Fuji Finepix F410 problems

BlaZe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera (More info?)

Hi

I have a Finepix F410 and I was using a car generic charger set at 3.5 v

The camera charged for the first day and was full.. on the second day the
charger smaoked a bit and when I tried to start the camera it does not
work...

the settings on the charger were always at 3.5 V..

Any Idea to whats happened and how to fix the problem as its my sisiters
camera...
Thanks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera (More info?)

I also have one of these cameras and my charger says it should be 5v. I
dont know where you got your information from but it seems you have short
circuited your camera. The camera will probably have to be fixed by an
expert and you'll be lucky to see any change from £100.

"Blaze" <asfdaf@aff.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a Finepix F410 and I was using a car generic charger set at 3.5 v
>
> The camera charged for the first day and was full.. on the second day the
> charger smaoked a bit and when I tried to start the camera it does not
> work...
>
> the settings on the charger were always at 3.5 V..
>
> Any Idea to whats happened and how to fix the problem as its my sisiters
> camera...
> Thanks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera (More info?)

How many batteries is 3.5 VDC?

"Gymy Bob" <nothanx@bight.me> wrote in message
> How many batteries is 3.5 VDC?

That is the power adapter input voltage.
But two 1.5 volt batteries are 3 volts.
Rechargeable batteries are 1.25 volts each, so two equal 2.5 volts.
Three rechargeable equal 3.75 volts.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Well then if there is no battery voltage at 3.5V, why would the input not be
equal to the battery voltage?

Obviously the OP made an incorrect judgement and may have ruined their
camera. I find it hard to believe that any camera with a battery charger
input takes 3.5Vdc. This would only be capable of charger one cell unless
complex dc/dc inverter circuitry is used.

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

> "Gymy Bob" <nothanx@bight.me> wrote in message
> > How many batteries is 3.5 VDC?
>
> That is the power adapter input voltage.
> But two 1.5 volt batteries are 3 volts.
> Rechargeable batteries are 1.25 volts each, so two equal 2.5 volts.
> Three rechargeable equal 3.75 volts.
>

> > "Blaze" <asfdaf@aff.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I have a Finepix F410 and I was using a car generic charger set at 3.5
> >>
> >> The camera charged for the first day and was full.. on the second day
the
> >> charger smaoked a bit and when I tried to start the camera it does not
> >> work...
> >>
> >> the settings on the charger were always at 3.5 V..
> >>
> >> Any Idea to whats happened and how to fix the problem as its my
sisiters
> >> camera...
> >> Thanks
> >>

> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --

BlaZe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004

> Well then if there is no battery voltage at 3.5V, why would the input not
> be
> equal to the battery voltage?
>
> Obviously the OP made an incorrect judgement and may have ruined their
> camera. I find it hard to believe that any camera with a battery charger
> input takes 3.5Vdc. This would only be capable of charger one cell unless
> complex dc/dc inverter circuitry is used.

The Camera says it has a 5v DC input, the non Fuji generic car charger had
3.5 v or 6 v selector so I put it on the 3.5.v to be on the safe side...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F410/F41A.HTM

would the camera be cooked from a to low voltage ? as it charge for a bit
then the car charger started smoking so I pulled it out and the camera was
dead??!>???

If the input specified 5V dc and contains it's own battery charger control
circuit you probably just burnt out the dc/dc inverter circuit by pushing it
too hard with low voltage. If it is more than 12 months old it will probably
be scrap.

> "Gymy Bob" <nothanx@bight.me> wrote in message
> > Well then if there is no battery voltage at 3.5V, why would the input
not
> > be
> > equal to the battery voltage?
> >
> > Obviously the OP made an incorrect judgement and may have ruined their
> > camera. I find it hard to believe that any camera with a battery charger
> > input takes 3.5Vdc. This would only be capable of charger one cell
unless
> > complex dc/dc inverter circuitry is used.
> >

> The Camera says it has a 5v DC input, the non Fuji generic car charger had
> 3.5 v or 6 v selector so I put it on the 3.5.v to be on the safe side...
>
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F410/F41A.HTM
>
> would the camera be cooked from a to low voltage ? as it charge for a bit
> then the car charger started smoking so I pulled it out and the camera was
> dead??!>???

