Closed

Tool for lossless (or minimum) crop of MPEG movies ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2004 12:59:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.divx,rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,alt.multimedia.mpeg,comp.multimedia (More info?)

I have a MPEG movie for which I need a (simple) tool to crop/cut the top and bottom black strip only.
No recompression needed. Unfortunately TMPGenc doesn't have such a feature.

Does someone knwo such a tool?

Rod
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 12:59:03 AM

"Rod Newton" <rnewton12@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a MPEG movie for which I need a (simple) tool to crop/cut the top
and bottom black strip only.
> No recompression needed. Unfortunately TMPGenc doesn't have such a
feature.

> Does someone knwo such a tool?
>
> Rod

TMPGEnc does indeed have a crop tool. Load your movie into it and select
the "Setting" and then "Advanced" tabs. Double-click the "Clip frame"
option. Enter desired values. OK - OK - choose output filename - and
you're done.

Mike
August 10, 2004 12:59:03 AM

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:59:02 +0200, in alt.multimedia.mpeg,
rnewton12@yahoo.com (Rod Newton) wrote:

>I have a MPEG movie for which I need a (simple) tool to crop/cut the top and bottom black strip only.
>No recompression needed. Unfortunately TMPGenc doesn't have such a feature.
>
>Does someone knwo such a tool?

You might want to look at mplayer.

It can do stream copying of audio and video (both or seperately). I'm not
sure if you can crop and stream copy at the same time though.

It command line driven but very powerfull.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/news.html

It's mainly a Linux/Unix project but there is a Windows binary too if you
look down the Downloads section.

dave

--
xtalsinger@yahoo.com is a valid reply-to address but I don't check it every day.
August 10, 2004 4:04:22 AM

"Rod Newton" <rnewton12@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a MPEG movie for which I need a (simple) tool to crop/cut the top
and bottom black strip only.
> No recompression needed. Unfortunately TMPGenc doesn't have such a
feature.

> Does someone knwo such a tool?
>
> Rod

That's because it is fundamentally impossible to crop it without reencoding
it. Sorry, you will have to reencode.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 4:17:59 PM

> I have a MPEG movie for which I need a (simple) tool to crop/cut the top
and bottom black strip only.
> No recompression needed.
> Does someone knwo such a tool?

AFAIK there is no tool available to crop without recompression.

regards
Simon
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 5:10:55 AM

i dont know :/
if you find something post it. .)
"Rod Newton" <rnewton12@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a MPEG movie for which I need a (simple) tool to crop/cut the top
>and bottom black strip only.
> No recompression needed. Unfortunately TMPGenc doesn't have such a
> feature.
>
> Does someone knwo such a tool?
>
> Rod

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 6:38:12 PM

You cannot do this.

Rod Newton wrote:
> I have a MPEG movie for which I need a (simple) tool to crop/cut the top and bottom black strip only.
> No recompression needed. Unfortunately TMPGenc doesn't have such a feature.
>
> Does someone knwo such a tool?
>
> Rod

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 5:04:11 PM

Panasonic has/had an MPEG encoder that will crop. Excellent tool if you can
still find it.

Andy Durban
Trimark - Marketing Communications
"Committed to your Success!"
336 227-4443
www.TriMark1.com

"Rod Newton" <rnewton12@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a MPEG movie for which I need a (simple) tool to crop/cut the top
and bottom black strip only.
> No recompression needed. Unfortunately TMPGenc doesn't have such a
feature.

> Does someone knwo such a tool?
>
> Rod

Anonymous