Remote Desktop Crashes Computer on connect

I have been using Remote Desktop connection from my home
computer (XP Home) to my office computer (XP Pro).
Recently I installed a wireless router (D-Link), but the
computer in question is hard-wired to this router. Now
when I attempt to make the same remote connection
(click "Connect"), the screen goes black and the computer
immediately re-boots. Oddly, my laptop system that
connects wirelessly to the same router (and runs XP Pro)
can still do the remote connection without any problems.
Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Any suggestions
as to what to check?

How was you internet connection set up before the wireless router was
introduced?

"Alan B" <alanb@vernova.com> wrote in message
>I have been using Remote Desktop connection from my home
> computer (XP Home) to my office computer (XP Pro).
> Recently I installed a wireless router (D-Link), but the
> computer in question is hard-wired to this router. Now
> when I attempt to make the same remote connection
> (click "Connect"), the screen goes black and the computer
> immediately re-boots. Oddly, my laptop system that
> connects wirelessly to the same router (and runs XP Pro)
> can still do the remote connection without any problems.
> Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Any suggestions
> as to what to check?

COX Cable (Cable modem connected to USB port) - auto
detection of IP address. New router connected on 100
BaseT, auto detection of IP address.

The problem seems to be related to the VPN client I have
installed on my system. When I disable the client, the
remote connection will time out, but not crash. As soon
as I enable the client, the system immediately crashes
when I click "Connect". I am using WatchGuard's MUVPN
Version 6.1.1 client. I use the same client on my XP Pro
laptop that connects fine through the wireless router.
Also, this client was working fine on my XP home system
before installing the router.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I am having similar trouble that started this week at my
office. I connect remotely from my main XP machine to two
others in my office. UNtil this week I have never had any
issues. Suddenly, on all THREE machines, no matter which
is trying to connect to which, if I connect and try to
log into my office domain, I can see the connection made,
the script begin to run, then it hangs and disconnects. I
have had a monitor on one and observed as I connected to
it and it bluescreens with a memory dump. The error
logged in event viewer has not been listed on Microsoft
yet. If I log into each machine ( into domain ) AT that
machine, it connects fine. I can THEN remote into it
without issue. I logged into one as the administrator so
the script did not run and all was well. Any ideas why
the script would suddenly cause all three to have issues?
A coworker also tried to connect to mine and had the same
issue.
thanks!
Chris