Sign in with
Your question

USB and PS/2 devices seen by BIOS, but not by Windows

Last response: in Windows 7
January 1, 2011 12:21:36 AM

Greetings.

Seem to be having a wee bit of an issue here. I am able to get into the BIOS with both USB and PS/2 devices (Keyboards, etc.) but one I boot into Windows I am completely unable to log on. Keyboard does not work, and neither does the mouse. They both light up, but I am unable to get other things to activate (caps lock key, etc.) and key presses do not work. This is with either USB keyboards and mice, PS/2 keyboards and mice, or a mix of the two (or all four attached at once!).

Going into safe mode does not help -- once again, anything USB-based or PS/2-based ceases to function once windows boots, and therefore I am unable to log on in order to diagnose the issue.

I have re-set my BIOS to the default settings, and have removed anything which may provide my system with additional IRQ's -- including both serial ports and my LPT port (yes, this is an older machine).

I have gone into the recovery console, and things *DO* work there, strangely enough. I do have mouse and keyboard support, but bringing the machine back to a previous state (system restore) does nothing to correct the issue. As well, the first few attempts provided me with an 0x800700B7 error message (very strange!) when the restore attempt failed. I got past this issue by choosing a restore point a few days in the past.

Once in the recovery console, I notice that it seems to be strangely deficient in tools that I would actually like to use. I am unable to bring up the MMC (and thereby the hardware devices applet), nor am I able to employ gpedit.msc in order to disable the login (boot straight into Windows). Essentially, it seems that my only tools are the command line, and about the only thing that I have found that can be launched from the command line - regedit.

I was hoping for suggestions. I am running a personal copy of Windows 7 Professional, with all of the latest updates and patches. I have MSE (the newer version) installed and have also installed malwarebytes anti-malware. Nothing found to date.
January 2, 2011 1:50:56 AM

*bump* ... Anyone?
m
l
January 4, 2011 2:03:20 PM

Wow. I guess this problem really is a mystery to most people.

Not like I really wanted to do so, but I guess it‘s wipe-and-reinstall time. Ugh... and this just after I had finally gotten this system configured exactly the way I wanted it...
m
l
Related resources
September 13, 2011 12:08:02 AM

rekabis said:
Wow. I guess this problem really is a mystery to most people.

Not like I really wanted to do so, but I guess it‘s wipe-and-reinstall time. Ugh... and this just after I had finally gotten this system configured exactly the way I wanted it...

I have the exact same problem, and have also had zero luck finding a solution. Sorry to bring a thread back to life 6 months after the fact, especially one that no one ever responded to, but I would REALLY like to find a solution that doesn't involved me re-installing Windows.

Rekabis, I take it you drank the coolaid and re-installed? Did you ever find any useful information?
m
l
September 13, 2011 5:55:13 AM

Well, this is so long ago, that I really can’t remember what the resolution to this issue was. You are probably right, I probably just re-installed the system, because I did not experience this issue again.

I do about an install a week (via contract IT work). Hence trying to remember the specifics of this one nine months later is going no-where.
m
l
October 27, 2011 11:44:19 PM

It's easy just throw away your USB enhanced host controller in system.

Start - configuration - System - devices - usb

Win7.

Greetz Apuntje

rekabis said:
Greetings.

Seem to be having a wee bit of an issue here. I am able to get into the BIOS with both USB and PS/2 devices (Keyboards, etc.) but one I boot into Windows I am completely unable to log on. Keyboard does not work, and neither does the mouse. They both light up, but I am unable to get other things to activate (caps lock key, etc.) and key presses do not work. This is with either USB keyboards and mice, PS/2 keyboards and mice, or a mix of the two (or all four attached at once!).

Going into safe mode does not help -- once again, anything USB-based or PS/2-based ceases to function once windows boots, and therefore I am unable to log on in order to diagnose the issue.

I have re-set my BIOS to the default settings, and have removed anything which may provide my system with additional IRQ's -- including both serial ports and my LPT port (yes, this is an older machine).

I have gone into the recovery console, and things *DO* work there, strangely enough. I do have mouse and keyboard support, but bringing the machine back to a previous state (system restore) does nothing to correct the issue. As well, the first few attempts provided me with an 0x800700B7 error message (very strange!) when the restore attempt failed. I got past this issue by choosing a restore point a few days in the past.

Once in the recovery console, I notice that it seems to be strangely deficient in tools that I would actually like to use. I am unable to bring up the MMC (and thereby the hardware devices applet), nor am I able to employ gpedit.msc in order to disable the login (boot straight into Windows). Essentially, it seems that my only tools are the command line, and about the only thing that I have found that can be launched from the command line - regedit.

I was hoping for suggestions. I am running a personal copy of Windows 7 Professional, with all of the latest updates and patches. I have MSE (the newer version) installed and have also installed malwarebytes anti-malware. Nothing found to date.

m
l
October 28, 2011 4:45:01 AM

Apuntje said:
It's easy just throw away your USB enhanced host controller in system.

Start - configuration - System - devices - usb

Win7.

Greetz Apuntje

If you take the time to actually read the article, I specifically mentioned that I WAS UNABLE TO EVEN LOG ON.

Which, of course, begs the question: How can I possibly “throw away the USB enhanced controller” in the system if I CANNOT EVEN LOG ON??? My ability to follow your suggestions is blocked before I can even get to the first step. After all, one needs to log on in order to even see the start menu.

Oh, and AFAIR, the Recovery Console itself (the only place in Windows where the keyboard/mouse worked) has neither a Start Menu, nor access to MMC (either of which are required in order to access System Devices)

In the end, I did the only thing available to me: I pulled the drive, backed up the relevant data, and then did a wipe-and-reinstall.

Corollary:
What’s with some people and their blatant inability to RTEFM (Read The Entire F**king Message)??

Sheesh.
m
l
!