Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

When trying to connect to an XP box via RDP I get the following message:

"The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

Say what? I have set up many XP boxes and can RDP in fine to them. If I
make a typo on the password it stops and makes me re-enter it so I am making
the connection..... it just isn't letting me in.
Ran gpedit and went to Computer Configuration>Windows Settings>Security
Settings>Local Policies>Security Options
and looked at all the Interactive Logon settings but none of them really
seem to apply. I'm stuck. Any ideas?

Was this box an upgrade from Windows 2000?

Look at this policy setting:

(cut and paste from a David Jones' posting!)

Start->Run, "gpedit.msc"

"Randy" <peters@skagit.ctc.edu> wrote in message
> When trying to connect to an XP box via RDP I get the following message:
>
> "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon
> interactively"
>
> Say what? I have set up many XP boxes and can RDP in fine to them. If I
> make a typo on the password it stops and makes me re-enter it so I am
> making
> the connection..... it just isn't letting me in.
> Ran gpedit and went to Computer Configuration>Windows Settings>Security
> Settings>Local Policies>Security Options
> and looked at all the Interactive Logon settings but none of them really
> seem to apply. I'm stuck. Any ideas?

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Thank you VERY much. Been beating head agains a wall over this one.

No, it was a fresh install of XP.

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> Was this box an upgrade from Windows 2000?
>
> Look at this policy setting:
>
> (cut and paste from a David Jones' posting!)
>
> Start->Run, "gpedit.msc"
> > Expand Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security
> > Settings->Local Policies->User Rights Assignment.
> >
> > On the right side of the snap-in, find "Allow logon
> > through Terminal Services".
> >
> > Remove everything that's there, then Add User or Group,
> > and input the account you want to have access.
> >
> > No reboots required, the policy will affect all
> > subsequent Remote Desktop logons. Those accounts not
> > allowed via this policy to connect will get back an error
> > stating "The local policy of this system does not permit
> > you to log on interactively"
> >

> "Randy" <peters@skagit.ctc.edu> wrote in message
> > When trying to connect to an XP box via RDP I get the following message:
> >
> > "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon
> > interactively"
> >
> > Say what? I have set up many XP boxes and can RDP in fine to them. If
> > make a typo on the password it stops and makes me re-enter it so I am
> > making
> > the connection..... it just isn't letting me in.
> > Ran gpedit and went to Computer Configuration>Windows Settings>Security
> > Settings>Local Policies>Security Options
> > and looked at all the Interactive Logon settings but none of them really
> > seem to apply. I'm stuck. Any ideas?

Well - in that case I'd be surprised if this is the issue--but it should be
in this vicinity, and perhaps this is it if someone has been mucking around.

> Thank you VERY much. Been beating head agains a wall over this one.
>
> No, it was a fresh install of XP.
>

> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> Was this box an upgrade from Windows 2000?
>>
>> Look at this policy setting:
>>
>> (cut and paste from a David Jones' posting!)
>>
>> Start->Run, "gpedit.msc"
>> > Expand Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security
>> > Settings->Local Policies->User Rights Assignment.
>> >
>> > On the right side of the snap-in, find "Allow logon
>> > through Terminal Services".
>> >
>> > Remove everything that's there, then Add User or Group,
>> > and input the account you want to have access.
>> >
>> > No reboots required, the policy will affect all
>> > subsequent Remote Desktop logons. Those accounts not
>> > allowed via this policy to connect will get back an error
>> > stating "The local policy of this system does not permit
>> > you to log on interactively"
>> >

>> "Randy" <peters@skagit.ctc.edu> wrote in message
>> > When trying to connect to an XP box via RDP I get the following
>> > message:
>> >
>> > "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon
>> > interactively"
>> >
>> > Say what? I have set up many XP boxes and can RDP in fine to them. If
>> > make a typo on the password it stops and makes me re-enter it so I am
>> > making
>> > the connection..... it just isn't letting me in.
>> > Ran gpedit and went to Computer Configuration>Windows Settings>Security
>> > Settings>Local Policies>Security Options
>> > and looked at all the Interactive Logon settings but none of them
>> > really
>> > seem to apply. I'm stuck. Any ideas?

TRENDING THREADS