DVD Recorders - recording in LP mode ?

I'd be interested in knowing what the picture quality is when
recording in the LP mode?
Is the quality when recording the 3, 4, or 6 hour mode the same as
recording a VHS tape in SP mode? or is it simular to recording a VHS
in LP mode?

Regards Brian
12 answers Last reply
More about recorders recording mode

    "Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    > I'd be interested in knowing what the picture quality is when
    > recording in the LP mode?
    > Is the quality when recording the 3, 4, or 6 hour mode the same as
    > recording a VHS tape in SP mode? or is it simular to recording a VHS
    > in LP mode?
    >
    > Regards Brian

    Brian,
    I have tested both and in my opinion the 4 hour mode is probably equal to
    the sp on a vhs, and the 1 and 2 hour mode better than a vhs, and I guess
    the 6 hour mode comparable to slp mode on a vhs.
    You wouldn't want to save anything of value on 6 hour mode either on vhs or
    dvd, would you?
    But for fitting a bunch of stuff you want to watch and erase, it's perfect.
    Or if you will watch on a tiny set, also ok, but if you watch on a big set
    the loss of resolution will show up.

    Of course their is another difference you will notice between vhs and dvd,
    that is as the quality goes down you notice artifacts except on the dvd,
    they are digital artifacts, like blockiness on fast moving scenes, caused by
    the compression, where on vhs, it's more of a loss of detail that is
    constant and throughout the picture. It's a subtle difference but you become
    used to it.

    In the past when we had a bad picture, we had fuzz and snow, nowadays with
    digital tv (satellite and cable) we have digital compression artifacts and
    digital dropouts, but never any snow. It's the nature of the new technology.
    Sort of like when we listened to analog records and after a while we heard
    scratches and hiss etc... but now cd's are crystal clear but we get other
    problems like skips and other music artifacts when their is a problem, so
    it's not an exact comparison when comparing an analog compression to a
    digital compression.

    I hope this helps,
    AnthonyR

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:25:09 +1200, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

    >I'd be interested in knowing what the picture quality is when
    >recording in the LP mode?
    >Is the quality when recording the 3, 4, or 6 hour mode the same as
    >recording a VHS tape in SP mode? or is it simular to recording a VHS
    >in LP mode?

    Comparing DVD modes to VHS isn't going to end up with a perfect
    match. First thing, the encoding quality and parameters differ
    between machines and software. That means that at a given recording
    rate, two different recorders may have quite different qualities.

    Second thing, VHS analog video and DVD mpeg2 digital are quite
    different formats. Lower "speeds" result in different sorts of
    degradation in each format. VHS analog picks up much more noise and
    loses resolution, whereas digital at lower data rates tends to lose
    detail first, then if the parameters are so set, resolution. Motion
    artifiacts appear in digital -- things move slower or blur, or the
    image gets blockier looking, when there is more motion on screen --
    which never happens with analog.

    If you already had the recorder, I'd suggest trying out the
    different recording qualities to see how they look to you. In any
    case, how good it needs to look vs. storage space is a matter of
    personal judgement.

    As the others answered, one and two hour modes are above VHS
    quality. Both are usually full resolution as well. The easiest way
    to get a 4 hour rate is to halve the resolution of the two hour rate.
    With half the video data to encode, the resulting artifacts tend to be
    similar. Since VHS resolution is about half that of full DVD, at this
    point you're at a pretty close match to VHS SP.

    Longer recording times mean cutting motion data, resulting in more
    artifacts or less detail. mpeg1 recording is another option -- that
    costs resolution again (it is quarter full DVD), and the quality is
    similar to VHS, with a lower frame rate. Subjectively, I think it
    looks a lot worse -- due to motion artifacts and blurring -- than
    lower data rate mpeg2, but it isn't a bad option if you need long
    recording times.

