All in one video capture, editing, authoring solution... V..

Hello,

I have messed around a little with Premiere 6.5, Ulead Video Studio,
and a few others but have not come across a "all in one" solution that
provides one package from start to finish. Using one program for all
aspects of creating home movies, or even prosumer wedding videos is
enticing. Premiere is great for importing video and editing but does
not have the ability to create a nice motion menu. The thought of
using multiple programs is discouraging and expensive. Recently I
came across Vegas+DVD and it looks like a winner. Has anyone any
thoughts on this software as being the a good solution for the
prosumer? Also, if I continue to use Premiere will I be able to use
only the DVD Architect portion of the package or is it built into
Vegas?

Thanks

"istman" <istman@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have messed around a little with Premiere 6.5, Ulead Video Studio,
> and a few others but have not come across a "all in one" solution that
> provides one package from start to finish. Using one program for all
> aspects of creating home movies, or even prosumer wedding videos is
> enticing. Premiere is great for importing video and editing but does
> not have the ability to create a nice motion menu. The thought of
> using multiple programs is discouraging and expensive. Recently I
> came across Vegas+DVD and it looks like a winner. Has anyone any
> thoughts on this software as being the a good solution for the
> prosumer? Also, if I continue to use Premiere will I be able to use
> only the DVD Architect portion of the package or is it built into
> Vegas?
>
> Thanks

I'm no expert, but I am very pleased with Vegas+DVD. I'm not alone. Google
search and you will find all you need to make your own judgment. Yes, you
can still use DVD Architect, but I doubt that you will need to or want to
after trying the Vegas DVD authoring software. I'm not saying it is better
than DVD-A, just that it seems to handle all normal DVD authoring tasks very
well.

Steve King

istman@bellsouth.net (istman) wrote in the
aforementionednews:306980a9.0408050543.1d598ea5@posting.google.com:

> Hello,
>
> I have messed around a little with Premiere 6.5, Ulead Video Studio,
> and a few others but have not come across a "all in one" solution that
> provides one package from start to finish. Using one program for all
> aspects of creating home movies, or even prosumer wedding videos is
> enticing. Premiere is great for importing video and editing but does
> not have the ability to create a nice motion menu. The thought of
> using multiple programs is discouraging and expensive. Recently I
> came across Vegas+DVD and it looks like a winner. Has anyone any
> thoughts on this software as being the a good solution for the
> prosumer? Also, if I continue to use Premiere will I be able to use
> only the DVD Architect portion of the package or is it built into
> Vegas?
>
> Thanks

I've been very happy with it's ease of use. I just got the '5' pkg, and
it just gets better. The included DVD Architect in the combo pkg is
nice, too. For one thing, I can animate the menu images, which I could
not do in Ulead Moviefactory (they were static, or I didn't find the
right setting). Trivia trivia.

Vegas doesn't seem to be as restrictive on hardware as Premiere, not that
I don't like Premiere! It rocks, but Vegas has been faster for me to get
things done.

Rendering time is an issue for me, so I posted some questions in another
thread.

luck,
david

Steve King wrote:
> "istman" <istman@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have messed around a little with Premiere 6.5, Ulead Video Studio,
>> and a few others but have not come across a "all in one" solution
>> that provides one package from start to finish. Using one program
>> for all aspects of creating home movies, or even prosumer wedding
>> videos is enticing. Premiere is great for importing video and
>> editing but does not have the ability to create a nice motion menu.
>> The thought of using multiple programs is discouraging and
>> expensive. Recently I came across Vegas+DVD and it looks like a
>> winner. Has anyone any thoughts on this software as being the a
>> good solution for the prosumer? Also, if I continue to use Premiere
>> will I be able to use only the DVD Architect portion of the package
>> or is it built into Vegas?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I'm no expert, but I am very pleased with Vegas+DVD. I'm not alone.
> Google search and you will find all you need to make your own
> judgment. Yes, you can still use DVD Architect, but I doubt that you
> will need to or want to after trying the Vegas DVD authoring
> software. I'm not saying it is better than DVD-A, just that it seems
> to handle all normal DVD authoring tasks very well.
>
> Steve King

Steve, I hope I'm misunderstanding what you wrote here but "Vegas+DVD" is
Vegas and DVD Architect together in one package.
From the Sony site at
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/vegasfamily.asp
"In addition to Vegas 5 software, this integrated production suite includes
a Dolby certified AC-3 encoder and the latest version of our professional
DVD authoring solution, DVD Architect™ 2 software."

