Am I connected to my neighbours WLAN?

May 20, 2004 3:27:08 PM

Hi all,

Been playing around a little with my iPAQ h4150. I have not got a wireless
LAN (yet) at home, but I just turned on the iPAQ WLAN to see what would
happen.
I wasn't even very surprised to see that it picked up 2 wireless networks. I
live in a densly populated area, so their could be a number of wireless LANs
in the vicinity. However, I WAS surprised that I SEEM to be able to connect
to one of them. At least, the double arrow without X in the top of my screen
suggest that I have a connection. I tried if I could reach internet pages or
ping maybe, but that didnt work. I wasn't able to 'see' an other networks in
any other way (with browsing files or something). So: Am I connected to
someones Wireless LAN or are the 2 arrows fooling me? (Of course, the PDA
wasn't in the cradle so the arrows were not the usual ActiveSync
connection).

If it were a WLAN of someone in my neighbourhood: how would I find out whose
it is?

Gr.
Option.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 3:39:50 PM

Hi,
take a look at http://www.wififofum.org/ or
http://www.netstumbler.com/download.php?op=viewdownload...
at their WIFI tools. Should tell you what you are connected to, and whether
they use WEP

Pete

--
Pete Vickers
Microsoft Windows Embedded MVP

"Option" <Geenm@il.adres> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Been playing around a little with my iPAQ h4150. I have not got a wireless
> LAN (yet) at home, but I just turned on the iPAQ WLAN to see what would
> happen.
> I wasn't even very surprised to see that it picked up 2 wireless networks.
> live in a densly populated area, so their could be a number of wireless
LANs
> in the vicinity. However, I WAS surprised that I SEEM to be able to
connect
> to one of them. At least, the double arrow without X in the top of my
screen
> suggest that I have a connection. I tried if I could reach internet pages
or
> ping maybe, but that didnt work. I wasn't able to 'see' an other networks
in
> any other way (with browsing files or something). So: Am I connected to
> someones Wireless LAN or are the 2 arrows fooling me? (Of course, the PDA
> wasn't in the cradle so the arrows were not the usual ActiveSync
> connection).
>
> If it were a WLAN of someone in my neighbourhood: how would I find out
whose
> it is?
>
> Gr.
> Option.

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 7:00:38 PM

"Pete Vickers [eMVP]" <pete at gui - innovations dot com> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
> take a look at http://www.wififofum.org/ or

http://www.netstumbler.com/download.php?op=viewdownload...
> at their WIFI tools. Should tell you what you are connected to, and
whether
> they use WEP
>
> Pete

Thanks!

I see 5 wireless networks in my neighbourhood now!
Two signals are quite strong so I guess those are from nearby.
One of those two (with the unimaginative name 'Wireless') does NOT have WEP
turned on. Does that mean that I can access that network without a problem?

Option.
May 20, 2004 7:00:39 PM

Hi,
yes - or you should go and tell your neighbour to turn WEP on ;)

Pete

--

> "Pete Vickers [eMVP]" <pete at gui - innovations dot com> schreef in
bericht
> > Hi,
> > take a look at http://www.wififofum.org/ or

http://www.netstumbler.com/download.php?op=viewdownload...
> > at their WIFI tools. Should tell you what you are connected to, and
> whether
> > they use WEP
> >
> > Pete
> >

> Thanks!
>
> I see 5 wireless networks in my neighbourhood now!
> Two signals are quite strong so I guess those are from nearby.
> One of those two (with the unimaginative name 'Wireless') does NOT have
WEP
> turned on. Does that mean that I can access that network without a
problem?

> Option.

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 7:37:08 PM

"Pete Vickers [eMVP]" <pete at gui - innovations dot com> schreef in bericht
news:o PipksmPEHA.3044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> yes - or you should go and tell your neighbour to turn WEP on ;)
>
> Pete

I certainly would tell them - if I knew whose wireless network it was. How
can I find out?
Does the place on the radar-screen suggest which direction the signal is
coming from? I guess not, because it does not change when I turn my PDA. So
how can I pinpoint the localtion of the AP?

By the way: I just walked around one block with my 'scanner' and found a
total of 12 wireless LANs. Five of them had WEP not turned on!

Of course I couldn't resist to try to connect to some of them, but it didn't
seem to be that simple. Do I need additional software to just connect to any
wireless LAN?