    "AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote:

    >"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> I'd be interested in knowing what the picture quality is when
    >> recording in the LP mode?
    >> Is the quality when recording the 3, 4, or 6 hour mode the same as
    >> recording a VHS tape in SP mode? or is it simular to recording a VHS
    >> in LP mode?
    >>
    >> Regards Brian
    >
    >Brian,
    >I have tested both and in my opinion the 4 hour mode is probably equal to
    >the sp on a vhs, and the 1 and 2 hour mode better than a vhs, and I guess
    >the 6 hour mode comparable to slp mode on a vhs.
    >You wouldn't want to save anything of value on 6 hour mode either on vhs or
    >dvd, would you?
    >But for fitting a bunch of stuff you want to watch and erase, it's perfect.
    >Or if you will watch on a tiny set, also ok, but if you watch on a big set
    >the loss of resolution will show up.
    >
    >Of course their is another difference you will notice between vhs and dvd,
    >that is as the quality goes down you notice artifacts except on the dvd,
    >they are digital artifacts, like blockiness on fast moving scenes, caused by
    >the compression, where on vhs, it's more of a loss of detail that is
    >constant and throughout the picture. It's a subtle difference but you become
    >used to it.
    >
    >In the past when we had a bad picture, we had fuzz and snow, nowadays with
    >digital tv (satellite and cable) we have digital compression artifacts and
    >digital dropouts, but never any snow. It's the nature of the new technology.
    >Sort of like when we listened to analog records and after a while we heard
    >scratches and hiss etc... but now cd's are crystal clear but we get other
    >problems like skips and other music artifacts when their is a problem, so
    >it's not an exact comparison when comparing an analog compression to a
    >digital compression.
    >
    >I hope this helps,
    >AnthonyR

    Thanks AnthonyR for the information.
    At this stage I'm considering the value of DVD Recorders compared to a
    VHS recorder. I'm also considering the costs of the media.
    It's good to know that I can fit 4 hours on a DVD, which would be
    equal to recording on a 4 hour video tape in SP. The cost of the VHS
    and DVD-RW would be about the same.
    Do you notice antifacts when recording in the 4 hour mode on your DVD
    recorder?

    Regards Brian

    Brian asked:

    >>Do you notice antifacts when recording in the 4 hour mode on your DVD
    recorder?>>

    I agree with the other poster in that 4 hour DVD looks about like sp VHS,
    but of course there are going to be artifacts. They are going to be worse when
    there is a lot of motion, so it depends on what you are recording. I video tape
    a number of lectures that are mainly talking heads and slides. I can record 6
    hours of lectures onto a DVd and it looks really good, but if the speakers were
    jumping around and doing cart-wheels, there would be a lot of artifacts.

    Dave
    http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

    > Thanks AnthonyR for the information.
    > At this stage I'm considering the value of DVD Recorders compared to a
    > VHS recorder. I'm also considering the costs of the media.
    > It's good to know that I can fit 4 hours on a DVD, which would be
    > equal to recording on a 4 hour video tape in SP. The cost of the VHS
    > and DVD-RW would be about the same.
    > Do you notice antifacts when recording in the 4 hour mode on your DVD
    > recorder?
    >
    > Regards Brian

    As the others have also replied, the motion artifacts you will see on dvd
    vs. vhs are mostly on fast moving scenes and more prominent at the longer
    recording times, but I personally think the 4 hour mode is acceptable for
    most video.
    And for something like a lecture the 6 hour mode is fine also, I hear there
    was an 8 hour mode on some brand of dvd recorder but would think that's just
    a marketing trick and wouldn't be used much unless done for surveillance of
    something.
    AnthonyR

    >As the others have also replied, the motion artifacts you will see on dvd
    >vs. vhs are mostly on fast moving scenes and more prominent at the longer
    >recording times, but I personally think the 4 hour mode is acceptable for
    >most video.
    >And for something like a lecture the 6 hour mode is fine also, I hear there
    >was an 8 hour mode on some brand of dvd recorder but would think that's just
    >a marketing trick and wouldn't be used much unless done for surveillance of
    >something.
    >AnthonyR

    Ok

    Well I think 4 hrs would be OK with em for my "time
    shifting".

