Input to computer of Digital Video

I just bought a new Toshiba Laptop with a DVD burner and video editing
software. However, it does not have a IEEE 1394 video input port,
just 3 USB ports and a PC card slot. How can I get my digital videos
from my JVC camcorder to the computer so I can edit my video and make
a DVD of the result? The JVC only has the 1394 and component video
out ports and the standard component video out ports.

Do I have to buy a PC card adapter with a IEEE 1394 port to input
video to the computer from the camcorder or is there another option?

Thanks for any advice on this,
Rick

"stromer" <stromer2@aol.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a new Toshiba Laptop with a DVD burner and video editing
> software. However, it does not have a IEEE 1394 video input port,
> just 3 USB ports and a PC card slot. How can I get my digital videos
> from my JVC camcorder to the computer so I can edit my video and make
> a DVD of the result? The JVC only has the 1394 and component video
> out ports and the standard component video out ports.
>
> Do I have to buy a PC card adapter with a IEEE 1394 port to input
> video to the computer from the camcorder or is there another option?

I'm surprised that you bought a Toshiba Laptop with a DVD burner
without a 1394 port. Did you have to spend much time finding it?
Sorry, I'm just being sarcastic, but the surprise is real :)

My wife just bought a cheap Toshiba. It has no DVD burner but it does
have 1394 and was under $1300. Yes, you can get a PCMCIA card
with 1394, and I think you can get USB-2 (you do have those, I hope)
to 1394 adapter that sits outside the machine. My internal drive is either
not fast enough, or is too fragmented to capture to it without dropping
frames, so I connect the camera to the 1394 port and use an external
USB-2 drive as a capture drive. It works pretty well most of the time.

I suspect that you are a bit confused about some of your terminology.
On consumer gear component uses 3 RCA (Phono) connectors that are
color-coded with Red, Blue, and Green (although the signal RGB)
Professional equipment will have 3 BNC connectors for component
video, typically labeled Y; R-Y; B-Y. If you don't see this connector
arrangement, then you probably do not have access to component video.

S-Video will usually be named as such, and was often referred to as
component in the very early days of it's existence, but it is not the same
thing as component as described above. There is a "Y" signal that is
pretty much identical to the "Y" in component, but the color signal is
modulated in much the same way as used in composite, except that it
is not mixed. The connector is a round shell with 4 tiny pins (2 for the
"Y" part of the signal and 2 for color). This is also referred to as Y/C
video. Professional equipment mostly uses the same connector, today,
but there used to be more robust Y/C connectors on such equipment.

Composite video will be a single RCA (Phono) and it will be color coded
as yellow on consumer gear. Pro equipment will have composite video
simply labeled video in or out, and it will usually be a BNC connector.

David

I agree with David: it is a bit surprising to buy a laptop nowadays without
a firewire port when one wants to edit DV tapes. But then, you must have had
some good reasons for buying your laptop.

To answer your question, in my opinion the PC Card is the one-but-best
option. The best would be returning the laptop and getting an other model
with two or more firewire ports, assuming your budget would enable you to do
so.

Good luck.

BJ

"stromer" <stromer2@aol.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a new Toshiba Laptop with a DVD burner and video editing
> software. However, it does not have a IEEE 1394 video input port,
> just 3 USB ports and a PC card slot. How can I get my digital videos
> from my JVC camcorder to the computer so I can edit my video and make
> a DVD of the result? The JVC only has the 1394 and component video
> out ports and the standard component video out ports.
>
> Do I have to buy a PC card adapter with a IEEE 1394 port to input
> video to the computer from the camcorder or is there another option?
>
> Thanks for any advice on this,
> Rick

> I just bought a new Toshiba Laptop with a DVD burner and video editing
> software. However, it does not have a IEEE 1394 video input port,

Computer lesson #1 (same lesson as in life):
THERE ARE ALWAYS COMPROMISES

In buying a laptop, you have chosen to have portability over power and
versility. If that is what your business or life demands, fine.

I love my real computer. Sure it is large and sits on my desk but I
can add RAM and HDs until the cows come home. I've got a rockin video
card and a 3.2 Ghz processor. If any of that changes I can upgrade
individual pieces as new technology emerges.

On 9 Aug 2004 12:02:46 -0700, stromer2@aol.com (stromer) wrote:

>I just bought a new Toshiba Laptop with a DVD burner and video editing
>software. However, it does not have a IEEE 1394 video input port,
>just 3 USB ports and a PC card slot. How can I get my digital videos
>from my JVC camcorder to the computer so I can edit my video and make
>a DVD of the result? The JVC only has the 1394 and component video
>out ports and the standard component video out ports.
>
>Do I have to buy a PC card adapter with a IEEE 1394 port to input
>video to the computer from the camcorder or is there another option?

I suppose you could take the Toshiba back and swap it for one WITH a
Firewire port :) If you bought the video software at the same time,
making your intentions clear, the salesman could reasonably be accused
of mis-selling.

Otherwise, yes, it's a pcmia card. Firewire cards for desktops are
cheap commodity items. I'm sure a laptop card will be more -
hopefully not too much more.

Incidentally, what model Toshiba did you buy? It must be quite hard
to find one WITHOUT a Firewire port these days :) Are you sure there
isn't a 4-pin one, maybe confusing you by being labeled Firewire or
I.Link instead of IEEE 1394?

On 9 Aug 2004 12:02:46 -0700, stromer2@aol.com (stromer) wrote:

>I just bought a new Toshiba Laptop with a DVD burner and video editing
>software. However, it does not have a IEEE 1394 video input port,
>just 3 USB ports and a PC card slot. How can I get my digital videos
>from my JVC camcorder to the computer so I can edit my video and make
>a DVD of the result? The JVC only has the 1394 and component video
>out ports and the standard component video out ports.
>
>Do I have to buy a PC card adapter with a IEEE 1394 port to input
>video to the computer from the camcorder or is there another option?

Indeed the best solution is to buy a pc-card which extends your laptop
with a IEEE 1394 port. Maybe if you look around you'll find an adapter
from IEEE 1394 to USB for a reasonable and competing price to the
mentioned pc-card. However an IEEE 1394 pc-card would be my first
choice as it will give the most compatible solution to
video-editing/capturing software, which all work fine with IEEE 1394,
in my opinion.

If you are in possession of another pc which does have an IEEE 1394
port and dvd-burner, then you could transfer the dv data via dvd from
the other pc to the laptop. Or over a network-connection to the laptop
then bypassing dvd as transfer-intermediate.

TRENDING THREADS