Option.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 7:53:02 PM

Keep in mind that, technically, if you hop onto somebody else's WLAN you
could be breaking the law. I doubt anybody will arrest you, but if your
neighbor finds out, it could strain the relationship.

--

Brad Adrian, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices

"Option" <Geenm@il.adres> wrote in message
> "Pete Vickers [eMVP]" <pete at gui - innovations dot com> schreef in
bericht
> > Hi,
> > take a look at http://www.wififofum.org/ or

http://www.netstumbler.com/download.php?op=viewdownload...
> > at their WIFI tools. Should tell you what you are connected to, and
> whether
> > they use WEP
> >
> > Pete
> >

> Thanks!
>
> I see 5 wireless networks in my neighbourhood now!
> Two signals are quite strong so I guess those are from nearby.
> One of those two (with the unimaginative name 'Wireless') does NOT have
WEP
> turned on. Does that mean that I can access that network without a
problem?

> Option.

Anonymous
May 21, 2004 3:00:10 AM

He might not have WEP on but might be filtering MAC addresses...

--
Carlo Ma. Guerrero
Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices
"Pete Vickers [eMVP]" <pete at gui - innovations dot com> wrote in message
news:o PipksmPEHA.3044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Hi,
yes - or you should go and tell your neighbour to turn WEP on ;)

Pete

--
Pete Vickers
Microsoft Windows Embedded MVP
HP Business Partner
http://www.gui-innovations.com

"Option" <Geenm@il.adres> wrote in message
> "Pete Vickers [eMVP]" <pete at gui - innovations dot com> schreef in
bericht
> > Hi,
> > take a look at http://www.wififofum.org/ or

http://www.netstumbler.com/download.php?op=viewdownload...
> > at their WIFI tools. Should tell you what you are connected to, and
> whether
> > they use WEP
> >
> > Pete
> >

> Thanks!
>
> I see 5 wireless networks in my neighbourhood now!
> Two signals are quite strong so I guess those are from nearby.
> One of those two (with the unimaginative name 'Wireless') does NOT have
WEP
> turned on. Does that mean that I can access that network without a
problem?

> Option.

Anonymous
May 21, 2004 4:08:54 AM

True... and it's also the owner's responsibility to see to it that he/she is
running a secure network...

--
"Brad Adrian, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <bradrian@mvps.org> wrote in message
Keep in mind that, technically, if you hop onto somebody else's WLAN you
could be breaking the law. I doubt anybody will arrest you, but if your
neighbor finds out, it could strain the relationship.

--

Brad Adrian, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices

"Option" <Geenm@il.adres> wrote in message
> "Pete Vickers [eMVP]" <pete at gui - innovations dot com> schreef in
bericht
> > Hi,
> > take a look at http://www.wififofum.org/ or

http://www.netstumbler.com/download.php?op=viewdownload...
> > at their WIFI tools. Should tell you what you are connected to, and
> whether
> > they use WEP
> >
> > Pete
> >

> Thanks!
>
> I see 5 wireless networks in my neighbourhood now!
> Two signals are quite strong so I guess those are from nearby.
> One of those two (with the unimaginative name 'Wireless') does NOT have
WEP
> turned on. Does that mean that I can access that network without a
problem?

> Option.

Anonymous
May 23, 2004 1:54:26 AM

Breaking the law? Breaking the law??? If anything, it should be against the
law that your neighbor's signal is entering your home without your
permission!! You can't get into any trouble if they have an unsecured
network and you connect. If you HACKED in, that would be a different story.
Like another poster said, it is their responsibility to secure their
network, an not your duty to inform them of this.

I'm sorry, but I would not loose any sleep, nor would I over there and tell
them to lock it down with WEP. It's simply not your responsibility.

"I doubt anyone would arrest you" Please . . . What is the neighbor going
to do? I can see the call now "Hello, 911, I have an unauthorized MAC
address on my unsecured wireless network"?

"Brad Adrian, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <bradrian@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Keep in mind that, technically, if you hop onto somebody else's WLAN you
> could be breaking the law. I doubt anybody will arrest you, but if your
> neighbor finds out, it could strain the relationship.
>
> --
>
> Brad Adrian, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
>

> "Option" <Geenm@il.adres> wrote in message
> > "Pete Vickers [eMVP]" <pete at gui - innovations dot com> schreef in
> bericht
> > > Hi,
> > > take a look at http://www.wififofum.org/ or

http://www.netstumbler.com/download.php?op=viewdownload...
> > > at their WIFI tools. Should tell you what you are connected to, and
> > whether
> > > they use WEP
> > >
> > > Pete
> > >

> > Thanks!
> >
> > I see 5 wireless networks in my neighbourhood now!
> > Two signals are quite strong so I guess those are from nearby.
> > One of those two (with the unimaginative name 'Wireless') does NOT have
> WEP
> > turned on. Does that mean that I can access that network without a
> problem?
> >
> > Option.

