Blue Shift released on Steam

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 25, 2005 3:45:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

From:
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/644/644836p1.html

"As promised, Half-Life: Blue Shift has been released onto Valve's
Steam service for owners of Half-Life Premier Pack, Half-Life 2
Silver, or Half-Life 2 Gold.

Restart Steam to download and install the somewhat weak Half-Life
expansion pack."
August 25, 2005 3:45:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

Shawk wrote:

> 1Mb BB connection.

everyone knows when you have such a high speed internet access
online delivery is faster
but how much do you pay for that high speed internet access?
do you think everyone has the possibility of choosing this kind
of net access?
do you think the majority around the world have access to these
kinds of connections?
do you think the majority around the world have the money to pay
for these high speed connections?
neither a large majority has the money neither the local internet
providers have this kinds of offers
you must realize you belong to a PRIVILEGE minority
but yes i know you don't give a damn about other pc gamers
for you pc games must be a privilege only for those like you

ps: with all your high speed internet and online delivery you
couldn't be any faster than me cause i do own and play blueshit
since many years ago

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

news:D 1upg15blj5g3e9o1kvgloc1k02otcffd2@4ax.com...
> From:
> http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/644/644836p1.html
>
> "As promised, Half-Life: Blue Shift has been released onto Valve's
> Steam service for owners of Half-Life Premier Pack, Half-Life 2
> Silver, or Half-Life 2 Gold.
>
> Restart Steam to download and install the somewhat weak Half-Life
> expansion pack."

"Ready to play in approximately 20 minutes" says my Steam updater. Little
bit quicker than ordering it from Amazon/Play/Ebay.

1Mb BB connection.
Related resources
August 25, 2005 4:32:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:29:14 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>"Ready to play in approximately 20 minutes" says my Steam updater. Little
>bit quicker than ordering it from Amazon/Play/Ebay.

Yup, got mine in about 20 minutes, just had a quick play of it.
August 25, 2005 4:32:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 8/24/2005 4:32 PM Andrew brightened our day with:

>On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:29:14 +0100, "Shawk"
><shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>

>>"Ready to play in approximately 20 minutes" says my Steam updater. Little
>>bit quicker than ordering it from Amazon/Play/Ebay.
>>

>Yup, got mine in about 20 minutes, just had a quick play of it.

It doesn't seem to be available to me on my HL2: CE account, but it is
on my regular HL account.

--
Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said that about Galileo."
Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 11:07:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"LymanAlpha" wrote

> It doesn't seem to be available to me on my HL2: CE account, but it is on
> my regular HL account.

It's available for HL2 Silver or HL2 Gold or HL owners

- Peter
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 11:30:19 AM

"steamKILLER" wrote

> but how much do you pay for that high speed internet access?

Much cheaper than modem/dialup

> do you think everyone has the possibility of choosing this kind
> of net access?

In this country - yes

> do you think the majority around the world have access to these
> kinds of connections?

Well I don't expect some obscure parts of the third world to have internet
access
Then again you don't need internet access if you don't own a pc

Should I feel quilty of having a car
Should I feel quiltyof flying to destinations in Scandiavia, Europe on a
frequent basis?
Should I feel quilty of being able to give my kids a decent meal every day?
Nahh don't think so

> do you think the majority around the world have the money to pay
> for these high speed connections?

At 300Dkr a month why not?

> neither a large majority has the money neither the local internet
> providers have this kinds of offers

Then move!

> you must realize you belong to a PRIVILEGE minority

Nope a PRIVILEGE majority in this part of the world

> but yes i know you don't give a damn about other pc gamers
> for you pc games must be a privilege only for those like you

Ha, you envy him

- Peter
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 2:32:47 PM

Shawk wrote:

> "Ready to play in approximately 20 minutes" says my Steam updater.

Thats the time it takes to play from start to finish, right? :p

Civilian_Target
August 25, 2005 2:32:48 PM

"Civilian_Target" <tadhgp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Shawk wrote:
>
>> "Ready to play in approximately 20 minutes" says my Steam updater.
>
> Thats the time it takes to play from start to finish, right? :p
>
> Civilian_Target

Many a true word spoken in jest (as grannie said). You're not that far
off..... I think it was 3-6hrs? I'll have to try it this weekend.
August 25, 2005 2:34:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

news:D 1upg15blj5g3e9o1kvgloc1k02otcffd2@4ax.com...
> From:
> http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/644/644836p1.html
>
> "As promised, Half-Life: Blue Shift has been released onto Valve's
> Steam service for owners of Half-Life Premier Pack, Half-Life 2
> Silver, or Half-Life 2 Gold.
>
> Restart Steam to download and install the somewhat weak Half-Life
> expansion pack."

