Can I rotate an .AVI 90 degrees?

I took an .avi movie with my Fuji digital camera, but because it was
of Old Faithful geyser, ot seemed a gtood idea at the time to do it in
portrait orientation. Now everyone has to turn their heads sideways
to watch it. Is there a software solution to right the picture?
Thanks!

"Bodo Diehn" <bododiehn@REMOVE-THIScybertrails.com> wrote in message
> I took an .avi movie with my Fuji digital camera, but because it was
> of Old Faithful geyser, ot seemed a gtood idea at the time to do it in
> portrait orientation. Now everyone has to turn their heads sideways
> to watch it. Is there a software solution to right the picture?
> Thanks!

VirtualDub with the rotation filter.

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 23:39:56 GMT, bododiehn@REMOVE-THIScybertrails.com
(Bodo Diehn) wrote:

>I took an .avi movie with my Fuji digital camera, but because it was
>of Old Faithful geyser, ot seemed a gtood idea at the time to do it in
>portrait orientation. Now everyone has to turn their heads sideways
>to watch it. Is there a software solution to right the picture?

Yes, and easily. Give the AVI to VirtualDub, put Video in "Full
processing mode", add the rotate filter, and save again as an AVI
-just remember to choose your preferred codec first.

Hal

"Bodo Diehn" <bododiehn@REMOVE-THIScybertrails.com> wrote in message
> I took an .avi movie with my Fuji digital camera, but because it was
> of Old Faithful geyser, ot seemed a gtood idea at the time to do it in
> portrait orientation. Now everyone has to turn their heads sideways
> to watch it. Is there a software solution to right the picture?
> Thanks!

In addition to VirtualDub, ACDSee also can rotate video files. Obviously
VirtualDub is a good choice, since it's free. However, if you already own
ACDSee, do the following:

Navigate to the folder containing the video(s).
Double-click a video file (which should place it in edit mode)
Down at the lower right side of the screen you should see the rotation
tools.

When you get there, take a look at some of the other choices available.

Good luck!

Hal Lowe
http://hals.vstoremarket.com (HaloweGraphics SuperStore)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/music.html (free original MP3 background
audios)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures)
http://1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (Best website host/great prices)

Hal wrote:

> "Bodo Diehn" <bododiehn@REMOVE-THIScybertrails.com> wrote in message
>
>>I took an .avi movie with my Fuji digital camera, but because it was
>>of Old Faithful geyser, ot seemed a gtood idea at the time to do it in
>>portrait orientation. Now everyone has to turn their heads sideways
>>to watch it. Is there a software solution to right the picture?
>>Thanks!
>
> In addition to VirtualDub, ACDSee also can rotate video files. Obviously
> VirtualDub is a good choice, since it's free. However, if you already own
> ACDSee, do the following:

Out of interest does anyone know if it's possible to perform a lossless
rotate of MPEG movies in the similar way that JPEG pictures can be rotated?

--
Paul

Paul Hill asks:

>>does anyone know if it's possible to perform a lossless
rotate of MPEG movies in the similar way that JPEG pictures can be rotated?>>

I don't see how it could be lossless, if you are also rescaling it to fit in
the frame. But, if it is rotated and then clipped to fit in the frame, there
might be a nearly lossless way to do it.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:22:13 +0200, Bariloche
<bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 23:39:56 GMT, bododiehn@REMOVE-THIScybertrails.com
>(Bodo Diehn) wrote:
>
>>I took an .avi movie with my Fuji digital camera, but because it was
>>of Old Faithful geyser, ot seemed a gtood idea at the time to do it in
>>portrait orientation. Now everyone has to turn their heads sideways
>>to watch it. Is there a software solution to right the picture?
>
>Yes, and easily. Give the AVI to VirtualDub, put Video in "Full
>processing mode", add the rotate filter, and save again as an AVI
>-just remember to choose your preferred codec first.

How do I choose my "preferred codec"? It worked perfectly, BUT the
file ballooned from 2.5 MB to 40MB. Why this increase in size? What
did I do wrong? I can't e-mail it out like that!

Bodo Diehn wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:22:13 +0200, Bariloche
> <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 23:39:56 GMT, bododiehn@REMOVE-THIScybertrails.com
>>(Bodo Diehn) wrote:
>>

>>>I took an .avi movie with my Fuji digital camera, but because it was
>>>of Old Faithful geyser, ot seemed a gtood idea at the time to do it in
>>>portrait orientation. Now everyone has to turn their heads sideways
>>>to watch it. Is there a software solution to right the picture?
>>
>>Yes, and easily. Give the AVI to VirtualDub, put Video in "Full
>>processing mode", add the rotate filter, and save again as an AVI
>>-just remember to choose your preferred codec first.
>

> How do I choose my "preferred codec"? It worked perfectly, BUT the
> file ballooned from 2.5 MB to 40MB. Why this increase in size? What
> did I do wrong? I can't e-mail it out like that!

From the Video menu select Compression. From here choose your codec.
Same for audio.

XVID is a good video codec. See http://www.xvid.org/

--