Why are MPEG-2 video on 480x576 format show distorted (e.g..

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,alt.multimedia.mpeg (More info?)

I have a couple of video clips with the extension .mpg. I can play the successfully in e.g.
BSPlayer or in WMP or in VirtualDub.
However they are always shown distorted. Their dimension is (officially)
height=480 x width=576 but when I play them their height is higher then their width.
Thus they are streched to the height.
Normally they should be displayed in other proportions (width > height).
Why are they distorted? I have a couple of codecs already installed (under Win2000+SP4).

Hmm, what else can I do?

Steve

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:44:04 +0200, spugh@yahoo.co.uk (Steve Pugh)
wrote:

>I have a couple of video clips with the extension .mpg. I can play the successfully in e.g.
>BSPlayer or in WMP or in VirtualDub.
>However they are always shown distorted. Their dimension is (officially)
>height=480 x width=576 but when I play them their height is higher then their width.
>Thus they are streched to the height.
>Normally they should be displayed in other proportions (width > height).
>Why are they distorted? I have a couple of codecs already installed (under Win2000+SP4).

There is a special trick needed to play those svcd (super video cd)
encoded files the right way. Try it with software dvd-players, they
have that trick built-in as for sure. (PowerDvd from Cyberlink, WinDvd
from InterVideo etc.)

wrote:

>I have a couple of video clips with the extension .mpg. I can play the successfully in e.g.
>BSPlayer or in WMP or in VirtualDub.
>However they are always shown distorted. Their dimension is (officially)
>height=480 x width=576 but when I play them their height is higher then their width.

My guess is they really are 480 (width) x 576 (height), which is the
PAL SVCD resolution. Thus, with more height than width.

Now, a properly encoded mpeg should play with the aspect ratio of the
original clip, as indicated in the header of the file. So the solution
may be to edit the header with a program like ReStream
(http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=231#comments), PullDown
(http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=164#comments), or some such.

Probably because the normal standard size of video is 720*576, so 480*576
is resized to 720*576, but distorted.

"Steve Pugh" <spugh@yahoo.co.uk> ha scritto nel messaggio
>I have a couple of video clips with the extension .mpg. I can play the
>successfully in e.g.
> BSPlayer or in WMP or in VirtualDub.
> However they are always shown distorted. Their dimension is (officially)
> height=480 x width=576 but when I play them their height is higher then
> their width.
> Thus they are streched to the height.
> Normally they should be displayed in other proportions (width > height).
> Why are they distorted? I have a couple of codecs already installed (under
> Win2000+SP4).
>
> Hmm, what else can I do?
>
> Steve

Jim

When you look at certain standard sizes, like 1/2 DVD (352 x 480) in
Virtual Dub, frame will look elongated top to bottom, which it is.
However, when you burn it to DVD and play it back on TV, it looks
perfectly normal. I had trouble with this concept at first, but it's
perfectly logical when you think about it.

IMHO 1/2 DVD is best method of VHS to DVD or TV to DVD transfer, as
you don't waste bandwidth on non-existent video information. Of
course, it won't look as good as a commercial DVD because the missing
video bandwidth was not in the VHS or TV original.

I tried all kinds of capture cards and other methods to capture my
large VHS library, and the Canopus ADVC 100 (or similar model)
captured to DV, edited and burned as 1/2 DV is best solution I have
found, and was often recommended here by experts who knew what they
were doing. Unfortunately, I didn't believe them and had to waste
lots of money and untold time to find out they were right all along.

Jim