downloading now - what about the high res texture pack - is that included ?
August 25, 2005 3:04:01 PM

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Shawk wrote:
>
>> 1Mb BB connection.
>
> everyone knows when you have such a high speed internet access
> online delivery is faster

True. In the UK, it's harder to not have BB than to have it. We just got our
line upgraded to 2.5Mbits without them saying a thing. It just suddenly
started downloading really quick. We phoned them, 'cos I didn't want to pay
for something I hadn't ordered, and the response was: "Oh yeah, um it's
free". Apparently they upgraded the exchange and it's more hassle to
throttle our line. 5 minutes to my debut on Blue Shift now. Whereabouts are
you from - Sierra Leone?

Oh and the "No archive" thing belongs in you header, not the body of the
message. You don't look clever and your message *will* be archived.

Neil
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 3:22:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Quoth The Raven: Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> in
d1upg15blj5g3e9o1kvgloc1k02otcffd2@4ax.com
> From:
> http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/644/644836p1.html
>
> "As promised, Half-Life: Blue Shift has been released onto Valve's
> Steam service for owners of Half-Life Premier Pack, Half-Life 2
> Silver, or Half-Life 2 Gold.
>
> Restart Steam to download and install the somewhat weak Half-Life
> expansion pack."

took 5 minutes

--
Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
August 25, 2005 3:41:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:34:41 GMT, "Sleepy"
<bpespleyremovetheobvious@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>downloading now - what about the high res texture pack - is that included ?

I am not sure as I never played Blue Shift before. From what I have
seen it doesn't look any different to HL, so I would guess it isn't.
August 25, 2005 3:49:20 PM

> I am not sure as I never played Blue Shift before. From what I have
> seen it doesn't look any different to HL, so I would guess it isn't.

Engage brain - There's a texture pack that makes moderate improvements to
most sprites.

However, the lift bug seems to be installed worse than ever, I can't get
past the lift scene with the two scientists without one of them keeling over
dead and the game ending.

Can it be THAT hard to fix the lift bug - with us since day one? Never
improved or even acknowleged, this bug is a showstopper. You either take
damage, get stuck in one place, or, occasionally are free to walk away from
the lift.

Neil
August 25, 2005 3:53:20 PM

"Neil" <noway@hosay.com> wrote in message
> Engage brain - There's a texture pack that makes moderate improvements to
> most sprites.

My mistake - the freebie Steam version has all old textures. Spot on,
Valve.. :(

Neil
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 4:02:56 PM

"Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:

>"LymanAlpha" wrote
>>>
>>It doesn't seem to be available to me on my HL2: CE account, but
>>it is on my regular HL account.
>>
>It's available for HL2 Silver or HL2 Gold or HL owners

I only own the HL2 retail DVD and the CS retail CD released some years
ago (which is stripped of all HL1 singleplayer content) and still Steam
offered me HL1 including Opposing force upon registering the CS retail
key and now offers me to d/l Blue Shift.

So much for Valvue using Steam to rip off people.
August 25, 2005 4:07:26 PM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:49:20 +0100, "Neil" <noway@hosay.com> wrote:

>However, the lift bug seems to be installed worse than ever, I can't get
>past the lift scene with the two scientists without one of them keeling over
>dead and the game ending.

I got through that without a problem.
August 25, 2005 4:15:13 PM

> I got through that without a problem.

Lucky you. I'll have to spin the roulette wheel again and start from the
beginning I suppose.. Thanks for the feedback though, shows it's not
inevitable :)

Neil
August 25, 2005 4:19:22 PM

> "Neil" <noway@hosay.com> wrote in message
>> Engage brain - There's a texture pack that makes moderate improvements to
>> most sprites.
>
> My mistake - the freebie Steam version has all old textures. Spot on,
> Valve.. :(
>
> Neil

There is a way of making the high(er) def pack work with Steam (if you have
the BS disc with them on of course). Dont have the details handy but it's
been posted (in AGHL) before - google is your friend ;-)

If you dont have the disc then BS is available on Amazon.co.uk for around
£2.50
August 25, 2005 4:21:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:49:20 +0100, "Neil" <noway@hosay.com> wrote:
>
>>However, the lift bug seems to be installed worse than ever, I can't get
>>past the lift scene with the two scientists without one of them keeling
>>over
>>dead and the game ending.
>
> I got through that without a problem.

