworkingXP/remote_desktop.htm

Good Luck.