Remote Host name error message

April 10, 2004 6:01:04 AM

Can anyone explain how to resolve the problem of geting the error message
"Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote host name could not be resolved. Please try again."
I try again and still keep getting the same error message.
Yet if I try with another computer I do not have this problem.
Can anyone help please ?
John

More about : remote host error message

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 2:50:43 PM

Name resolution problem....tryin pinging the other computer by name to see
if it resolves to an IP address. Is this on a LAN or are you trying this
over the Internet?

John wrote:
> Can anyone explain how to resolve the problem of geting the error
> message "Remote Assistance connection could not be established
> because the remote host name could not be resolved. Please try
> again." I try again and still keep getting the same error message.
> Yet if I try with another computer I do not have this problem. Can
> anyone help please ? John
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 11:37:12 PM

If both remote clients connect via the same sort of path, take a good look
at the setup on the working machine--does it have a WINS server on the
target lan defined, for example? DNS?

Are both computers the same OS?

"John" <JohnM@qmax.net.au> wrote in message
> Can anyone explain how to resolve the problem of geting the error message
> "Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote
> host name could not be resolved. Please try again."
> I try again and still keep getting the same error message.
> Yet if I try with another computer I do not have this problem.
> Can anyone help please ?
> John
Related resources
April 12, 2004 7:26:04 AM

I believe I can ping using an IP address, however, I do not know how to ping by computer name. Can you advise me how to do this please ? Is pinging by computer name done on a network or LAN ? I am trying to do this over the internet.
April 12, 2004 7:31:04 AM

Both computers are running Windows XP home. We are trying to do this over the internet.
We had it running initially but now all I get is the same error message.
I do not understand the rest of your questions - sorry.
John
!