How big are steam updates?

Last response: in Video Games
August 22, 2005 6:58:59 PM

Just curious, anyone keeps track with the size of the updates that Valve
releases? They seem to release them so frequently, its getting annoying.

More about : big steam updates

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 10:23:07 PM

"C.J. Dwight" <ioppp@ass.com> wrote in message

> Just curious, anyone keeps track with the size of the updates that Valve
> releases? They seem to release them so frequently, its getting annoying.
The updates is rather small, takes less than five minutes on a 512/512 ADSL

- Peter
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 10:23:08 PM

I just installed the game, and to get everything updated (except hl1 source)
it took ~340 mb :-(
Now that everything is up to date, I pray updates won't come so frequently
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 2:58:27 AM

C.J. Dwight wrote:
> Just curious, anyone keeps track with the size of the updates that Valve
> releases? They seem to release them so frequently, its getting annoying.

While you can't turn off updates to the steam engine (which are always
tiny anyway - the Steam platform itself is pretty small), you can turn
off automatic updates to any or all of the games (Note that if a game is
not 100% up to date then you must let it update before you play it).

this might be helpful if steam keeps updating a game you rarely play
while you want to play something else.

but as Peter said, they're usually not that big. (Then again I guess if
you start out from scratch after having not updated in months or even
years then it might be a pretty large update..)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
!