Windows 7 x64 Installation Error

CapnSensible

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I have an Intel Q9450 quad core, part of an existing system on which I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 bit. Mobo is an Asus P5Q. I am trying to install dual boot with 64 bit Win 7 on a separate partition (a freshly formatted hard drive). I am also using the 2102 BIOS.

I boot from the Win 7 DVD and make it through the Install screen. Windows copies files and then sits at "expanding files 0%" for several minutes. I then get the 0x80070006 error:
"Windows cannot install required files. Network problems may be preventing Windows from accessing the files. Make sure the computer is connected to the network and restart the installation."

I have downloaded the 64 bit Win 7 driver for the on-board network card and loaded it before starting the Win 7 installation process. Is there some other driver that I'm missing? Have others been able to install Win 7 64 bit on a P5Q?

TheOnion

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
I have a P5QL Pro and I also have problems installing Windows 7 Pro 64bit. My OS is Windows XP 32bit. My Setup.exe errors out stating setup.exe is not a valid 32bit file or something close to that.

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I don't know about your problem Sensible, but it sounds like Onion is trying to upgrade 32 to 64? I may have misread your reply but I believe you need to do a custom install to go form 32bit to 64bit

Sorry nothing as of now Sensible

You can not ungrade directly from XP to Win 7 - You must do a clean install.

CapnSensible

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Thanks for doing the searches with the same results.

I read that MS will not allow the upgrade-edition software to install if you boot directly from the disk. You must start the setup.exe that's on the disk, which is a problem if you want to go from a 32-bit system to 64 bit (i.e., you can't run the 64-bit setup from within a 32-bit Vista installation).

Here's what I did to get it to work:

I used a Vista 64-bit installation disk and put 64-bit Vista (no license key) on my new hard drive. I then started the setup.exe on the 64-bit Windows 7 disk and performed a Custom Installation and overwrote the just-installed Vista 64-bit. My Win 7 license key was accepted and I was able to authenticate.

What a pain to be able to do an upgrade!

hardwaretechy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
What a pain to be able to do an upgrade!

If i'm reading this correctly, you are not doing an upgrade. You are trying to dual boot 32-bit Vista and 64-bit Windows 7 installations. You were doing this with an upgrade edition disk, which will do a clean install, albeit with some restrictions.

CapnSensible

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
If i'm reading this correctly, you are not doing an upgrade. You are trying to dual boot 32-bit Vista and 64-bit Windows 7 installations. You were doing this with an upgrade edition disk, which will do a clean install, albeit with some restrictions.

I would have loved to straight upgrade from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Win7, but it didn't work. I could not run the setup.exe from within the 32-bit environment. Booting from the 64-bit disk didn't work either as I kept getting an error. Yes i did end up on a clean partition, but that was as a last resort when I couldn't install to the existing partition even with booting from the 64-bit disk.

I have no desire to keep the old Vista boot environment around and am going to delete it. It only exists as a consequence of the errors I received when trying to play by Microsoft's convoluted upgrade rules.

TRENDING THREADS