different ip addresses at different locations

I have two locations (main office and a remote site) Both locations have static IP addressing schemes that are different. I need to have the user login in to either site with the the correct ip address, subnetmask, gateway and dns servers.

I tried hardware profiles but that does work. Each time I change the IP address it changes it for all profiles. There is only one ethernet card as it is a laptop.
Neither locations have a DHCP in existence.

Help I can't find anything on this.

Thanks
Cathryn
5 answers Last reply
More about different addresses locations

    You can't do this in XP without a 3rd party product like Netswitcher. See
    http://www.netswitcher.com/

    --

    Thanks,
    Marc Reynolds

    "Cathryn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have two locations (main office and a remote site) Both locations have
    static IP addressing schemes that are different. I need to have the user
    login in to either site with the the correct ip address, subnetmask, gateway
    and dns servers.

    > I tried hardware profiles but that does work. Each time I change the IP
    address it changes it for all profiles. There is only one ethernet card as
    it is a laptop.
    > Neither locations have a DHCP in existence.
    >
    > Help I can't find anything on this.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Cathryn

    Just curious - why are you not using DHCP??

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    > Just curious - why are you not using DHCP??

    Depending on how you mean that question, Lanwench; either they already gave
    you that answer or they don't have control over the network at either
    location.

    Marc gave you one solution - third party products.

    Another solution would require some user knowledge/experience, but not much.
    Even assuming they must log into a domain, the machine will cache the logon
    and then, given the user have the correct rights, they could use a batch
    script you write for them to change the IP appropriately.

    We do this in several locations. Using a NETSH dump for each site and
    applying those dumps using the scripts. We have as many scripts on the
    laptop as the user has locations without DHCP and they run the appropriate
    script.

    Do a GOOGLE search for NETSH for more information, but essentially:

    To Save the current Settings, type the following command:

    netsh -c interface dump >settingssiteone.txt

    You can then create a dump file for every network that you use.

    To load a set of settings again, type the following command:

    netsh -f settingssiteone.txt

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    <snip>

    >Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    >> Just curious - why are you not using DHCP??
    >
    > Depending on how you mean that question, Lanwench; either they
    > already gave you that answer or they don't have control over the
    > network at either location.

    No, they didn't give me an answer, and since the OP phrased it as "I have
    two locations" and was talking about a user, it made me wonder whether this
    might indeed be under his/her control...I haven't used static addressing
    (besides printers/servers/network equipment) for ages! It was an innocent
    question. :-)

    <snip>

    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message

    > Another solution would require some user knowledge/experience, but not
    > much.
    > Even assuming they must log into a domain, the machine will cache the
    > logon
    > and then, given the user have the correct rights, they could use a batch
    > script you write for them to change the IP appropriately.
    >
    > We do this in several locations. Using a NETSH dump for each site and
    > applying those dumps using the scripts. We have as many scripts on the
    > laptop as the user has locations without DHCP and they run the appropriate
    > script.
    >
    > Do a GOOGLE search for NETSH for more information, but essentially:
    >
    > To Save the current Settings, type the following command:
    >
    > netsh -c interface dump >settingssiteone.txt
    >
    > You can then create a dump file for every network that you use.
    >
    > To load a set of settings again, type the following command:
    >
    > netsh -f settingssiteone.txt

    Netsh gets even more powerful with SP2--it will be able to configure both
    the IPV4 and IPV6 firewalls.

    This is a very useful mechanism, and I suspect we'll see more third-party
    stuff using it under the hood.

Windows XP