VideoLan and codecs

I got hold of videolan a few weeks back for it`s MPEG2 playback
capability (i`ve been making up some SVCD`s). Even on my low spec
machine (700Mhz, 256Mb) it was totaly adequate with very little jitter
and a high frame rate. However, possibly as a result of upgrading
Real Player, the VideoLan codecs have become messed up - lots of
jitter, especialy on "busy" scenes where the CPU is being pushed,
clipped sound and hugely distorted colours. I`ve tried manualy
selecting playback codecs in the preferences but no results. I tried
the trial version of PowerDVD and it worked well but with slightly
more jitter than VideoLan. Is there any way to use the PowerDVD Mpeg2
codec in VideoLan (I thought as the most recent installed codec, it
may become the default but no) or to recover the original VideoLan
codec (i`ve tried re-installing)?

Thanks.

En ce beau jour d'été du 12/08/2004 15:07, Ed Whittaker a tapoté :
> However, possibly as a result of upgrading
> Real Player, the VideoLan codecs have become messed up - lots of
> jitter, especialy on "busy" scenes where the CPU is being pushed,
> clipped sound and hugely distorted colours.

No. VLC (the videolan player) doesn't use any codec except its own.
(I mean it won't use the system codec, and any change in the registry
or in the system ouside its directory is irrelevant for it).
So installing any other player or codec pack can't change anything.

> I`ve tried manualy
> selecting playback codecs in the preferences but no results.

Perhaps you should try reseting preferences to default ?

> I tried
> the trial version of PowerDVD and it worked well but with slightly
> more jitter than VideoLan. Is there any way to use the PowerDVD Mpeg2
> codec in VideoLan (I thought as the most recent installed codec, it
> may become the default but no)

No way, because VLC doesn't use system codecs

> or to recover the original VideoLan
> codec (i`ve tried re-installing)?

Again try resetting the defaults ...

If you installed a lot of things, maybe some programs start when the
computer start, and use memory and/or cpu ? You could try stopping those
by right-clicking on their icons in the system tray (I assume you use
windows ?)

Hope this help ...
--
Triff

Triff <s.ins.sans.spam.loiseau@wanadoo.hexagone> wrote in message news:<cffsr3$hts$1@news-reader1.wanadoo.fr>...
Snip helpful advice
> Hope this help ...

Cheers, thanks for helping narrow it down. Turns out I had turned
down hardware acceleration for something or other and forgotten to
turn it back up. Works a treat now.

Ed.

Hi All,

Speaking of VideoLAN does anyone know if it's possible to have some kind
of menu system?

I have a 800Mhz P3 laptop in my living room. Using VLC I can stream
movies from my main, noisy PC (Athlon 2600) nicely. As a bonus my PC
can transcode XVID movies into MPEG2 that the laptop struggles to play
fullscreen.

The laptop has a TV out, which isn't great but not too bad for watching
movies.

What I would really like is to be able to select the movie from the
laptop and have VLC on my PC open & serve it (with transcoding).

Anyone have any ideas?

--
Paul