can you authentication/login to a domain over a VPN the sa..

Sameer

i finally got my PPTP VPN working with my win2k3 server and my XP clients. while i'm pretty ecstatic about getting things up and running, i'm a touch disappointed.

what i really wanted to do was be able to logon to my domain using the VPN tunnel while i'm away from home for a few weeks. i wanted to be able to have access to my user directory on the server, but most importantly, be able to update and modify my profiles. as it is right now, i can only access shared folders.

do i need terminal services to do this? can anyone tell me if i can do this without terminal services and how i'd go about doing it?

thanks.

you can map your user drives while you have the vpn up but obviously you
can't connect to those drives when the vpn isn't up.

You can't have your profile load at home that is on your domain (AFAIK).

But what you can do (or what I do) is use remote desktop to connect to your
server and do my work within the remote desktop. I establish a vpn
connection and then use remote desktop to connect to the server using its
private IP. You obviously can connect without the vpn using a public IP
address.

--
Robert Cohen
A legend in his own mind

"Sameer" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i finally got my PPTP VPN working with my win2k3 server and my XP clients.
while i'm pretty ecstatic about getting things up and running, i'm a touch
disappointed.

> what i really wanted to do was be able to logon to my domain using the VPN
tunnel while i'm away from home for a few weeks. i wanted to be able to
have access to my user directory on the server, but most importantly, be
able to update and modify my profiles. as it is right now, i can only
access shared folders.

> do i need terminal services to do this? can anyone tell me if i can do
this without terminal services and how i'd go about doing it?

> thanks.

The point to get Authentication/login is because users what access to remote LAN resource. This my current set up:

on the VPN dial connection, second tab: check include windows logon domain, also if there are remote user dont joint domain only match workgroup to domain name, the user will have access to network resource, for backup create a batch file on the desktop -> net use \\<server ip>\netlogon /user:<domain\username><password>

Sorry for my english.

Marcelo Lorca, MCSE

Sameer

speaking of mapping directoires.

i need to deal with this issue before i worry about the profile matter.

for some reason, i can't access the shares. i know this can't be a server
issue, because from another machine on another network i was able to access
the shares w/o any issues.

when i try running "//(server ip)"

it gives me the usual error about:

"Windows cannot find '//(server ip)' . Make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start
button, and then click Search."

any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks - I understand your points, and they make sense to me--but I think to
work with profiles, the machine will need to be joined to the domain, and
log on via the VPN. I've never tried this out--will see if I can do so
sometime before Monday.
-
"Chileno" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The point to get Authentication/login is because users what access to
> remote LAN resource. This my current set up:
>
> on the VPN dial connection, second tab: check include windows logon
> domain, also if there are remote user dont joint domain only match
> workgroup to domain name, the user will have access to network resource,
> for backup create a batch file on the desktop -> net use \\<server
> ip>\netlogon /user:<domain\username><password>
>
> Sorry for my english.
>
> Marcelo Lorca, MCSE

it should be mapped to \\servername\sharename

> when i try running "//(server ip)"
>
> it gives me the usual error about:
>
> "Windows cannot find '//(server ip)' . Make sure you typed the name
> correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start
> button, and then click Search."
>
> any and all help will be appreciated.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 14:03:39 -0400, "Robert Cohen" <dont@want.spam.com>
wrote:

>it should be mapped to \\servername\sharename

Fopr those who might be interested the double backslash is a NetBIOS
naming convention.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

You know you are in Hell when you have to make a
distinction between what is moral and what is legal.