Remote Desktop Crashes Computer on connect

I have been using Remote Desktop connection from my home
computer (XP Home) to my office computer (XP Pro).
Recently I installed a wireless router (D-Link), but the
computer in question is hard-wired to this router. Now
when I attempt to make the same remote connection
(click "Connect"), the screen goes black and the computer
immediately re-boots. Oddly, my laptop system that
connects wirelessly to the same router (and runs XP Pro)
can still do the remote connection without any problems.
Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Any suggestions
as to what to check?
3 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop crashes computer connect

    How was you internet connection set up before the wireless router was
    introduced?

    "Alan B" <alanb@vernova.com> wrote in message
    >I have been using Remote Desktop connection from my home
    > computer (XP Home) to my office computer (XP Pro).
    > Recently I installed a wireless router (D-Link), but the
    > computer in question is hard-wired to this router. Now
    > when I attempt to make the same remote connection
    > (click "Connect"), the screen goes black and the computer
    > immediately re-boots. Oddly, my laptop system that
    > connects wirelessly to the same router (and runs XP Pro)
    > can still do the remote connection without any problems.
    > Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Any suggestions
    > as to what to check?

    COX Cable (Cable modem connected to USB port) - auto
    detection of IP address. New router connected on 100
    BaseT, auto detection of IP address.

    The problem seems to be related to the VPN client I have
    installed on my system. When I disable the client, the
    remote connection will time out, but not crash. As soon
    as I enable the client, the system immediately crashes
    when I click "Connect". I am using WatchGuard's MUVPN
    Version 6.1.1 client. I use the same client on my XP Pro
    laptop that connects fine through the wireless router.
    Also, this client was working fine on my XP home system
    before installing the router.

    I am having similar trouble that started this week at my
    office. I connect remotely from my main XP machine to two
    others in my office. UNtil this week I have never had any
    issues. Suddenly, on all THREE machines, no matter which
    is trying to connect to which, if I connect and try to
    log into my office domain, I can see the connection made,
    the script begin to run, then it hangs and disconnects. I
    have had a monitor on one and observed as I connected to
    it and it bluescreens with a memory dump. The error
    logged in event viewer has not been listed on Microsoft
    yet. If I log into each machine ( into domain ) AT that
    machine, it connects fine. I can THEN remote into it
    without issue. I logged into one as the administrator so
    the script did not run and all was well. Any ideas why
    the script would suddenly cause all three to have issues?
    A coworker also tried to connect to mine and had the same
    issue.
    thanks!
    Chris

Remote Desktop Connection Computers Windows XP