Video cards, display, and Vegas rendering

I'm currently using Vegas Video, and rendering can take up to 6hrs or
better on heavily edited, 1hr + video files. Since time is money, I'd
like to reduce this factor where possible. I'm using an AMD xp1600+ w/
512mb ram, soon to be upgraded to 1gb and a faster cpu (new asus m/b).

Anyone have a realtime card they'd recommend? How is Canopus and Matrox,
although I see they're 'optimized' for Premiere? Any others? I'm
currently monitoring with an ATI AIW128pro, which is 'ok' but will never
be enough for this type of work.

While I'm at it, how about for dual-display as well? Will I be stuck
with multiple video /rendering cards to get this done??

(many) TIA,

david

david gourley wrote:
> I'm currently using Vegas Video, and rendering can take up to 6hrs or
> better on heavily edited, 1hr + video files. Since time is money,
> I'd like to reduce this factor where possible. I'm using an AMD
> xp1600+ w/ 512mb ram, soon to be upgraded to 1gb and a faster cpu
> (new asus m/b).

You'll be able to cut that time substantially with a faster CPU. Folks on
various Vegas forums have reported (depending on the CPU speed increase)
anywhere from a 200% to 500% increase (or more!!).

> Anyone have a realtime card they'd recommend? How is Canopus and
> Matrox, although I see they're 'optimized' for Premiere? Any
> others? I'm currently monitoring with an ATI AIW128pro, which is
> 'ok' but will never be enough for this type of work.

Vegas isn't designed to take advantage of any realtime cards.

> While I'm at it, how about for dual-display as well? Will I be stuck
> with multiple video /rendering cards to get this done??

Check out the NVidia GeForce or the Matrox series of dual-head cards.
Excellent for Vegas (but not for gamers, if this is a requirement).
I'd also suggest a search of this topic on the Sony Vegas forum at
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/forums/ShowTopics.asp?ForumID=4

> (many) TIA,
>
> david

You're quite welcome.

Mike

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in the
aforementionednews:2nfun9Fgdi2U1@uni-berlin.de:

> david gourley wrote:
>> I'm currently using Vegas Video, and rendering can take up to 6hrs or
>> better on heavily edited, 1hr + video files. Since time is money,
>> I'd like to reduce this factor where possible. I'm using an AMD
>> xp1600+ w/ 512mb ram, soon to be upgraded to 1gb and a faster cpu
>> (new asus m/b).
>

> You'll be able to cut that time substantially with a faster CPU.
> Folks on various Vegas forums have reported (depending on the CPU
> speed increase) anywhere from a 200% to 500% increase (or more!!).
>

>> Anyone have a realtime card they'd recommend? How is Canopus and
>> Matrox, although I see they're 'optimized' for Premiere? Any
>> others? I'm currently monitoring with an ATI AIW128pro, which is
>> 'ok' but will never be enough for this type of work.
>

> Vegas isn't designed to take advantage of any realtime cards.
>

>> While I'm at it, how about for dual-display as well? Will I be stuck
>> with multiple video /rendering cards to get this done??
>

> Check out the NVidia GeForce or the Matrox series of dual-head cards.
> Excellent for Vegas (but not for gamers, if this is a requirement).
> I'd also suggest a search of this topic on the Sony Vegas forum at
> http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/forums/ShowTopics.asp?ForumID=4
>

>> (many) TIA,
>>
>> david
>

> You're quite welcome.
>
> Mike

well, i guess the realtime answer is a money saver already ;)

gaming not a requirement, will check those cards.

off to the forum,
david

rs

The old Matrox G450 and 500 line of dual head cards are stable and excellent
for video work work if your on a budget, or, or a bit more get the Matrox
Parahelion dual card.