Vegas - crop advice required

I would be grateful for some advice with a video clip.

When I render the video and then play it in Windows media player, the
top few 'lines' of the video has some flashing (data?) lines visible.

Original video is taken from a VHS tape and I suspect it may be macrovision?

What is the best way/method/FX to delete these lines in Vegas before I
render the video again.

Jackie

Jackie wrote:
> I would be grateful for some advice with a video clip.
>
> When I render the video and then play it in Windows media player, the
> top few 'lines' of the video has some flashing (data?) lines visible.
>
> Original video is taken from a VHS tape and I suspect it may be
> macrovision?
>
> What is the best way/method/FX to delete these lines in Vegas before I
> render the video again.
>
> Jackie

The pan/crop tool could be used for this. You could also create a mask for
the offending lines. Page 221 of the Vegas 5 manual discusses how to do
simple masks. Not sure which would be faster for rendering.

Mike

Jackie,

I get similar lines at the bottom of the Windows Media Player, but the
lines are outside the "safe" area and do not show up on TV.

If you are planning to view your final video from a DVD on TV, then
you can test this fairly quickly by taking only a few minutes of your
clip, rendering it and creating a quick DVD using DVD RW to avoid
wasting a DVD.

John

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:10:15 GMT, Jackie <noreply@bigpond.com> wrote:

>I would be grateful for some advice with a video clip.
>
>When I render the video and then play it in Windows media player, the
>top few 'lines' of the video has some flashing (data?) lines visible.
>
>Original video is taken from a VHS tape and I suspect it may be macrovision?
>
>What is the best way/method/FX to delete these lines in Vegas before I
>render the video again.
>
>Jackie

Thanks Mike,

The crop tool did the job. Took a bit of getting used to though!

Jackie

Jackie wrote:
> Thanks Mike,
>
> The crop tool did the job. Took a bit of getting used to though!
>
> Jackie

You're welcome Jackie. Glad it worked for you.
As John said though, odds are you won't see these lines on a standard TV
set.
OTOH, if it's destined for viewing on a computer, then you have no choice
but to crop/mask it.

Mike

> Mike Kujbida wrote:
>> Jackie wrote:
>>
>>> I would be grateful for some advice with a video clip.
>>>
>>> When I render the video and then play it in Windows media player,
>>> the top few 'lines' of the video has some flashing (data?) lines
>>> visible.
>>>
>>> Original video is taken from a VHS tape and I suspect it may be
>>> macrovision?
>>>
>>> What is the best way/method/FX to delete these lines in Vegas
>>> before I render the video again.
>>>
>>> Jackie
>>

>> The pan/crop tool could be used for this. You could also create a
>> mask for the offending lines. Page 221 of the Vegas 5 manual
>> discusses how to do simple masks. Not sure which would be faster
>> for rendering.
>>
>> Mike

Mike,

Is this effect on the top few lines macrovision?
Just curious!

Jackie

Mike Kujbida wrote:
> Jackie wrote:
>
>>Thanks Mike,
>>
>>The crop tool did the job. Took a bit of getting used to though!
>>
>>Jackie
>

> You're welcome Jackie. Glad it worked for you.
> As John said though, odds are you won't see these lines on a standard TV
> set.
> OTOH, if it's destined for viewing on a computer, then you have no choice
> but to crop/mask it.
>
> Mike
>

>>Mike Kujbida wrote:

>>>The pan/crop tool could be used for this. You could also create a
>>>mask for the offending lines. Page 221 of the Vegas 5 manual
>>>discusses how to do simple masks. Not sure which would be faster
>>>for rendering.
>>>
>>>Mike

Jackie, how did you capture it? The reason I ask is that the presence of
macrovison "generally" halts any attempt to copy the tape. If a Canopus box
was used, these can supposedly bypass it.
It could be macrovison but it could also be the closed captioning stream or
the VITS (Vertical Interval Test Signal) that you're seeing (although,
because all these signals occur in the very top of the frame, they're are
generally hidden from normal viewing).
A long way of saying "I'm really not sure". Your guess is as good as mine
:)

Mike

Jackie wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Is this effect on the top few lines macrovision?
> Just curious!
>
> Jackie
>

> Mike Kujbida wrote:
>> Jackie wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Mike,
>>>
>>> The crop tool did the job. Took a bit of getting used to though!
>>>
>>> Jackie
>>

>> You're welcome Jackie. Glad it worked for you.
>> As John said though, odds are you won't see these lines on a
>> standard TV set.
>> OTOH, if it's destined for viewing on a computer, then you have no
>> choice but to crop/mask it.
>>
>> Mike

Hi Mike and thanks for your interest/support on this one. The VHS is a
commercially produced training tape that I played on my VHS player and
then captured into Vegas via my camera firewire.

Jackie

Mike Kujbida wrote:
> Jackie, how did you capture it? The reason I ask is that the presence of
> macrovison "generally" halts any attempt to copy the tape. If a Canopus box
> was used, these can supposedly bypass it.
> It could be macrovison but it could also be the closed captioning stream or
> the VITS (Vertical Interval Test Signal) that you're seeing (although,
> because all these signals occur in the very top of the frame, they're are
> generally hidden from normal viewing).
> A long way of saying "I'm really not sure". Your guess is as good as mine
> :)
>
> Mike
>
> Jackie wrote:
>
>>Mike,
>>
>>Is this effect on the top few lines macrovision?
>>Just curious!
>>
>>Jackie
>>

>>Mike Kujbida wrote:

>>>You're welcome Jackie. Glad it worked for you.
>>>As John said though, odds are you won't see these lines on a
>>>standard TV set.
>>>OTOH, if it's destined for viewing on a computer, then you have no
>>>choice but to crop/mask it.
>>>
>>>Mike

Not sure what to think Jackie. The important thing for you is that you were
able to capture it and do something with it.
BTW, If you're interested, you can find some excellent Vegas tutorials at
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~wvg/tutorial-menu.htm
and http://thetroxels.com/vegas/forum/ (check out his excellent
newsletters).
There is also the Sony forum at http://tinyurl.com/6vybn
the Cow forum at http://tinyurl.com/5gkm9
and the DMN forum at http://tinyurl.com/kk0r for more help.
There's also a fairly complete collection of scripts at
http://s92274348.onlinehome.us/vegas.html

Mike