Grain/artifacts with Pinnacle Studio AV/DV v.9

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 5, 2004 4:13:25 AM

Looking for help from those who have used Pinnacle Studio AV/DV v.9.
Computer is Dell Dimension P4 2,8 GHz, dig.vidcam is Sony HC40, using
PAL system. Have tried connections between vidcam and PC via both
firewire and composite video, with similar results as follows.

I am having problems getting a decent quality picture from
abovementioned product. When reviewing captured footage, I notice that
picture is blotchy (many artifacts), similar to low-resolution digital
still pictures. Panning looks awful. Note that I am examining in edit
mode and haven't burned a DVD yet.

In Setup->Capture format, I specify MPEG2, resolution 720x576 (highest),
data rate 8200 kbits/sec (highest), MPEG encoding after capture (to
reduce processor load). I cannot find any other panels/parameters that
would help here. What's left to try?

I had earlier scrapped an AverTV USB interface box due to the same
symptoms. I thought my trouble was caused by the slow USB interface. I
am surprised that using a PCI card and firewire has not made things better.

One other thing - I hooked up the same camera via analog (i.e.
composite, RCA) directly to a VHS recorder. The pictures produced there
were much better. Footage with lots of panning was rendered more
smoothly. Why would recording to the Pinnacle Studio give a worse
result? I looked at other postings on the NG and seen "field order",
amongst other things. But I cannot see a way of changing it with this
software.

Grateful for all suggestions on how to solve.

/Robert
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 12:01:52 AM

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:13:25 GMT, Robert <rxobert.bxrown@txripnet.se>
wrote:

>Looking for help from those who have used Pinnacle Studio AV/DV v.9.
>Computer is Dell Dimension P4 2,8 GHz, dig.vidcam is Sony HC40, using
>PAL system. Have tried connections between vidcam and PC via both
>firewire and composite video, with similar results as follows.
>
>I am having problems getting a decent quality picture from
>abovementioned product. When reviewing captured footage, I notice that
>picture is blotchy (many artifacts), similar to low-resolution digital
>still pictures. Panning looks awful. Note that I am examining in edit
>mode and haven't burned a DVD yet.

Onscreen preview isn't likely to look as good as the raw video.
Also, the monitor screen update rate may not mesh well with the video
playback rate (100hz refresh might work OK for PAL, while 60Hz is
sufficient for NTSC); this may depend on how your video driver handles
the preview window video.

Below you mention the field order and interlacing, and while that
can make the preview look odd if it mismatches, you don't want to
change it if it is correct. Which it should be, out of the box, with
most capture programs.

>In Setup->Capture format, I specify MPEG2, resolution 720x576 (highest),
>data rate 8200 kbits/sec (highest), MPEG encoding after capture (to
>reduce processor load). I cannot find any other panels/parameters that
>would help here. What's left to try?

To test capture/playback, capture as DV, then output to a new tape
the same way. It should play back on the camcorder unchanged, a
perfect copy.

BTW, you may know this, but if you're going to edit you're better
off capturing as DV, doing the edit, then rendering to mpeg2.

>I had earlier scrapped an AverTV USB interface box due to the same
>symptoms. I thought my trouble was caused by the slow USB interface. I
>am surprised that using a PCI card and firewire has not made things better.

Firewire may be faster, but if the AverTV is an analog video to
mpeg2, USB should be enough to handle that. USB2, OTOH, is fast
enough to handle video -- it is just that it isn't designed for that
primarily, whereas firewire is much better supported for video (both
camcorders and capture programs use firewire primarily).

>One other thing - I hooked up the same camera via analog (i.e.
>composite, RCA) directly to a VHS recorder. The pictures produced there
>were much better. Footage with lots of panning was rendered more
>smoothly. Why would recording to the Pinnacle Studio give a worse
>result? I looked at other postings on the NG and seen "field order",
>amongst other things. But I cannot see a way of changing it with this
>software.

On the computer monitor, the video just isn't likely to look as
smooth as on a video screen. Unless it is deinterlaced in software --
which either require a video board/software which does it for onscreen
display, or done as a post-process.

However, since TV video -- DVD or DV -- is interlaced, you don't
want to remove the interlacing, which helps make the motion smoother
on a TV.

Computer monitors aren't interlaced. I can't remember if Pinnacle
has any other options in its display choices, to make the display look
smoother.

The test should be whether the capture, when recorded, looks good
on TV. It should, most likely, in which case, the problem is entirely
on your computer monitor, and how it displays recorded video.

>Grateful for all suggestions on how to solve.
>
>/Robert

** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/&gt;
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/&gt;
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 12:27:55 PM

wrote:

>Looking for help from those who have used Pinnacle Studio AV/DV v.9.
>Computer is Dell Dimension P4 2,8 GHz, dig.vidcam is Sony HC40, using
>PAL system. Have tried connections between vidcam and PC via both
>firewire and composite video, with similar results as follows.
>
>I am having problems getting a decent quality picture from
>abovementioned product. When reviewing captured footage, I notice that
>picture is blotchy (many artifacts), similar to low-resolution digital
>still pictures. Panning looks awful. Note that I am examining in edit
>mode and haven't burned a DVD yet.
>
>In Setup->Capture format, I specify MPEG2, resolution 720x576 (highest),
>data rate 8200 kbits/sec (highest), MPEG encoding after capture (to
>reduce processor load). I cannot find any other panels/parameters that
>would help here. What's left to try?
>
>I had earlier scrapped an AverTV USB interface box due to the same
>symptoms. I thought my trouble was caused by the slow USB interface. I
>am surprised that using a PCI card and firewire has not made things better.
>
>One other thing - I hooked up the same camera via analog (i.e.
>composite, RCA) directly to a VHS recorder. The pictures produced there
>were much better. Footage with lots of panning was rendered more
>smoothly. Why would recording to the Pinnacle Studio give a worse
>result? I looked at other postings on the NG and seen "field order",
>amongst other things. But I cannot see a way of changing it with this
>software.
>
>Grateful for all suggestions on how to solve.
>
>/Robert

Have you made a DVD yet? That 'graininess' should dissappear once you
view the DVD on a player (I think)
August 6, 2004 2:57:40 PM

----8<---cut

>>I am having problems getting a decent quality picture from
>>abovementioned product. When reviewing captured footage, I notice that
>>picture is blotchy (many artifacts), similar to low-resolution digital
>>still pictures. Panning looks awful. Note that I am examining in edit
>>mode and haven't burned a DVD yet.
>>
>>In Setup->Capture format, I specify

---8<---cut

> Have you made a DVD yet? That 'graininess' should dissappear once you
> view the DVD on a player (I think)

Indeed, I decided to do this late last night and am getting good
results. I'll answer in more detail via Jeffery Jones' post, since there
are some more interesting details.

Thanks! /Robert
!