SW:TOR Hit With Code Errors, Long Server Queues

Status
Not open for further replies.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I will wait a few months until all this is resolved, and then maybe give it a go. As for all the Origin problems same thing happened with the Back to Karkand DLC that came out for BF3. Thankfully I have had 0 issues with it.

G

I haven't had any of those issues, but I find the game incredibly tedious and the combat slow and terrible. So much so that after rolling a Sith Warrior, and a Republic Trooper both to level 14 I am quitting. The combat system seems to get delayed and you end up hitting attack buttons but getting 0 visual feedback for it, and it feels so slow; and after awhile its not fun anymore.

Then it takes forever to do anything as you spend countless minutes just walking back and forth. The ripped straight from Mass Effect in game cut scene bad/good quest elements are fun at first, but after the first 10 or so levels I stop caring about it, because I realize I'm listening to 3min of dialog to just go kill 10x or loot 5y from mob Z. The cool story parts make up like an hour of the 12-14 hours I put in on both of those characters.

Then you have the idiotic things the game won't let you do like disable the Auto Camera rotate. Because god forbid when you are on auto-run for 10 min in a straight line you want to be able to look around you without holding down the right mouse button. Or turn on Anti Aliasing; the graphics look rather poor without being able to turn AA on, might as well be an Xbox game. Or have an effective UI that shows your health and your opponents health, and the nameplates that pop up when you get near an opponent, not just when you attack them, and so on and so forth.

I wish I could get a refund.

torka

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]I'm sure EA will do the most they can to take care of their customers...[/citation]

I'm sure the Bioware will do the most they can to take care of their customers....

fixed* because in my experience EA doesn't care about you after they have your money

With that being said there are very few problems with this game. Compare it to any other MMOG release.
Swtor has fewer bugs (35 hours and I haven't found one) and is more stable than WoW in its 6th year (performance is rock solid, no hang-ups or lag at all)

As a side note, Swtor does not require Origin to either install or run. Bioware/Swtor.com provide the install files so the only connection it actually has to Origin is that you can buy it from the Origin store and if you choose to (dont know why anyone would) you can access it via the Origin launcher.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I bought the game online from Orgin. I had no problems with getting codes. I got into the servers pretty good. I did have a wait time the first day about 10 minutes. Today I had no wait time. Love the game. The voice overs are one of the best jobs that I have encountered in a very long time. There is almost always going to be a few problems with launch titles. All and all, really good game.

[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]I haven't had any of those issues, but I find the game incredibly tedious and the combat slow and terrible. So much so that after rolling a Sith Warrior, and a Republic Trooper both to level 14 I am quitting. The combat system seems to get delayed and you end up hitting attack buttons but getting 0 visual feedback for it, and it feels so slow; and after awhile its not fun anymore. Then it takes forever to do anything as you spend countless minutes just walking back and forth. The ripped straight from Mass Effect in game cut scene bad/good quest elements are fun at first, but after the first 10 or so levels I stop caring about it, because I realize I'm listening to 3min of dialog to just go kill 10x or loot 5y from mob Z. The cool story parts make up like an hour of the 12-14 hours I put in on both of those characters.Then you have the idiotic things the game won't let you do like disable the Auto Camera rotate. Because god forbid when you are on auto-run for 10 min in a straight line you want to be able to look around you without holding down the right mouse button. Or turn on Anti Aliasing; the graphics look rather poor without being able to turn AA on, might as well be an Xbox game. Or have an effective UI that shows your health and your opponents health, and the nameplates that pop up when you get near an opponent, not just when you attack them, and so on and so forth.I wish I could get a refund.[/citation]

I can clearly tell you don't know what you are talking about, and never opened 'Preferences' to customize nameplates, or learned how to auto-run and control the camera with the left mouse button. You played to 14...rofl... You really didn't do anything then.

[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]My opinion: Game is horrible. Unless you're a die-hard SW fan, do NOT waste your money.[/citation]

Compared to what? It's a lot of fun.

As far as server ques, I dont know why the derps all try to load up on a few servers. There's a ton of them with light loads when others have 2 hr ques. It makes no sense. If people are waiting to get in, its definitely their choice to wait.

All the major issues, like the Taris issue have already been patched. It's Bioware's baby and there's no way they wont tend to matters very quickly.

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Just don't complain on the official forums, or you can easily get your account banned by some minimum-wage EA moderator. This means any games you have on Origin no longer work, not even in single player, nothing. But hey, this is supposed to be just like steam, right? /sarcasm

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]I'm sure EA will do the most they can to take care of their customers...[/citation]

Thank you for that. I haven't laughed that hard in a long while.

fulcio

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
This is my 9th mmo, queue times are average for a launch so not even worth this reporter pointing out (yawn), the game play is not as visually good as some but bioware never has been good at this. The storylines however are something different and makes the game a nice alternative to other games instead of being WoW in space.

I have not crashed to desktop once, there is no lag in pvp, instances or space combar scenarios that i have seen, and as of yesterday the longest i have had to wait is 20 minutes to get on, so game wise a very good launch.

