How to create VCDs?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 8, 2004 2:54:20 PM

I would like to burn a very short movie to a CD in such a way that it
can be played by standard DVD players.

I have a Sony DCR-HC20 and I pull the video onto my computer via
firewire using Windows Movie Maker. I then edit to movie and have it
ready to go - but I'm not sure what to do next. Movie Maker doesn't
seem to support creating Video CDs.

If I could record the edited film back to my DCR-HC20 then I could use
the built in function to record from the camera directly to a VCD (via
the computer) - but I can't figure out how to get Movie Maker to dump
the edited movie back out to the camera.

The software that came with the Sony can create a VCD but only via
it's auto-movie feature where it cuts up the clip however it wants -
not what I want.

Can I save the movie in Movie Maker and then use some other software
to burn a VCD? If so, what format should I save the movie in? What
software should I use to burn the VCD?

Thanks!

More about : create vcds

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 1:26:55 AM

Andy wrote:

> I would like to burn a very short movie to a CD in such a way
> that it can be played by standard DVD players. [...] Can I
> save the movie in Movie Maker and then use some other software
> to burn a VCD? If so, what format should I save the movie
> in? What software should I use to burn the VCD?

You might want to take a look at <http://www.videohelp.com/&gt; (do
not install any activex components this site offers) and
<http://www.eicsoftware.com/PapaJohn/MM2/MM2.html&gt;.

--
znark
August 9, 2004 2:09:05 AM

If you really must use MM2 then output your video in the highest possible
quality that mm2 will allow

Then get tmpg and convert it to mini dvd if its less than 20mins

or you can use svcd or vcd if its longer

to learn how to do a mini dvd look at vcdhelp as already suggested

"Andy" <andyrankin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I would like to burn a very short movie to a CD in such a way that it
> can be played by standard DVD players.
>
> I have a Sony DCR-HC20 and I pull the video onto my computer via
> firewire using Windows Movie Maker. I then edit to movie and have it
> ready to go - but I'm not sure what to do next. Movie Maker doesn't
> seem to support creating Video CDs.
>
> If I could record the edited film back to my DCR-HC20 then I could use
> the built in function to record from the camera directly to a VCD (via
> the computer) - but I can't figure out how to get Movie Maker to dump
> the edited movie back out to the camera.
>
> The software that came with the Sony can create a VCD but only via
> it's auto-movie feature where it cuts up the clip however it wants -
> not what I want.
>
> Can I save the movie in Movie Maker and then use some other software
> to burn a VCD? If so, what format should I save the movie in? What
> software should I use to burn the VCD?
>
> Thanks!
August 9, 2004 3:06:10 PM

On 8 Aug 2004 10:54:20 -0700, andyrankin@gmail.com (Andy) wrote:

>I have a Sony DCR-HC20 and I pull the video onto my computer via
>firewire using Windows Movie Maker. I then edit to movie and have it
>ready to go - but I'm not sure what to do next. Movie Maker doesn't
>seem to support creating Video CDs.

Can you save it in AVI format? If so, get hold of TMPGEnc:
http://www.tmpgenc.net
and convert it to VCD format. then use Nero to make the VCD.

Works for me.

Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 3:06:11 PM

You can save a DV-AVI from Movie Maker (check help if you can't figure it
out)

> Can you save it in AVI format? If so, get hold of TMPGEnc:
> http://www.tmpgenc.net
> and convert it to VCD format. then use Nero to make the VCD.
>
> Works for me.
>
> Chris Pollard

August 10, 2004 12:29:18 PM

Thanks for all of the advice! The TMPGEnc application seemed to be
the key to making this work. Also, the videohelp.com site looks like
a great resource.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Andy
!