    Question..... can these DVD burners be set so that it
    will continually record the newest show over the old
    one?

    Example.... say i want to time shift David Letterman
    for later viewing. Its only necessary that I have the
    MOST previous one....and NOT all previous ones. Can
    these units re-record the newest one over the oldest
    one so that a person always has the latest show?

    <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >As the others have also replied, the motion artifacts you will see on dvd
    > >vs. vhs are mostly on fast moving scenes and more prominent at the longer
    > >recording times, but I personally think the 4 hour mode is acceptable for
    > >most video.
    > >And for something like a lecture the 6 hour mode is fine also, I hear
    there
    > >was an 8 hour mode on some brand of dvd recorder but would think that's
    just
    > >a marketing trick and wouldn't be used much unless done for surveillance
    of
    > >something.
    > >AnthonyR
    >
    > Ok
    >
    > Well I think 4 hrs would be OK with em for my "time
    > shifting".
    >
    > Question..... can these DVD burners be set so that it
    > will continually record the newest show over the old
    > one?
    >
    > Example.... say i want to time shift David Letterman
    > for later viewing. Its only necessary that I have the
    > MOST previous one....and NOT all previous ones. Can
    > these units re-record the newest one over the oldest
    > one so that a person always has the latest show?

    Hmm, interesting question, I'm not sure, the one I have is basically like a
    vcr and if used with a dvd+rw disc and its timer can re-record the newer
    show onto the disc until it's filled, not sure what happens after that.
    Of course you can manually delete shows and record more but never tried
    exactly what you asked.

    It sounds to me, what you might want better is a dvd recorder with a built
    in hard drive, sort of a tivo like feature
    and can be set to keep 1 or 2 of the most current episodes of a particular
    show.

    Hope this helps,
    AnthonyR

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    > >As the others have also replied, the motion artifacts you will see on dvd
    > >vs. vhs are mostly on fast moving scenes and more prominent at the longer
    > >recording times, but I personally think the 4 hour mode is acceptable for
    > >most video.
    > >And for something like a lecture the 6 hour mode is fine also, I hear there
    > >was an 8 hour mode on some brand of dvd recorder but would think that's just
    > >a marketing trick and wouldn't be used much unless done for surveillance of
    > >something.
    > >AnthonyR
    >
    > Ok
    >
    > Well I think 4 hrs would be OK with em for my "time
    > shifting".
    >
    > Question..... can these DVD burners be set so that it
    > will continually record the newest show over the old
    > one?
    >
    > Example.... say i want to time shift David Letterman
    > for later viewing. Its only necessary that I have the
    > MOST previous one....and NOT all previous ones. Can
    > these units re-record the newest one over the oldest
    > one so that a person always has the latest show?

    Can't speak for all DVD recorders, but my combo VCR/DVD Sansui VRDVD4005 records
    DVD until the disk is full. You need to manually erase the disk (assuming DVD-RW)
    to begin anew... no automatic erasing. You can use VR or video mode for
    recording. Bear in mind too that most DVD recordings are variable bit rate
    encoded so you can't say exactly that a 4 hour recording is 1/2 resolution of 2
    hour recording. It depends a great deal on the material being recorded.
    Letterman show (talking heads basically) might be terrific in 4 hour mode but
    action movie might be terrible.

    George

    << From: George steber@execpc.com
    Date: Sat, Aug 14, 2004 8:39 AM >>

    << me6@privacy.net wrote: >>

    << > Question..... can these DVD burners be set so that it
    > will continually record the newest show over the old
    > one?
    >
    > Example.... say i want to time shift David Letterman
    > for later viewing. Its only necessary that I have the
    > MOST previous one....and NOT all previous ones. Can
    > these units re-record the newest one over the oldest
    > one so that a person always has the latest show?