However the reported issues with account codes not being accepted or incorrectly reporting code already has been used needs to be sorted out quickly, since this has affected several people in our guild.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
is it really that hard to take preorders for the game, ship on a first come first serve basis, but spread it out over a 100000 people a week? and treat it like a massive beta, than when you figure your server crap out, roll out in 250000 chunks.

mmo is one of the few things that cant be launched normally.

joaompp

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I bought my CE on Aug 9th from Amazon, got early access on first wave of second day, got my CE on Dec 16th, inputted the code same night as well as activating my security key. I've only had one issue, entered into warzone while jumping off the VIP ledge in the imperial fleet, once I got done with the warzone I was stuck in the table, using /unstuck put me somewhere crazy (could see all the ships from the ground up, floor looked like chess board).

As for those griping regarding visuals, this game was never intended to be, nor promoted to be a graphically superior game in any way. Its focus is on a player driven storyline, which Bioware has done excellently in my opinion. I even like the warzones, which is something I found tedious in WoW.

Bioware takes tremendous amount of pride and puts forth a lot of effort in their work, so expect a fix relatively soon. Also, EA is probably smart enough to realize the earning potential of an MMO. Paying $60 for a game is great, but it's even better when the players are continuously paying $15 a month AND buying expansions AND buying paraphernalia. EA is not going to let this cash cow die before it even has time to mature.

For those of you crying about wanting a refund, you should have dropped five dollars to pre-order the game so you could test it during beta weekend. That's when I ultimately made my decision on whether or not to keep my order.

G

and this right here is exactly why i hate ea, and bioware are noobs at this. sounds as bad as 20 years ago with the launch of everquest. how pathetic.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mayu[/nom]The game should be free to play.[/citation]
Why? It is rumored that they spent something like $135 MILLION to make this game. Do you think any of the F2P games out there have anywhere near this type of investment? I've played some of the F2P games that have come out, and most are a joke compared to this. I'm not talking about the subscription games that became F2P later on (though SWTOR puts those to shame too); I'm talking about the games that were created and went straight to F2P. Many are little better than Facebook games. And what would you expect? A micro-transaction model might be a solid performer, but you can't expect to see something truly epic built on that paradigm. Much the way that you won't see a Star Wars or Lord of the Rings caliber film ever released at Sundance or Cannes.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]intel4eva[/nom]Just don't complain on the official forums, or you can easily get your account banned by some minimum-wage EA moderator. This means any games you have on Origin no longer work, not even in single player, nothing. But hey, this is supposed to be just like steam, right? /sarcasm[/citation]
actually, most of the mods are unpaid volunteers, who just like the feeling of power they get playing god on a forum

G

I feel bad for anyone with problems, but I can say that I got my early access on the 13th, had no issues registering, never a queue more than 10 minutes long, which is during primetime. To me the game is just outstanding, with full voice acting and a universe I enjoy being in. I have played the bulk of the popular MMOs, some might have slightly better graphics or what not, but this is the total package, at least for me. Complete voice acting basically makes it like an MMO of Mass Effect, set in the Star Wars universe. And I don't even watch my level, I just play the story and am enjoying myself a ton.

lafery

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
You guys are aware those long queues actually happen on 3 servers right? I've never had a queue on the heavy load server I play on and most who do have queues don't wait over 15 minutes. Tom makes it sound like everyone waits when its the other way around.

Almost no one has to wait more than 15 minutes, tons of people don't have to wait at all and only the population of 3 servers - which is what 10,000 players maybe 15,000 if you want to be generous - out of the 1,500,000 who reportedly bought the game doesn't sound so bad to me.

As you may know, 1% is not even considered mathematically significant. Yet Tom makes it sound like everyone playing SWTOR suffers terrible queues. Gee.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Anyone bashing this game, especially at LEVEL 14, needs to rethink their logic. I understand that people have opinions, but the game does not suffer from flaws in gameplay. It's fun, intense, and the questing/dialogue actually has a purpose. Not only does it involve you emotionally, but it also helps you build a very, very strong RP role for your character. It implants lines that you can say that would be common in the Star Wars universe for you to reuse in RP conversation with other players, which in turn they will probably read in their head in the voice of your class (if they've played it). I also don't think you need to be a Star Wars fan to enjoy this game. Much like with WoW, I am not a Warcraft RTS fan, but I did enjoy the game for a while -- before it became a recycled breeze.

The voiceover really makes a huge difference, and I actually care about quests, and have not found them tedious yet. Also, I'm not surprised that this game is having launch issues; EA had to involve Origin, which is quite possibly one of the worst online store programs I've run into, not to mention EAs support and care for customers is virtually nonexistant. You're better of pleading directly to the developers on twitter; they'll actually care. The issue will be sorted out nonetheless, I just hope for the player's sake it's soon (because this game is going to be huge!)

hotthree

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
go figure...more EA/Origin problems...looks like they failed again...not only did it take them months to fix BF3, now SWTOR. You would think they would learn by now.

EA step it up, jeez

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
You'd think MMO developers would just DROP THE IDEA OF LOCKING PEOPLE INTO A SINGLE SERVER and go with the Guild Wars style of MMO server structure, where your character logs into any AVAILABLE server in a region and simply connects to their friends and guilds via chat channels and group-based game launching.

But no - everyone wants to hog up a single server and stare at 2 hour queues.

This is why Guild Wars 2 will likely have a smooth launch, so far as server congestion is concerned. ArenaNet knows how to avoid these types of MMO messes.

Status
Not open for further replies.