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera (More info?)

Is it possible to fry a circuit designed for 5v by applying 3.5v? I
wouldn't think so, but then I'm not an expert.

"Blaze" <asfdaf@aff.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a Finepix F410 and I was using a car generic charger set at 3.5 v
>
> The camera charged for the first day and was full.. on the second day the
> charger smaoked a bit and when I tried to start the camera it does not
> work...
>
> the settings on the charger were always at 3.5 V..
>
> Any Idea to whats happened and how to fix the problem as its my sisiters
> camera...
> Thanks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera (More info?)

It is possible because I have done it before to my DV Camcorder and it cost
me £160 to get it fixed.

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 05:25:04 GMT, "Tom H" <th54@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is it possible to fry a circuit designed for 5v by applying 3.5v? I
>wouldn't think so, but then I'm not an expert.

Of course, anything's possible. Murphys law applies in full.

The moral of the story is that you should NEVER use anything but the
manufacturer's desiginated products for powering the camera. Third
Party substitutes carry a huge risk of damaging the product and this
is what happened here.

You save a few bucks and it costs hundreds to repair the damage.

PJ

>"Blaze" <asfdaf@aff.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a Finepix F410 and I was using a car generic charger set at 3.5 v
>>
>> The camera charged for the first day and was full.. on the second day the
>> charger smaoked a bit and when I tried to start the camera it does not
>> work...
>>
>> the settings on the charger were always at 3.5 V..
>>
>> Any Idea to whats happened and how to fix the problem as its my sisiters
>> camera...
>> Thanks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera (More info?)

For consumer protection against normal battery dying things it shouldn't be
possible but....

If there is a dc/dc inverter involved it attempts to chop the dc into ac and
then transform it to another voltage level. This is all done with feedback
to regulate the voltage on the output. Now let's say you put low voltage in
but the power out has to be the same. Now the circuit tries "harder" (draws
more current with less voltage) to put out the same power. This eventually
burns out the inverter circuit with too much current draw.

The same situation applies to synchronous ac motors. They have to maintain
their horsepower so they draw more current when the voltage drops. result?
brownouts = burned out appliances.

"Tom H" <th54@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to fry a circuit designed for 5v by applying 3.5v? I
> wouldn't think so, but then I'm not an expert.
>
> "Blaze" <asfdaf@aff.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a Finepix F410 and I was using a car generic charger set at 3.5 v
> >
> > The camera charged for the first day and was full.. on the second day
the
> > charger smaoked a bit and when I tried to start the camera it does not
> > work...
> >
> > the settings on the charger were always at 3.5 V..
> >
> > Any Idea to whats happened and how to fix the problem as its my sisiters
> > camera...
> > Thanks

BlaZe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004

> If the input specified 5V dc and contains it's own battery charger control
> circuit you probably just burnt out the dc/dc inverter circuit by pushing
> it
> too hard with low voltage. If it is more than 12 months old it will
> probably
> be scrap.

Oops..the Camera's 18 months old.... Would it be expensive to repair ?

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:59:02 GMT, "Blaze" <asfdaf@aff.com> wrote:

>"Gymy Bob" <nothanx@bight.me> wrote in message
>> If the input specified 5V dc and contains it's own battery charger control
>> circuit you probably just burnt out the dc/dc inverter circuit by pushing
>> it
>> too hard with low voltage. If it is more than 12 months old it will
>> probably
>> be scrap.
>>
> Oops..the Camera's 18 months old.... Would it be expensive to repair ?

Probably around $100 with shipping.

