Olympus Digital Camera Repairs

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
January 7, 2005 4:44:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.reapir (More info?)

Tom posted a question about refurb cameras.... I'd say Richard is right --
if you can find a new one in your price range, I would buy a new one.

With my experience with Olympus and their expensive flat rate repair policy,
I would also consider getting an extended warranty - again depending on the
price.

Based on my experience with Olympus cameras, if they have a 3-5 year
warranty for $50, I would take it. Anything less than 2 years would be worth
about $10-20 extra to me.

FYI, flat rate repair costs are (plus shipping about $6):

C750 - $144
C700 - $154 (mine)
D340L - $105 (my old camera)

In general if they can fix it by cleaning or otherwise not replacing parts,
it's a minimu $29. Otherwise the flat rate applies.

Mine is a C700 and flat rate repair is $154 plus $6 shipping regardless of
what is wrong. This is a good deal if you ran over it with your lawn mower,
but not if it's just a something simple that you could replace. Bad news is
that they don't make any service literature available to their customers.

OK... Here's more info that you wanted, but hope it might help you and
others...

I am one of those guys who (thinks he) can fix anything with a rubber band
and paper clip. Plus, I can't resist a "bargain" and end up with lots of 2nd
hand stuff - most of which works just fine.

However, if you're not a tinkerer or if you need one to work first time
every time, stick with a new one.

Before that, I bought a D-340L, and also happy with it until it finally
stopped working and I took it all apart (parts are still in a zip lock).
Not related, but the D-340L (maybe others) has a problem with the battery
door hinges breaking off. They sell them for $6 each, and when the 2nd one
broke, I bought a few spares. The springs were stronger than the plastic
hinges. (After replacing the 2nd door, I squeezed the hinges back so there
was less pressure.)

To buy refurb from Olympus, call NY office at (800) 201-7766 or order online
at www.olympusamerica.com - click on "emporium"

More info than you wanted, I know.... but Richard and others have really
helped me and I'd like to do the same.

Fred
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 7:19:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.reapir (More info?)

> Mine is a C700 and flat rate repair is $154 plus $6 shipping regardless of
> what is wrong. This is a good deal if you ran over it with your lawn
> mower,
> but not if it's just a something simple that you could replace. Bad news
> is
> that they don't make any service literature available to their customers.

Actually, Olympus has two "flat" repair rates. One is what you listed, the
other (a fair amount higher) applies to cameras that need major assemblies
replaced, which would often include a lens.

Fortunately, Olympus was very kind to me when my Oly 5050 went in for the
second time, post-warranty, with the same problem... a problem that I
admitted was caused by a fall. Not much of a fall, but it wasn't an obvious
defect (and I did admit it to them). They did the first repair as a
warranty, and the second one as a "re-do" of the first one... even though it
required replacement of the entire lens assembly. But I believe the
fixed-rate pricing was something like $180 for standard repairs, and about
$300 for something nasty.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> Tom posted a question about refurb cameras.... I'd say Richard is right --
> if you can find a new one in your price range, I would buy a new one.
>
> With my experience with Olympus and their expensive flat rate repair
> policy,
> I would also consider getting an extended warranty - again depending on
> the
> price.
>
> Based on my experience with Olympus cameras, if they have a 3-5 year
> warranty for $50, I would take it. Anything less than 2 years would be
> worth
> about $10-20 extra to me.
>
> FYI, flat rate repair costs are (plus shipping about $6):
>
> C750 - $144
> C700 - $154 (mine)
> D340L - $105 (my old camera)
>
> In general if they can fix it by cleaning or otherwise not replacing
> parts,
> it's a minimu $29. Otherwise the flat rate applies.
>
> Mine is a C700 and flat rate repair is $154 plus $6 shipping regardless of
> what is wrong. This is a good deal if you ran over it with your lawn
> mower,
> but not if it's just a something simple that you could replace. Bad news
> is
> that they don't make any service literature available to their customers.
>
> OK... Here's more info that you wanted, but hope it might help you and
> others...
>
> I am one of those guys who (thinks he) can fix anything with a rubber band
> and paper clip. Plus, I can't resist a "bargain" and end up with lots of
> 2nd
> hand stuff - most of which works just fine.
>
> However, if you're not a tinkerer or if you need one to work first time
> every time, stick with a new one.
>
> Before that, I bought a D-340L, and also happy with it until it finally
> stopped working and I took it all apart (parts are still in a zip lock).
> Not related, but the D-340L (maybe others) has a problem with the battery
> door hinges breaking off. They sell them for $6 each, and when the 2nd
> one
> broke, I bought a few spares. The springs were stronger than the plastic
> hinges. (After replacing the 2nd door, I squeezed the hinges back so there
> was less pressure.)
>
> To buy refurb from Olympus, call NY office at (800) 201-7766 or order
> online
> at www.olympusamerica.com - click on "emporium"
>
> More info than you wanted, I know.... but Richard and others have really
> helped me and I'd like to do the same.
>
> Fred

January 10, 2005 2:59:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.reapir (More info?)

Mike is right.... a cracked lens or anything that is obviously not a
"component failure" is not included in the $154 flat rate for a C-700 also.
(My comment about running over with the lawn mower was tongue in cheek --
that's definitely not covered in the flat rate.)

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > every time, stick with a new one.
> >
> > Before that, I bought a D-340L, and also happy with it until it finally
> > stopped working and I took it all apart (parts are still in a zip lock).
> > Not related, but the D-340L (maybe others) has a problem with the
battery
> > door hinges breaking off. They sell them for $6 each, and when the 2nd
> > one
> > broke, I bought a few spares. The springs were stronger than the plastic
> > hinges. (After replacing the 2nd door, I squeezed the hinges back so
there
> > was less pressure.)
> >
> > To buy refurb from Olympus, call NY office at (800) 201-7766 or order
> > online
> > at www.olympusamerica.com - click on "emporium"
> >
> > More info than you wanted, I know.... but Richard and others have really

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 8:37:10 PM

Honestly, with the high repair cost, I'd just use that toward a new camera. You
can get a new camera for the price you pay to repair the one, unless its one of
the upwards of 1,000 or more dollars type models.
!