VHS Playback Problem

I have a VHS tape which, when played back, has a distorted image at the top
of the screen (skewed to one side and abnormally bright ).

Here is a link to still frames of it ...

http://tinyurl.com/56e96

Does anyone know what might cause this? Thanks in advance
9 answers Last reply
More about playback problem

    IMHO, the video playback tracking looks out of alignment. Have you tried to
    adjust it? Do all your tapes do this? If not, it looks like a poorly
    recorded tape.

    rqo

    "rqo" <safetyo@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > IMHO, the video playback tracking looks out of alignment. Have you tried
    > adjust it? Do all your tapes do this? If not, it looks like a poorly
    > recorded tape.

    Thanks for your reply. I tried adjusting the tracking control but this is
    as good as the image quality gets. And yes, this is the only tape I have
    that does this. If it is the recording itself, any idea what could have gone
    wrong to cause this problem?

    I would think any number of things could have gone wrong with the recording.
    Not knowing where the original came from or it's condition, my thoughts
    would be:
    The source could have been bad to start with.
    The video feed was weak or did not have a solid connection, possibly a bad
    rca plug (if that's how you made the copy, by going tape deck to tape
    deck.).
    The recording head was out of alignment.
    The recording head was dirty or just plain worn.
    Your tape deck did not like the brand of tape.
    ?????? Gremlins :)

    > "rqo" <safetyo@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > IMHO, the video playback tracking looks out of alignment. Have you
    tried
    > > adjust it? Do all your tapes do this? If not, it looks like a poorly
    > > recorded tape.
    > >

    > Thanks for your reply. I tried adjusting the tracking control but this is
    > as good as the image quality gets. And yes, this is the only tape I have
    > that does this. If it is the recording itself, any idea what could have
    gone
    > wrong to cause this problem?

    "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I have a VHS tape which, when played back, has a distorted image at the top
    >of the screen (skewed to one side and abnormally bright ).
    >
    >Here is a link to still frames of it ...
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/56e96

    It might help to fast-forward the tape to the end and then rewind it
    before playing it. When tapes have been stored for a long time, they
    can become unevenly wound or something like that. It might also help
    to try a different VCR.

    If all else fails, programs like TMPGEnc can be used to mask the
    distorted area.

    <DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > It might help to fast-forward the tape to the end and then
    > rewind it before playing it. When tapes have been stored
    > for a long time, they can become unevenly wound or
    >something like that.

    Tried that, fast forwarding and rewinding several times. Makes no
    difference.

    > If all else fails, programs like TMPGEnc can be used to mask the
    > distorted area.

    That's my plan ;-)

    "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2nir48F1b30rU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > <DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >

    > > It might help to fast-forward the tape to the end and then
    > > rewind it before playing it. When tapes have been stored
    > > for a long time, they can become unevenly wound or
    > >something like that.
    > >

    > Tried that, fast forwarding and rewinding several times. Makes no
    > difference.
    >

    > > If all else fails, programs like TMPGEnc can be used to mask the
    > > distorted area.
    > >

    > That's my plan ;-)

    Most of the other posters are correct in that the Horizontal sync was
    probably supressed while recording and or transfer from one recording
    device to another..As they said it could be due poor VCR
    alignment(more than likley than not the leading tape guide on the
    recording VCR since it is the top of the picture and not the bottom,
    that would indicate the following guide)..If this tape is irreplacable
    you can try a "corrector" or "stabilizer" that they sell that may help
    this type of condition....As a second suggestion you might try another
    monitor or TV to view
    the tape..Some TV's have poor horizontal oscillator recovery after the
    vertical retrace...
    Good luck,
    jolphil..

    "Tim" wrote ...
    > I have a VHS tape which, when played back, has a distorted
    > image at the top of the screen (skewed to one side and
    > abnormally bright ).
    >
    > Here is a link to still frames of it ...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/56e96
    >
    > Does anyone know what might cause this? Thanks in advance

    Looks like common interchange error to me. (Playback
    machine and record machine are not in alignment together).

    Try to play it back on the same machine that recorded it.

    Is this at the standard (2-hour) speed, or at extended (6-hour)
    speed? Slow (6-hour) speed is much more difficult to track
    even with the recording machine.

    Most common solutions are: playback on same machine that
    recorded it and/or TimeBase Correction (TBC).

    On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:01:58 -0400, "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I have a VHS tape which, when played back, has a distorted image at the top
    >of the screen (skewed to one side and abnormally bright ).
    >
    >Here is a link to still frames of it ...
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/56e96
    >
    >Does anyone know what might cause this? Thanks in advance

    Looks like a weak control track to me. Do you have access to
    a time base corrector you can run the signal through?
    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!

    >I have a VHS tape which, when played back, has a distorted image at the top
    >of the screen (skewed to one side and abnormally bright ).
    >
    >Here is a link to still frames of it ...
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/56e96
    >
    >Does anyone know what might cause this? Thanks in advance

    How quickly knowledge goes away!!

    Your description of the problem is most consistent with "flagging" caused by a
    difference in feed-reel brake tension between the recording machine and the
    playback machine. On 3/4" U-Matic machines, there was a (mechanical) back
    tension adjustment ("Skew")...VHS machines never had this. The skew adjustment
    on VHS machines is internal only.

    If your problem tape contains "original" video...that is: The flagging was not
    recorded into the image...then it is theoretically possible to mis-adjust your
    current playback deck to match the original recorder. If the flagging is
    recorded-in (was happenening during an earlier dubbing operation), then your
    only option is to mask it out...it cannot be removed by mechanical or
    electronic manipulation.

    webpa

Tuner Cards Desktops Video Graphics