    Can't speak for all DVD recorders, but my combo VCR/DVD Sansui VRDVD4005
    records
    DVD until the disk is full. You need to manually erase the disk (assuming
    DVD-RW)
    to begin anew... no automatic erasing. You can use VR or video mode for
    recording. Bear in mind too that most DVD recordings are variable bit rate
    encoded so you can't say exactly that a 4 hour recording is 1/2 resolution of 2
    hour recording. It depends a great deal on the material being recorded.
    Letterman show (talking heads basically) might be terrific in 4 hour mode but
    action movie might be terrible.

    George

    The Panasonic DMR-HS@ has a selection form "Renwal Recording" in the timer
    recording section. If that is selected for a program, the first recording of a
    program is overridden by the next scheduled recording of that program. I
    suspect most of the Panasonics have this feature but don't know for sure.
    Look for a reference to "Renewal Recordings" on the Panasonic site.

    "FredBillie" <fredbillie@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
    > << From: George steber@execpc.com
    > Date: Sat, Aug 14, 2004 8:39 AM >>

    > << me6@privacy.net wrote: >>

    > << > Question..... can these DVD burners be set so that it
    >> will continually record the newest show over the old
    >> one?
    >>
    >> Example.... say i want to time shift David Letterman
    >> for later viewing. Its only necessary that I have the
    >> MOST previous one....and NOT all previous ones. Can
    >> these units re-record the newest one over the oldest
    >> one so that a person always has the latest show?
    >
    > Can't speak for all DVD recorders, but my combo VCR/DVD Sansui VRDVD4005
    > records
    > DVD until the disk is full. You need to manually erase the disk (assuming
    > DVD-RW)
    > to begin anew... no automatic erasing. You can use VR or video mode for
    > recording. Bear in mind too that most DVD recordings are variable bit rate
    > encoded so you can't say exactly that a 4 hour recording is 1/2 resolution
    > of 2
    > hour recording. It depends a great deal on the material being recorded.
    > Letterman show (talking heads basically) might be terrific in 4 hour mode
    > but
    > action movie might be terrible.
    >
    > George
    > >>

    > The Panasonic DMR-HS@ has a selection form "Renwal Recording" in the timer
    > recording section. If that is selected for a program, the first recording
    > of a
    > program is overridden by the next scheduled recording of that program. I
    > suspect most of the Panasonics have this feature but don't know for sure.
    > Look for a reference to "Renewal Recordings" on the Panasonic site.

    I am curious, that feature you talk about, I guess it's only available on
    DVD-RAM? Right?
    Well, it must be anyway cause a DVD-R isn't rewritable and I think the
    Panasonic use the DVD-RAM disc for
    the re-writable features.

    << > The Panasonic DMR-HS2 has a selection form "Renwal Recording" in the timer
    > recording section. If that is selected for a program, the first recording
    > of a
    > program is overridden by the next scheduled recording of that program. I
    > suspect most of the Panasonics have this feature but don't know for sure.
    > Look for a reference to "Renewal Recordings" on the Panasonic site.

    I am curious, that feature you talk about, I guess it's only available on
    DVD-RAM? Right?
    Well, it must be anyway cause a DVD-R isn't rewritable and I think the
    Panasonic use the DVD-RAM disc for
    the re-writable features.

    The renewal feature is available on DVD-Ram and the Hard drive.

    > << > The Panasonic DMR-HS2 has a selection form "Renwal Recording" in the
    > timer
    >> recording section. If that is selected for a program, the first recording
    >> of a
    >> program is overridden by the next scheduled recording of that program. I
    >> suspect most of the Panasonics have this feature but don't know for sure.
    >> Look for a reference to "Renewal Recordings" on the Panasonic site.
    >
    > I am curious, that feature you talk about, I guess it's only available on
    > DVD-RAM? Right?
    > Well, it must be anyway cause a DVD-R isn't rewritable and I think the
    > Panasonic use the DVD-RAM disc for
    > the re-writable features.
    > >>

    > The renewal feature is available on DVD-Ram and the Hard drive.

    Thanks for the confirmation.
    AnthonyR

Tuner Cards DVD Desktops Video Graphics