Can't hurt to try. I would ask for an estimate and perhaps shop around for
the "no-cost" estimate. It is always good to talk directly to the tech and
explain what happenned as it can cut donw the time to zoom in on the
problem. If you can't, make sure they write the situation down on the
ticket. The sales people all go "yeah, yeah, he'll know" and then they come
back and say they can't find the problem etc...

Don't ya' just love (tech wannabe) sales people?...LOL

> "Gymy Bob" <nothanx@bight.me> wrote in message
> > If the input specified 5V dc and contains it's own battery charger
control
> > circuit you probably just burnt out the dc/dc inverter circuit by
pushing
> > it
> > too hard with low voltage. If it is more than 12 months old it will
> > probably
> > be scrap.
> >
> Oops..the Camera's 18 months old.... Would it be expensive to repair ?

BlaZe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004

Ahh well... My sisters gonna kill me.. So I might get it repaired for
about £50 ?!? of is that too hopeful...

I'll start doing searches tomorrow.. should get a cheap place in London

Thanks for the advice..

> Can't hurt to try. I would ask for an estimate and perhaps shop around for
> the "no-cost" estimate. It is always good to talk directly to the tech and
> explain what happenned as it can cut donw the time to zoom in on the
> problem. If you can't, make sure they write the situation down on the
> ticket. The sales people all go "yeah, yeah, he'll know" and then they
> come
> back and say they can't find the problem etc...
>
> Don't ya' just love (tech wannabe) sales people?...LOL
>
> "Blaze" <asfdaf@aff.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Gymy Bob" <nothanx@bight.me> wrote in message
>> > If the input specified 5V dc and contains it's own battery charger
> control
>> > circuit you probably just burnt out the dc/dc inverter circuit by
> pushing
>> > it
>> > too hard with low voltage. If it is more than 12 months old it will
>> > probably
>> > be scrap.
>> >
>> Oops..the Camera's 18 months old.... Would it be expensive to repair ?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera (More info?)

No it is NOT possible to damage a circuit by applying a lower voltage.
What could happen is that you switched the wires and apply -3.5V and
THAT could damage the circuits!

Reinder

On 9-1-2005 6:25, Tom H wrote:
> Is it possible to fry a circuit designed for 5v by applying 3.5v? I
> wouldn't think so, but then I'm not an expert.
>
> "Blaze" <asfdaf@aff.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I have a Finepix F410 and I was using a car generic charger set at 3.5 v
>>
>>The camera charged for the first day and was full.. on the second day the
>>charger smaoked a bit and when I tried to start the camera it does not
>>work...
>>
>>the settings on the charger were always at 3.5 V..
>>
>>Any Idea to whats happened and how to fix the problem as its my sisiters
>>camera...
>>Thanks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera (More info?)

Is it possible to set off an explosive charge on a bus by driving under 60
mph?

"Reinder Mulder" <noname@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> No it is NOT possible to damage a circuit by applying a lower voltage.
> What could happen is that you switched the wires and apply -3.5V and
> THAT could damage the circuits!
>
> Reinder
>

> On 9-1-2005 6:25, Tom H wrote:
> > Is it possible to fry a circuit designed for 5v by applying 3.5v? I
> > wouldn't think so, but then I'm not an expert.
> >
> > "Blaze" <asfdaf@aff.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi
> >>
> >>I have a Finepix F410 and I was using a car generic charger set at 3.5 v
> >>
> >>The camera charged for the first day and was full.. on the second day
the
> >>charger smaoked a bit and when I tried to start the camera it does not
> >>work...
> >>
> >>the settings on the charger were always at 3.5 V..
> >>
> >>Any Idea to whats happened and how to fix the problem as its my sisiters
> >>camera...
> >>Thanks

damo

Distinguished
May 29, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,fj.comp.dev.digital-camera (More info?)

My fuji 40i has broke and fuji want £95 pound to repair it.

Its only £130 to get a refurb f410