double layer discs??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2004 8:54:04 AM

If you buy a double layer burner do you need special discs? how much are they?
BG

More about : double layer discs

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 8:54:05 AM

"BillKirch" <baldguy96@aol.comnoads> wrote in message
> If you buy a double layer burner do you need special discs? how much are
they?
> BG

With every burner you need to buy "special" disks. Each
has certain types that it can burn to. The double layer drives
have in addition to the disks that they normally use can use a
double layer type of disk. They can still use a particular set of
recordable disks +,-,R,Ram,RW - CD and DVD.

Which ones it can use varies with manufacturer and model.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 2:45:12 PM

On 10 Aug 2004 04:54:04 GMT, baldguy96@aol.comnoads (BillKirch) wrote:

>If you buy a double layer burner do you need special discs? how much are they?

Yes. Lots. But I'm sure they'll come down soon.

I suggest it isn't QUITE time to jump into double-layer burning yet.
Give it a few months to settle down.
August 10, 2004 7:42:00 PM

> If you buy a double layer burner do you need special discs? how much are they?

Only if you decide to burn dual-layer (9GB discs) rather than the
standard 4.5GB single-layer discs -- both will work fine.

$5-10 each dual layer disc.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 7:44:32 PM

> In my experience, reliable DVD media are those that use the Ritek G04
> dye. These are available at various price points. I fail to see why
> any other budget brand bothers to exist. But YMMV :-)

Other brands are even cheaper. eg. princo etc may be down to $0.25
or less per disc on sale, and depending on the burner, they may work
just fine.

Best way to tell? check the PI/PO error charts first for your burner
for each media before buying. www.cdrinfo.com has many such.

eg. a X brand disc may burn great in one burner (low PI/PO error
rate), so that would be a great buy; but in another burner, fail to
burn, so that would be a bad buy.

Cheaper brands do burn very well in some burners, so if you've got
one and know that they work, might as well....
August 12, 2004 8:29:15 AM

In article <cfbj4b$36c$3@news.service.uci.edu>,
David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote:
> > In my experience, reliable DVD media are those that use the Ritek G04
> > dye. These are available at various price points. I fail to see why
> > any other budget brand bothers to exist. But YMMV :-)
>
> Other brands are even cheaper. eg. princo etc may be down to $0.25
> or less per disc on sale, and depending on the burner, they may work
> just fine.
>
> Best way to tell? check the PI/PO error charts first for your burner
> for each media before buying. www.cdrinfo.com has many such.

Where is that information? The closest I found was

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/FAQ/SingleQuestion.aspx...

but it has no answer. Of course, if they wrote non-standard HTML and Opera
just makes the question LOOK unanswered, I get to look foolish now.

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:29:08 +0100, Laurence Payne
<l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>In my experience, reliable DVD media are those that use the Ritek G04
>dye.

Is there any list of the brands that use that dye?
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 6:46:52 PM

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:18:20 +0200, Bariloche
<bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:

>>In my experience, reliable DVD media are those that use the Ritek G04
>>dye.
>
>Is there any list of the brands that use that dye?

Not that I know of. But when you go to the web sites that sell
budget-priced bulk media they often mention the specs. of what they're
selling.
!