Games sale at Amazon.co.uk

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 23, 2005 5:08:45 AM

FYI. Not a massive selection but you can get Medal of Honour Pacific
Assault for £3.96. Not my favourite FPS but worth a dabble at that price.
Swat 4 (which is a decent game) can be had for £13.96. Postage to be added
of course.

More about : games sale amazon

August 23, 2005 3:12:55 PM

Shawk wrote:
>Swat 4 (which is a decent game) can be had for £13.96.
> Postage to be added of course.

I enjoyed Swat 4 greatly, have you played the multiplayer?

--
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
August 23, 2005 3:24:18 PM

"Jimbob" <richard.(REMOVE)burkinshaw@(REMOVE)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Shawk wrote:
> >Swat 4 (which is a decent game) can be had for £13.96.
>> Postage to be added of course.
>
> I enjoyed Swat 4 greatly, have you played the multiplayer?

I bought a number of games in a mad moment, (Painkiller Black Edition, BIA,
Vampires Masquerades, Swat 4) and I'm still playing through the SP parts of
each. How is the MP?
Related resources
August 23, 2005 3:43:29 PM

Shawk wrote:
>> I enjoyed Swat 4 greatly, have you played the multiplayer?
>>
> I bought a number of games in a mad moment, (Painkiller Black
> Edition, BIA, Vampires Masquerades, Swat 4) and I'm still playing
> through the SP parts of each. How is the MP?

It would be good with people you know, and with a decent machine to run a
server, i havn't found many, if ANY dedicated servers. But I suppose it's
the same with all MP games.

--
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Anonymous

>> >Swat 4 (which is a decent game) can be had for £13.96.
>>> Postage to be added of course.
>>
>> I enjoyed Swat 4 greatly, have you played the multiplayer?
>
> I bought a number of games in a mad moment, (Painkiller Black Edition, BIA,
> Vampires Masquerades, Swat 4) and I'm still playing through the SP parts of
> each. How is the MP?

Can't vouch for SWAT4, but SWAT3's multiplayer was probably my favourite MP game
ever (though I'm not a big MP gamer). I always prefer coop games, and it had a
really well implemented one. I tried the SWAT 4 demo but didn't like it quite
as much. Worth a try for that price though, thanks for the info :)

It won't be to everyone's taste, as it requires a cautious methodical approach.
Run & blast players will die quickly. If you liked the SP, though, you'll like
the MP, assuming you can find players who play it "properly".

--
Paul
Anonymous

Shawk wrote:
> FYI. Not a massive selection but you can get Medal of Honour Pacific
> Assault for £3.96. Not my favourite FPS but worth a dabble at that price.
> Swat 4 (which is a decent game) can be had for £13.96. Postage to be added
> of course.

What's the good word on SWAT 4?

Any cop? (arf!)

-
Wildy
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:46:50 PM

In article <3n1oksF19308eU1@individual.net>, Paul Catley
<paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote:

> (though I'm not a big MP gamer)

Indeed. In fact, your WoW character is quite the opposite..... ;)

___
Neil
aka HighVis
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 2:24:54 PM

Paul Catley wrote:
> It won't be to everyone's taste, as it requires a cautious methodical approach.
> Run & blast players will die quickly. If you liked the SP, though, you'll like
> the MP, assuming you can find players who play it "properly".

Yeah - we play this a lot at smaller LAN parties - 6 of us vs lots of
enemies on hard. Generally involves lots and lots of slow advancing
followed by a moment of panic and someone dying :)  Always great fun, and
quite atmospheric, but after an hour or two you need to let loose with a
game of something unsubtle like BF1942 or WolfET....

Civilian_Target
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:35:58 AM

"WildStyle24_7" <wildstyle247@gmail.com> wrote in message

> What's the good word on SWAT 4?
>
> Any cop? (arf!)

*Chortle*

I have tried the demo, and it's good but very slightly underwhelming. Not that
there is anything wrong with it, but the advancements over SWAT 3 are fairly
small. The graphics seem a little dated and the multiplayer map is rather
plain, which is disappointing considering how ground-breaking the SWAT 3
graphics were for their time. Again, nothing wrong with them, but not as good
as I had hoped. There is a rather good visual joke on the SP map, though, in
the form of an arcade machine... ;)  The most significant change to the graphics
is probably the addition of visible weapon models for your character. They look
good but seem a bit "laggy" in their movement.

The character animations are still rather jittery, but I think the friendly AI
has improved.

The new popup-menu driven ordering system looks ugly, but it works quite well
one you get used to it. You can have the old keyboard ordering commands as a
"classic" alternative, but they are even uglier and occupy an excessive amount
of screen area (They are in a large grey box that seems unnecessary: SWAT3
didn't have that). It's a pity you can't have both systems at the same time,
but it's nice to have the choice. You can also issue a "quick" order with the
Spacebar, which is the most likely context-sensitive order based on what you are
pointing at. Good idea. The picture-in-picture helmet-cam is still there, and
becomes bigger when you press CapsLock to issue orders through it. You can now
"aim" the helmet-cam in this mode too, even though it is on somebody else's
head. I preferred the old method of selecting which cam to use (each 2-man team
is now on a single key, instead of each team member on individual keys), but
it's still a good system. All in all, the not-too-messed-with improvements to
the ordering system are probably the best feature. A pity they didn't make it
prettier though.

The format of the missions hasn't changed, as far as I could tell from one demo
mission ("Bring order to chaos"). You still have to go through the chore of
picking up every weapon and reporting every restrained suspect/hostage. I
suppose it's part of the procedural aspect of the SWAT games, which adds
atmosphere, but it can be a pain when you can't figure out which suspect you
haven't reported, even though you have restrained all of them. I don't think
you will fail the mission now if you don't do that; you just won't earn maximum
points (I failed anyway because the main hostage died).