The 'beauty' of that bug was always that it affected some folk, some of the
time. It was never consistent. Perhaps that's why it was never fixed...
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:18:47 PM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Neil wrote:

> Can it be THAT hard to fix the lift bug - with us since day one? Never
> improved or even acknowleged, this bug is a showstopper. You either take

Valve probably just has a HL1 to HL2 level converter which they use to
throw some bits to the Steam crowd without even bothering to do anything
about fixing bugs or making it better. AFAIK the Uplink demo is also not
included in the Steam version of HL1, although I did this in a patch...

August 25, 2005 5:18:48 PM

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0508251314490.30070@localhost...
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Neil wrote:
>
>> Can it be THAT hard to fix the lift bug - with us since day one? Never
>> improved or even acknowleged, this bug is a showstopper. You either take
>
> Valve probably just has a HL1 to HL2 level converter which they use to
> throw some bits to the Steam crowd without even bothering to do anything
> about fixing bugs or making it better. AFAIK the Uplink demo is also not
> included in the Steam version of HL1, although I did this in a patch...

There are no elevator bugs in HL2

The uplink demo is not in the retail version either
August 25, 2005 5:52:44 PM

> The 'beauty' of that bug was always that it affected some folk, some of
> the time. It was never consistent. Perhaps that's why it was never
> fixed...

Indeed.. Oh well, got past the bit with the lift. It screwed up *again*
after the explosion doing the "Looping footstep noise" party trick. Actually
quite thrilling juggling the quicksave button and the jump key - maybe an
idea for a spoof subgame?! ;)

Neil
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:27:48 PM

Neil wrote:
> "Neil" <noway@hosay.com> wrote in message
>
>>Engage brain - There's a texture pack that makes moderate improvements to
>>most sprites.
>

> My mistake - the freebie Steam version has all old textures. Spot on,
> Valve.. :(
>
> Neil

Brain not engaged?
August 25, 2005 6:27:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Walter "Ah, I can reply to this one!" Mitty" <mitticus@gmail.com> wrote in
message news:3n5rq3FbqiU2@uni-berlin.de...
> Brain not engaged?

No, I hadn't expected Valve to leave it out.

Saying "Blue Shift iz jus like half life" is still factually incorrect, as
until this release, which nobody could play until about the time of my post,
Blue Shift carried the texture pack as standard.

Neil
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:49:12 PM

Andrew wrote:
> From:
> http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/644/644836p1.html
>
> "As promised, Half-Life: Blue Shift has been released onto Valve's
> Steam service for owners of Half-Life Premier Pack, Half-Life 2
> Silver, or Half-Life 2 Gold.
>
> Restart Steam to download and install the somewhat weak Half-Life
> expansion pack."

Steam is really the business : a cold, wet afternoon and 5 minutes after
reading this post I'm playing Blue Shift for FREE.

Nice. And as I play it, I'm not giving myself an ulcer worrying about
whether I can play it in 10 years time. Nicer.
August 25, 2005 6:49:13 PM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:49:12 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com> wrote:

>|Andrew wrote:
>|> From:
>|> http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/644/644836p1.html
>|>
>|> "As promised, Half-Life: Blue Shift has been released onto Valve's
>|> Steam service for owners of Half-Life Premier Pack, Half-Life 2
>|> Silver, or Half-Life 2 Gold.
>|>
>|> Restart Steam to download and install the somewhat weak Half-Life
>|> expansion pack."
>|
>|Steam is really the business : a cold, wet afternoon and 5 minutes after
>|reading this post I'm playing Blue Shift for FREE.
>|
>|Nice. And as I play it, I'm not giving myself an ulcer worrying about
>|whether I can play it in 10 years time. Nicer.

I'm just a little miffed that I can't access this "free" expansion because I
made the mistake of going to the store and buying my copy of HL2. (?!?)

Thanks Valve for nothing. Way to make your customers happy. At least offer me a
choice to download it for $5 or something..

Pluvious
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:49:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Matthias Puch" wrote

> I only own the HL2 retail DVD and the CS retail CD
> released some years ago (which is stripped of all HL1
> singleplayer content)

Yep CS was released as a standalone package at some point
Owners of Gunman Chronicles have the same option

> and still Steam offered me HL1 including Opposing force
> upon registering the CS retail key and now offers me to
> d/l Blue Shift.