Mike

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Steve King wrote:
> > "istman" <istman@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have messed around a little with Premiere 6.5, Ulead Video Studio,
> >> and a few others but have not come across a "all in one" solution
> >> that provides one package from start to finish. Using one program
> >> for all aspects of creating home movies, or even prosumer wedding
> >> videos is enticing. Premiere is great for importing video and
> >> editing but does not have the ability to create a nice motion menu.
> >> The thought of using multiple programs is discouraging and
> >> expensive. Recently I came across Vegas+DVD and it looks like a
> >> winner. Has anyone any thoughts on this software as being the a
> >> good solution for the prosumer? Also, if I continue to use Premiere
> >> will I be able to use only the DVD Architect portion of the package
> >> or is it built into Vegas?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > I'm no expert, but I am very pleased with Vegas+DVD. I'm not alone.
> > Google search and you will find all you need to make your own
> > judgment. Yes, you can still use DVD Architect, but I doubt that you
> > will need to or want to after trying the Vegas DVD authoring
> > software. I'm not saying it is better than DVD-A, just that it seems
> > to handle all normal DVD authoring tasks very well.
> >
> > Steve King
>

> Steve, I hope I'm misunderstanding what you wrote here but "Vegas+DVD" is
> Vegas and DVD Architect together in one package.
> From the Sony site at
> http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/vegasfamily.asp
> "In addition to Vegas 5 software, this integrated production suite
includes
> a Dolby certified AC-3 encoder and the latest version of our professional
> DVD authoring solution, DVD Architect™ 2 software."
>
> Mike

Oops. Brain F**t. I thought he was referring to the DVD authoring
associated with Premiere and mistakenly called it Architect.

Steve King

Steve King wrote:
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Steve King wrote:
>>> "istman" <istman@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

>>> I'm no expert, but I am very pleased with Vegas+DVD. I'm not alone.
>>> Google search and you will find all you need to make your own
>>> judgment. Yes, you can still use DVD Architect, but I doubt that
>>> you will need to or want to after trying the Vegas DVD authoring
>>> software. I'm not saying it is better than DVD-A, just that it
>>> seems to handle all normal DVD authoring tasks very well.
>>>
>>> Steve King
>>

>> Steve, I hope I'm misunderstanding what you wrote here but
>> "Vegas+DVD" is Vegas and DVD Architect together in one package.
>> From the Sony site at
>> http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/vegasfamily.asp
>> "In addition to Vegas 5 software, this integrated production suite
>> includes a Dolby certified AC-3 encoder and the latest version of
>> our professional DVD authoring solution, DVD Architect™ 2 software."
>>
>> Mike
>
> Oops. Brain F**t. I thought he was referring to the DVD authoring
> associated with Premiere and mistakenly called it Architect.
>
> Steve King

No problem Steve.
As you can probably tell, I'm a Vegas/DVDA fan myself.
Now we just have to convince the "other" NLE users that they're missing out
on a great piece of software and we'll all be much happier :).

Mike

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:15:02 -0400, "Mike Kujbida"
<kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>No problem Steve.
>As you can probably tell, I'm a Vegas/DVDA fan myself.
>Now we just have to convince the "other" NLE users that they're missing out
>on a great piece of software and we'll all be much happier :).
>
>Mike

I'm a convert (but still waiting on the mailman). Finally retiring
Pinnacle 8. I also get to see how DVD Architech stacks up against
DVDit 5.

Rich M.

Richard M. wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:15:02 -0400, "Mike Kujbida"
> <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>> No problem Steve.
>> As you can probably tell, I'm a Vegas/DVDA fan myself.
>> Now we just have to convince the "other" NLE users that they're
>> missing out on a great piece of software and we'll all be much
>> happier :).
>>
>> Mike
>

> I'm a convert (but still waiting on the mailman). Finally retiring
> Pinnacle 8. I also get to see how DVD Architech stacks up against
> DVDit 5.
>

> Rich M.

I've only ever used DVDA (both 1 & 2) so I'd be interested in your opinion
once you get a handle on it.
BTW, if you have access to a high-speed line, check out the Vegas & DVDA
seminars from NAB at http://stream.imagebeam.com/NABStream/

Mike

I greatly appreciate all of the comments. Thank you all.