Can't vouch for multiplayer, as I've only run around the map solo. Pretty dull
map IIRC (the SP map is more interesting). I'd be interested to see how they've
tinkered with the MP ordering system, which was rather clever in SWAT 3.

Anyway, having played it again tonight, and with Shawk's heads-up about the
Amazon sale price, it would be rude not to buy it (I *was* planning on finishing
SWAT 3 first, one day, but what the heck ;) ). Anyone up for some coop? :)

--
Paul
Anonymous

"Neil Jones" <neil@designumbrella.com> wrote in message
> In article <3n1oksF19308eU1@individual.net>, Paul Catley
> <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> (though I'm not a big MP gamer)
>
> Indeed. In fact, your WoW character is quite the opposite..... ;)

What? the Gnome who base jumps off cliffs? straight into a dinosaurs gob??

Never.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 3:22:51 PM

"Sloth" <dave@removethis.sloth.plus.com> wrote in message

> What? the Gnome who base jumps off cliffs? straight into a dinosaurs gob??

You want extreme sports? I'll give you extreme sports!

--
Paul
August 30, 2005 3:44:16 PM

"Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Sloth" <dave@removethis.sloth.plus.com> wrote in message
>>
>> What? the Gnome who base jumps off cliffs? straight into a dinosaurs
>> gob??
>
> You want extreme sports? I'll give you extreme sports!

.... screenshots? I'm still laughing at the mental vision of this one...
thanks Sloth
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:33:16 PM

> ... screenshots? I'm still laughing at the mental vision of this one...
> thanks Sloth

Sadly not, you had to be there :)

--
Paul
Anonymous

>> I bought a number of games in a mad moment, (Painkiller Black Edition, BIA,
>> Vampires Masquerades, Swat 4) and I'm still playing through the SP parts of
>> each. How is the MP?
>
> Can't vouch for SWAT4, but SWAT3's multiplayer was probably my favourite MP
> game ever (though I'm not a big MP gamer). I always prefer coop games, and it
> had a really well implemented one. I tried the SWAT 4 demo but didn't like it
> quite as much. Worth a try for that price though, thanks for the info :)

.... and it arrived this morning :)

Forget my not-quite-enthusiastic review earlier, I like it a lot :)  Just as
much as I liked SWAT 3, in fact, which isn't surprising as it's the same game
with some tweaking and graphical improvements. If it ain't broke...

Thanks for letting us know, Shawk, it was great value at £14 :)  Sadly it
reverted back to £26.99 today at Amazon, but I saw it in Asda (UK) this evening
for £19.97 if anybody is still considering it.

So, who is up for a game of MP SWAT4 coop? Shawk? Jimbob? Civ? Wildy?
Anders? Best... coop... game... evar[1]!!! :D

BTW, if anyone is interested in Brothers in Arms (WW2 semi-tactical shooter), I
picked it up yesterday in Virgin for £15 (seems to be the permanent price rather
than a sale offer). Another nice game.

--
Paul

[1] IMHO
September 2, 2005 9:07:57 PM

>> I tried the SWAT 4 demo but didn't like it quite as much. Worth a try
>> for that price though, thanks for the info :)
>

> ... and it arrived this morning :)
>
> Forget my not-quite-enthusiastic review earlier, I like it a lot :)  Just
> as much as I liked SWAT 3, in fact, which isn't surprising as it's the
> same game with some tweaking and graphical improvements. If it ain't
> broke...
>
> Thanks for letting us know, Shawk, it was great value at £14 :)  Sadly it
> reverted back to £26.99 today at Amazon, but I saw it in Asda (UK) this
> evening for £19.97 if anybody is still considering it.
>
> So, who is up for a game of MP SWAT4 coop? Shawk? Jimbob? Civ? Wildy?
> Anders? Best... coop... game... evar[1]!!! :D
>
> BTW, if anyone is interested in Brothers in Arms (WW2 semi-tactical
> shooter), I picked it up yesterday in Virgin for £15 (seems to be the
> permanent price rather than a sale offer). Another nice game.

Glad you like it - I've never tried co-op and you might normally be able to
convice me however I've just come back from working in Scotland to a box
containing a Logitech Attack 3 joystick and another containing IL2 FB.
Gonna load it up and play...... I may be some time...
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 12:48:23 AM

> Glad you like it - I've never tried co-op and you might normally be able to
> convice me however I've just come back from working in Scotland to a box
> containing a Logitech Attack 3 joystick and another containing IL2 FB. Gonna
> load it up and play...... I may be some time...

Great, I hope you enjoy it, or I'm going to feel guilty!

Don't forget to patch. The game works fine out of the box, but there are lots
of extra flyable planes included in IL2-series patches. It makes the patches a
bit big though. Be careful when patching, as there are now various upgrade
routes, depending on whether you also have the Ace Expansion Pack or Pacific
Fighters (which you don't). Sadly without these addons you won't achieve a
fully up to date patch series, but there really aren't any issues you'll notice
with the basic retail version. The patch named "patch122_over10.exe" will do
you, here:
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/il2sturmovik2/downloads/

Oh, play any tracks or tutorials *before* you patch the game. Patches tend to
break tracks, due to changes in the game engine and flight models.

Good luck!

--
Paul
Anonymous

"Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for letting us know, Shawk, it was great value at £14 :)  Sadly it
> reverted back to £26.99 today at Amazon, but I saw it in Asda (UK) this
> evening for £19.97 if anybody is still considering it.

And I saw it for £14.99 in Game today, believe it or not (I rarely see any real
bargains in Game).

--
Paul
!