Valve probably couldn't tell which was which from the CDKey only

> So much for Valvue using Steam to rip off people.

Yep some evil bastards they are

- Peter
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 7:24:24 PM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Shawk wrote:

> The uplink demo is not in the retail version either

So what? You would think Valve re-released HL and BS with the new engine
so that they would look and play better. Why not take a little additional
time and include missing demo levels, fix bugs and provide new textures?

But probably they only re-release all this stuff because the have nothing
new except some small addons they probably make from parts left out of HL2
and if HL2 is anything to guess from, HL3 is still a long time off :( ...

August 25, 2005 7:24:25 PM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:24:24 +0200, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>But probably they only re-release all this stuff because the have nothing
>new except some small addons they probably make from parts left out of HL2
>and if HL2 is anything to guess from, HL3 is still a long time off :( ...

I don't think HL3 will be that far away, most of the HL2 content was
done in the past couple of years and the Source engine has a lot of
legs yet, especially with the forthcoming HDR extensions.
August 25, 2005 7:24:25 PM

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0508251517490.30070@localhost...
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Shawk wrote:
>
>> The uplink demo is not in the retail version either
>
> So what? You would think Valve re-released HL and BS with the new engine
> so that they would look and play better. Why not take a little additional
> time and include missing demo levels, fix bugs and provide new textures?
>
> But probably they only re-release all this stuff because the have nothing
> new except some small addons they probably make from parts left out of HL2
> and if HL2 is anything to guess from, HL3 is still a long time off :( ...

So what? I dont know... you raised it.

I dont know many other developers that make their back catalogue available
for free - do you? Are there any other developers that you complain haven't
remade their old games with missing demo levels or new textures? AFAIK
Valve are busy working on new chapters for HL2. I'd rather they do that
than rework old stuff. You obviously have real issues with Valve and that's
fine. Whatever floats your boat.

BTW - looking forward to Bloodlines 1.7. Thanks for spending the time on
the game.
August 25, 2005 10:24:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:19:44 -0700, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
wrote:

>I'm just a little miffed that I can't access this "free" expansion because I
>made the mistake of going to the store and buying my copy of HL2. (?!?)
>
>Thanks Valve for nothing. Way to make your customers happy. At least offer me a
>choice to download it for $5 or something..

You aren't a Valve customer, you are a Vivendi customer.
August 25, 2005 11:54:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Pluvious" wrote

> I'm just a little miffed that I can't access this "free" expansion because
> made the mistake of going to the store and buying my copy of HL2. (?!?)

It's only available for HL2 packages which includes the backcatalog

> Thanks Valve for nothing. Way to make your customers happy. At least offer
> me a
> choice to download it for $5 or something..

Get the minmum HL package and you'll be fine
Or Counter-Strike (full package)
Or Gunman Chronicles
Or (maybe) Day Of Defeat (full package)

- Peter
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:04:02 AM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 23:45:32 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>From:
>http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/644/644836p1.html
>
>"As promised, Half-Life: Blue Shift has been released onto Valve's
>Steam service for owners of Half-Life Premier Pack, Half-Life 2
>Silver, or Half-Life 2 Gold.
>
>Restart Steam to download and install the somewhat weak Half-Life
>expansion pack."

Ah, now this one I can get....but I'm not going to as I played through it once
years ago and have no intention of doing so again. ;-)
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:07:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:19:44 -0700, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote:

>>|Steam is really the business : a cold, wet afternoon and 5 minutes after
>>|reading this post I'm playing Blue Shift for FREE.
>>|
>>|Nice. And as I play it, I'm not giving myself an ulcer worrying about
>>|whether I can play it in 10 years time. Nicer.
>
>I'm just a little miffed that I can't access this "free" expansion because I
>made the mistake of going to the store and buying my copy of HL2. (?!?)
>
>Thanks Valve for nothing. Way to make your customers happy. At least offer me a
>choice to download it for $5 or something..

I bought the DVD and I can have Blue Shift. Then again that might be because I
added the HL1 package to that.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:57:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Quoth The Raven: Neil <noway@hosay.com> in
KcydnZHfh_0WCpDeRVnyhQ@pipex.net

> Oh and the "No archive" thing belongs in you header, not the body of
> the message. You don't look clever and your message *will* be
> archived.
> Neil

actually as long as its the first thing before you begin your msg it
does work, providing Google and other archivers comply.

should preceed all post not wanting to be archived in news groups

Take the inetcomm.dll file
and make a backup just in case. Then with Outlook Express closed,
change the
Organization field in the file to X-No-Archive, which conveniently has
the same
number of characters. This will require a hex editor to accomplish.
Then open
Outlook Express and under properties for your news account(s) enter
"Yes" for
the Organization. Wa la, automatic and continuous x-no-archive: yes.

