How output edited DV video on DVD quality level?

Hi all,

I finally have a system with drives fast enough to start with home video
editing and have a few questions on how to get the level of quality
(resolution) in the movies I produce, hope someone can help me out here.

The system:
AMD64 3200+ 1.8 GHz
RAM 1G
process HD SIDE 40G
data HD SIDE 90G
Win XP
Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0
Pinnacle Studio 9

1 - I am editing a DV tape and find that when I export to video or Mpeg2 in
Adobe Premiere the result is not what I would expect in terms of
resolution - when I play the resulting file back in Media player it's like a
somewhat worn VHS tape. When I choose export movie (Microsoft DV AVI) for a
28 second test file is 105mb. I am looking to produce DVD quality.

In Studio 9 I have the same problem. I did notice here that there was a
noticeable improvement if I exported using dvd setting instead of VHS
setting, but the end result of Studio matches that of Premiere - VHS
quality.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get DVD quality? What sort of
settings do I need to tweak to get that quality? The goal is twofold, (1) to
burn a dvd playable in a regular dvd player, and (2) to create a movie file
on the PC which I can burn on a dvd as normal data.

2 - While trying to export to mpeg-2 in Premiere I have created files
test.m2v, test.m2v.mcses, and test.wav. How can I play these using a movie
player to see what the quality of this output is?
Are these perhaps files needed to burn a playable dvd? If so, what need I do
to create a playable dvd?

3 - in Premiere when exporting to Adobe Media Encoder (to produce mpeg
files) there is a whole range of settings I can choose once I've selected
"Mpeg2 dvd":
-PAL DV High Quality 4Mb VBR 2 Pass
-PAL DV High Quality 7Mb CBR 1 Pass
-PAL DV High Quality 7Mb VBR 2 Pass SurCode for Dolby Digital 5.1
-PAL DV Low Quality 4Mb CBR 1 Pass
-PAL Progressive High Quality 4Mb VBR 2 Pass
-PAL Progressive High Quality 7Mb CBR 1 Pass
Given my goal above, what would be a good pick? Intuitively I pick the first
one..

4 - I am also looking for a good online source that introduces newbies like
me to the art of DV editing. Anyone know of any decent ones?

Many thanks for your time!

BN

"Bob Newheart" <paddo16_kill_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> 1 - I am editing a DV tape and find that when I export to video or Mpeg2
in
> Adobe Premiere the result is not what I would expect in terms of
> resolution - when I play the resulting file back in Media player it's like
> somewhat worn VHS tape. When I choose export movie (Microsoft DV AVI) for
> 28 second test file is 105mb. I am looking to produce DVD quality.

Microsoft's "Media Player" is hopeless at playing DV avi files! It only
plays them at a fraction of their full resolution, and they look terrible as
a result. A good player for DV AVI is VLC Player
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ which will play DV files (and many other useful
formats like mpeg2) at their full resolution.

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 09:33:45 +0200, "Bob Newheart"
<paddo16_kill_spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>3 - in Premiere when exporting to Adobe Media Encoder (to produce mpeg
>files) there is a whole range of settings I can choose once I've selected
>"Mpeg2 dvd":
>-PAL DV High Quality 4Mb VBR 2 Pass
>-PAL DV High Quality 7Mb CBR 1 Pass
>-PAL DV High Quality 7Mb VBR 2 Pass SurCode for Dolby Digital 5.1
>-PAL DV Low Quality 4Mb CBR 1 Pass
>-PAL Progressive High Quality 4Mb VBR 2 Pass
>-PAL Progressive High Quality 7Mb CBR 1 Pass
>Given my goal above, what would be a good pick? Intuitively I pick the first
>one..

Inutitively I run away from anything that judges things (good, bad,
high quality, low quality) on my name. Let me decide the bitrate, and
don't judge it!

Anyway, at full DVD resolution (720x480), "4Mb" (that should be 4
Mbps) is anything but "High Quality", though it can be very good
quality at a lower resolution. At full DVD resolution, High Quality
equates something like the third option (PAL DV High Quality 7Mb VBR 2
Pass SurCode for Dolby Digital 5.1), both because of the bitrate
(7Mbps), which is among the best, and because of the 2 pass encoding
-which of course takes double the time, but squeezes the best out from
your encoding.