Anonymous
May 23, 2004 1:54:27 AM

It is illegal in Canada and many parts of Europe to use a private wireless
signal that is not yours. I disagree that the owner should "lock it down".
The average computer user in this country is by most standards computer
illiterate...they can barely do anything on the computer that is not
"dummied down" (AOL), so how can anyone realistically expect them to grasp
the nuances of good opsec when it comes to wireless signals?

Bobby

"Adelphia News" <wooch06@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Breaking the law? Breaking the law??? If anything, it should be against
> the
> law that your neighbor's signal is entering your home without your
> permission!! You can't get into any trouble if they have an unsecured
> network and you connect. If you HACKED in, that would be a different
> story.
> Like another poster said, it is their responsibility to secure their
> network, an not your duty to inform them of this.
>
> I'm sorry, but I would not loose any sleep, nor would I over there and
> tell
> them to lock it down with WEP. It's simply not your responsibility.
>
> "I doubt anyone would arrest you" Please . . . What is the neighbor going
> to do? I can see the call now "Hello, 911, I have an unauthorized MAC
> address on my unsecured wireless network"?
>

> "Brad Adrian, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <bradrian@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Keep in mind that, technically, if you hop onto somebody else's WLAN you
>> could be breaking the law. I doubt anybody will arrest you, but if your
>> neighbor finds out, it could strain the relationship.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brad Adrian, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
>>

>> "Option" <Geenm@il.adres> wrote in message
>> > "Pete Vickers [eMVP]" <pete at gui - innovations dot com> schreef in
>> bericht
>> > >

> http://www.netstumbler.com/download.php?op=viewdownload...
>> > whether

>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > I see 5 wireless networks in my neighbourhood now!
>> > Two signals are quite strong so I guess those are from nearby.
>> > One of those two (with the unimaginative name 'Wireless') does NOT have
>> WEP
>> > turned on. Does that mean that I can access that network without a
>> problem?
>> >
>> > Option.

Anonymous
May 23, 2004 6:15:30 PM

There's a car at the side of the road, unlocked with the keys in. You just
take it .....

Yeah, it's legal because it's unsecured and ......

"Adelphia News" <wooch06@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Breaking the law? Breaking the law??? If anything, it should be against
the
> law that your neighbor's signal is entering your home without your
> permission!! You can't get into any trouble if they have an unsecured
> network and you connect. If you HACKED in, that would be a different
story.
> Like another poster said, it is their responsibility to secure their
> network, an not your duty to inform them of this.
>
> I'm sorry, but I would not loose any sleep, nor would I over there and
tell
> them to lock it down with WEP. It's simply not your responsibility.
>
> "I doubt anyone would arrest you" Please . . . What is the neighbor going
> to do? I can see the call now "Hello, 911, I have an unauthorized MAC
> address on my unsecured wireless network"?
>

> "Brad Adrian, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <bradrian@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Keep in mind that, technically, if you hop onto somebody else's WLAN you
> > could be breaking the law. I doubt anybody will arrest you, but if your
> > neighbor finds out, it could strain the relationship.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Brad Adrian, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
> >

> > "Option" <Geenm@il.adres> wrote in message
> > > "Pete Vickers [eMVP]" <pete at gui - innovations dot com> schreef in
> > bericht

http://www.netstumbler.com/download.php?op=viewdownload...
> > > whether

> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > I see 5 wireless networks in my neighbourhood now!
> > > Two signals are quite strong so I guess those are from nearby.
> > > One of those two (with the unimaginative name 'Wireless') does NOT
have
> > WEP
> > > turned on. Does that mean that I can access that network without a
> > problem?
> > >
> > > Option.

Anonymous
May 23, 2004 8:59:10 PM

You're not 'taking it'. You are walking past, the windows are down,
and you can hear the radio playing inside. You are 'consuming' the
owners air-vibrations without permission. Hmm ;-)

Cheers - Neil

!