--
"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew
he would never be found out." - Thomas McCaulay

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:06:46 AM

Pluvious wrote:

>>|Steam is really the business : a cold, wet afternoon and 5 minutes after
>>|reading this post I'm playing Blue Shift for FREE.
>>|
>>|Nice. And as I play it, I'm not giving myself an ulcer worrying about
>>|whether I can play it in 10 years time. Nicer.
>

> I'm just a little miffed that I can't access this "free" expansion because I
> made the mistake of going to the store and buying my copy of HL2. (?!?)
>
> Thanks Valve for nothing. Way to make your customers happy. At least offer me a
> choice to download it for $5 or something..

it's an expansion for the original Half-Life, nothing to do with HL2 -
people who bought HL2 Silver or Gold automatically got the valve back
catalogue.

if you don't own HL1, you don't qualify for Blue Shift.. the same way
that you don't qualify to be able to play HL1, TFC, CS, Op4, etc etc.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
August 26, 2005 3:06:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:06:46 +0100, Ben Cottrell <bench@bench333.screaming.net>
wrote:

>|Pluvious wrote:

>|>>|
>|>>|

>|> I'm just a little miffed that I can't access this "free" expansion because I
>|> made the mistake of going to the store and buying my copy of HL2. (?!?)
>|>
>|> Thanks Valve for nothing. Way to make your customers happy. At least offer me a
>|> choice to download it for $5 or something..
>|
>|it's an expansion for the original Half-Life, nothing to do with HL2 -
>|people who bought HL2 Silver or Gold automatically got the valve back
>|catalogue.
>|
>|if you don't own HL1, you don't qualify for Blue Shift.. the same way
>|that you don't qualify to be able to play HL1, TFC, CS, Op4, etc etc.

So if I got through the hassle of re-installing my old HL1 disc I might have the
option then?? Currently I don't have HL1 installed, but I did buy it and still
have it somewhere in my pile. (sigh)

Pluvious
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:14:04 AM

Neil wrote:

> Can it be THAT hard to fix the lift bug - with us since day one? Never
> improved or even acknowleged, this bug is a showstopper. You either take
> damage, get stuck in one place, or, occasionally are free to walk away from
> the lift.

Yep, IIRC several valve coders have commented over the years that the
bug is fairly deep seated in the goldsrc engine and couldn't be fixed
without virtually rewriting the whole engine, otherwise it'd have been
corrected years ago.

the most effective workaround is to switch to software mode, since the
glitch only happens when in OpenGL or D3D for some reason.. also
jumping seems to help aswell

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
August 26, 2005 4:41:10 AM

"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:06:46 +0100, Ben Cottrell
> <bench@bench333.screaming.net>
> wrote:
>
> So if I got through the hassle of re-installing my old HL1 disc I might
> have the
> option then?? Currently I don't have HL1 installed, but I did buy it and
> still
> have it somewhere in my pile. (sigh)
>
> Pluvious

You dont have to install it. You just need the CD key to register it.
(Browse games - register a product I already own). You can then d-load HL1,
Blue-Shift and whatever else they decide you can have for free.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 4:41:11 AM

Shawk wrote:

> You dont have to install it. You just need the CD key to register it.
> (Browse games - register a product I already own). You can then
> d-load HL1, Blue-Shift and whatever else they decide you can have for
> free.

That did it.
August 26, 2005 4:41:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:17:53 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>|Shawk wrote:
>|
>|> You dont have to install it. You just need the CD key to register it.
>|> (Browse games - register a product I already own). You can then
>|> d-load HL1, Blue-Shift and whatever else they decide you can have for
>|> free.
>|
>|That did it.

I was about to do this, but when I started STEAM I got this pretty good offer:

Valve Premier Pack:
----------------------------
Team Fortress Classic
Day of Defeat
Half-Life
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Deathmatch Classic
Opposing Force
Ricochet

All for $19.95 +tax.

Not bad.. all downloaded right to my games list.

_steamkiller is looking more and more like a chicken little.

Pluvious
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:59:40 AM

* Neil wrote:
> "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> x-no-archive: yes
>>
>> Shawk wrote:
[snip]

> Oh and the "No archive" thing belongs in you header, not the body of
> the message. You don't look clever and your message *will* be
> archived.

