Converting my AVI files that look great, to burn to DVD

We are capturing great AVI with either Premire Pro or Power Director.
We now need to edit and burn to DVD. If we encode to MPEGII format
the size drops, but the resolution drops 40%.

Our AVI files are 11 gigs (45 minute lecture). How do we get them
compressed to burn to DVD.

Larry

Larry,

Yes the resolution will drop but you need to choose a bitrate so that you
use the highest possible to fill the DVD, that will give you your best
quality.

You need to convert them to MPEG 2 (DVD) format, most editors these days
will have choices so that when you render it should be obvious what to
choose. Once you have done that you need to run an authoring program (it is
included in some editing packages) to get it ready to burn to DVD.

Thats (very) basicly it. Also have a look at www.dvdrhelp.com

Pete D

"Larry Schoonover" <larry@southsound.org> wrote in message
> We are capturing great AVI with either Premire Pro or Power Director.
> We now need to edit and burn to DVD. If we encode to MPEGII format
> the size drops, but the resolution drops 40%.
>
> Our AVI files are 11 gigs (45 minute lecture). How do we get them
> compressed to burn to DVD.
>

> Larry

"Larry Schoonover" <larry@southsound.org> wrote in message

> We are capturing great AVI with either Premire Pro or Power Director.
> We now need to edit and burn to DVD. If we encode to MPEGII format
> the size drops, but the resolution drops 40%.

The output resolution should be controlled by the output resolution settings
you choose. I would be very wary of any encoder that makes these choices
for me without my authority.

On 12 Aug 2004 12:24:48 -0700, larry@southsound.org (Larry Schoonover)
wrote:

>We are capturing great AVI with either Premire Pro or Power Director.
>We now need to edit and burn to DVD. If we encode to MPEGII format
>the size drops, but the resolution drops 40%.

Do you mean your capture has a higher resolution than D1 (720x480 NTSC
-make that 576 for PAL) the highest one offered by DVD ? What are you
capturing from? And what are you using to make the captures? Common
devices and software I know of, do not allow you to capture at a
resolution higher than D1.