file size resulting from # of pixels/colors?

This one's bugging me. Shouldn't the # of pixels equal the resolution
(say 1024x768 = 786,432), yielding a file of 786K? Or is it divided by 8
for a bits/bytes conversion like with soundfiles, giving 98304? And then
what about the color depth? Wouldn't you multiply it by 16million if it's
24bit? Obviously not, since that gives a ridiculous #, but how DOES it
work? I'm annoyingly confused :(
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 06:42:14 -0800,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

>This one's bugging me. Shouldn't the # of pixels equal the resolution
>(say 1024x768 = 786,432), yielding a file of 786K? Or is it divided by 8
>for a bits/bytes conversion like with soundfiles, giving 98304? And then
>what about the color depth? Wouldn't you multiply it by 16million if it's
>24bit? Obviously not, since that gives a ridiculous #, but how DOES it
>work? I'm annoyingly confused :(

No conversion and 24 bit doesn't factor in, the image size should be
close to the camera's actual resolution. Some manufactors uses 2
different sets of number: effective and one other I forgot atm.

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 06:42:14 -0800,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

>This one's bugging me. Shouldn't the # of pixels equal the resolution
>(say 1024x768 = 786,432), yielding a file of 786K? Or is it divided by 8
>for a bits/bytes conversion like with soundfiles, giving 98304? And then
>what about the color depth? Wouldn't you multiply it by 16million if it's
>24bit? Obviously not, since that gives a ridiculous #, but how DOES it
>work? I'm annoyingly confused :(

roughly
24bit = 3 bytes so number of pixels times 3 bytes divided by the jpg
compression factor .. I said roughly .. make that very roughly :)

I think it works like this: (filesize in bytes) = (pixels * BitsPerPixel)/8
thus, 1 megapixels, at 21 bit colour depth is almost 3Mb, of course, the
image is usually preprocessed on board the camera to roughly 1/5 of that if
it saving the images in jpg format, yielding a jpg picture around half a meg
in size.
However, i could be wrong, I'm not an expert on dgcams, yet, but I'm
learning. Is this right, you experts?

<see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
> This one's bugging me. Shouldn't the # of pixels equal the resolution
> (say 1024x768 = 786,432), yielding a file of 786K? Or is it divided by 8
> for a bits/bytes conversion like with soundfiles, giving 98304? And then
> what about the color depth? Wouldn't you multiply it by 16million if it's
> 24bit? Obviously not, since that gives a ridiculous #, but how DOES it
> work? I'm annoyingly confused :(
> For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
> Yeah, it's really a real address :)

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Oly C8080 8 Meg camera
Raw file 11,809KB
Tif file 20,823KB

"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 06:42:14 -0800,
> see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
>
>>This one's bugging me. Shouldn't the # of pixels equal the resolution
>>(say 1024x768 = 786,432), yielding a file of 786K? Or is it divided by 8
>>for a bits/bytes conversion like with soundfiles, giving 98304? And then
>>what about the color depth? Wouldn't you multiply it by 16million if it's
>>24bit? Obviously not, since that gives a ridiculous #, but how DOES it
>>work? I'm annoyingly confused :(
>
> No conversion and 24 bit doesn't factor in, the image size should be
> close to the camera's actual resolution. Some manufactors uses 2
> different sets of number: effective and one other I forgot atm.
> --
> To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net

jpeg has at least ten compression levels, from no loss of detail to lossy
compression.