His signature delimiter isn't right either - it should be "-- "
(dash-dash-space). Complying delimiter make it easier for software to
detect and deal with. Not being a net-nazi, just my 2 cents.

--
PiG$$ - Don't get me started on his grammar...
current games : Counter-Strike:Source, Counter-Strike, Far Cry, Doom3

Pluvious wrote:

> I was about to do this, but when I started STEAM I got this pretty good offer:
>
> Valve Premier Pack:
> ----------------------------
> Team Fortress Classic
> Day of Defeat
> Half-Life
> Half-Life: Blue Shift
> Deathmatch Classic
> Opposing Force
> Ricochet
>
> All for $19.95 +tax.
>
> Not bad.. all downloaded right to my games list.

Hmm you could've getten it all just by entering your old HL1 CDKey

> _steamkiller is looking more and more like a chicken little.

Listen to me carefully I will only say this once:
"SK does not know what he is talking about"

- Peter
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 8:36:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 00:41:10 +0100, "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
wrote:
>You dont have to install it. You just need the CD key to register it.
>(Browse games - register a product I already own). You can then d-load HL1,
>Blue-Shift and whatever else they decide you can have for free.

I have the same problem.

I already registered my HL1 CD key when I bought HL2 on CD, so I can't
re-register it (it tell's me I'm already registered), and I can't see
where else I can get Blue Shift via Steam ?

It also won't let me register my Opposing Force key as it claims it's
invalid but I bought OpFor at the same time I bought HL1 on CD, and it
validated OK to play then.
--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/&gt;

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:32:13 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>>"Ready to play in approximately 20 minutes" says my Steam updater. Little
>>bit quicker than ordering it from Amazon/Play/Ebay.
>
>Yup, got mine in about 20 minutes, just had a quick play of it.

Do you guys ever leave your house? What did you eat today besides
home-delivered pizza and coke?

Tried BS (ha ha ha?) quickly yesterday, too bad they didn't include
the hidef model pack. I played the game years ago with better looking
graphics, but it is nice for them who haven't played it before.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 9:24:11 AM

wrote:

>Nice. And as I play it, I'm not giving myself an ulcer worrying about
>whether I can play it in 10 years time. Nicer.

Wait a minute, how come you are playing a years old game on PC? I
thought you hate old games?

I completed HL2 yesterday. Too bad there is no (pay attention now)
_sensible_ way for me to sell it away now, or trade it to some other
PC game. Damn Steam, preventing second-hand PC game market, even
though HL2 cost me around $70 and it has no replay value.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 2:30:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Quoth The Raven: Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> in
m1ksg1dg5b790epn3iosoajrf1csqntbku@4ax.com
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:06:46 +0100, Ben Cottrell
> <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote:

>>> it's an expansion for the original Half-Life, nothing to do with
>>> HL2 - people who bought HL2 Silver or Gold automatically got the
>>> valve back catalogue.
>>>
>>> if you don't own HL1, you don't qualify for Blue Shift.. the same
>>> way that you don't qualify to be able to play HL1, TFC, CS, Op4,
>>> etc etc.
>
> So if I got through the hassle of re-installing my old HL1 disc I
> might have the option then?? Currently I don't have HL1 installed,
> but I did buy it and still have it somewhere in my pile. (sigh)
>
> Pluvious

be warned though, I purchased HL1 gold, but when I attempted to use the
serial to register in steam, I was told that the serial was already used
by someone else. the only way I could reclaim it was to send the
original cd and case back to valve to verify I was the rightful owner
and the thief would be banned. a $10 fee would be charged and I had to
pay for postage.

--
Without geometry, life is pointless.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:52:45 PM

Pluvious wrote:

> Thanks Valve for nothing. Way to make your customers happy. At least offer me a
> choice to download it for $5 or something..
>
> Pluvious

Its nothing to do with HL2.

Its a HL expansion. If you have HL (either originally purchased or from
Vivendi as part of the HL2 silver or gold packages) then you get
Blueshift for free.

--
Walter Mitty
-

Pluvious wrote:

> So if I got through the hassle of re-installing my old HL1 disc I might have the
> option then?? Currently I don't have HL1 installed, but I did buy it and still
> have it somewhere in my pile. (sigh)

Oh no. The strain to get a FREE add on. Yes, installing HL (with CD key)
will allow you the download.
!