Yesterday evening I downloaded the trial versions of Vegas & DVDA.
It's kind of weird that Vegas requires .Net framework. I also
downloaded some free themes and animated menu backgrounds. This
software, at least DVDA, is definitely a step in the right direction.
Both have a learning curve but I was able to edit and burn with a menu
within 30 minutes. It's quite different from Premiere and I am not
sure if I like the workflow. The decision now will be whether to edit
in Premiere or Vegas. It looks like I will be authoring in DVDA.

Thanks again.

david gourley <davidg@ipass.net> wrote in message news:<Xns953CBAC966B28davidgipassnet@216.196.97.142>...
> istman@bellsouth.net (istman) wrote in the
> aforementionednews:306980a9.0408050543.1d598ea5@posting.google.com:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have messed around a little with Premiere 6.5, Ulead Video Studio,
> > and a few others but have not come across a "all in one" solution that
> > provides one package from start to finish. Using one program for all
> > aspects of creating home movies, or even prosumer wedding videos is
> > enticing. Premiere is great for importing video and editing but does
> > not have the ability to create a nice motion menu. The thought of
> > using multiple programs is discouraging and expensive. Recently I
> > came across Vegas+DVD and it looks like a winner. Has anyone any
> > thoughts on this software as being the a good solution for the
> > prosumer? Also, if I continue to use Premiere will I be able to use
> > only the DVD Architect portion of the package or is it built into
> > Vegas?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I've been very happy with it's ease of use. I just got the '5' pkg, and
> it just gets better. The included DVD Architect in the combo pkg is
> nice, too. For one thing, I can animate the menu images, which I could
> not do in Ulead Moviefactory (they were static, or I didn't find the
> right setting). Trivia trivia.
>
> Vegas doesn't seem to be as restrictive on hardware as Premiere, not that
> I don't like Premiere! It rocks, but Vegas has been faster for me to get
> things done.
>
> Rendering time is an issue for me, so I posted some questions in another
> thread.
>
> luck,
> david

One other quick question... Does the retail package come with more
animated backgrounds, themes, transitions, images, options, etc. than
the trial version? (for both Vegas and DVDA).

istman wrote:
> I greatly appreciate all of the comments. Thank you all.
>
> Yesterday evening I downloaded the trial versions of Vegas & DVDA.
> It's kind of weird that Vegas requires .Net framework. I also
> downloaded some free themes and animated menu backgrounds. This
> software, at least DVDA, is definitely a step in the right direction.
> Both have a learning curve but I was able to edit and burn with a menu
> within 30 minutes. It's quite different from Premiere and I am not
> sure if I like the workflow. The decision now will be whether to edit
> in Premiere or Vegas. It looks like I will be authoring in DVDA.
>
> Thanks again.

Give Vegas a chance. Accoring to the various Vegas forums, a lot of
Premiere users are glad to have made the switch. Another benefit (unlike
Premiere) is that prices for incremental version increases are free or very
inexpensive. There are also a number of free or very cheap utilities that
users have written to speed up the workflow.
I still use a dpsVelocity at work and the differences between it and Vegas
were similar to the Premiere/Vegas differences. After a week though, I find
I now do most of my work on Vegas. I just find it more intuitive - and the
audio tools are fantastic :)

Mike

> One other quick question... Does the retail package come with more
> animated backgrounds, themes, transitions, images, options, etc. than
> the trial version? (for both Vegas and DVDA).
>

> david gourley <davidg@ipass.net> wrote in message
>> istman@bellsouth.net (istman) wrote in the
>> aforementionednews:306980a9.0408050543.1d598ea5@posting.google.com:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have messed around a little with Premiere 6.5, Ulead Video
>> > Studio, and a few others but have not come across a "all in one"
>> > solution that provides one package from start to finish. Using one
>> > program for all aspects of creating home movies, or even prosumer
>> > wedding videos is enticing. Premiere is great for importing video
>> > and editing but does not have the ability to create a nice motion
>> > menu. The thought of using multiple programs is discouraging and
>> > expensive. Recently I came across Vegas+DVD and it looks like a
>> > winner. Has anyone any thoughts on this software as being the a
>> > good solution for the prosumer? Also, if I continue to use
>> > Premiere will I be able to use only the DVD Architect portion of
>> > the package or is it built into Vegas?

Can't say for sure, but i'd suspect so. There are features unavailable
in the trial version that are functional in the full version.

david