SP2 and VIA 4in1 4.31 drivers

G

I noticed that VIA have updated their 4in1 drivers to 4.31.

Does anyone know what this addresses/updates, because i can't find anything at the moment which says i should install it.

Does it include the fixes that SP2 have (making it redundant already)? (Or does it FIX up SP2? If it does, they released it real quick!)

Anyone out their know something? Thanks.

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
go to www.viahardware.com can read up on it there.
but is mainly a patch for the 686B and SBlive problem.
everything else is pretty much the same as far as I can see.
I have both installed on my system and nothing came of it.

G

I don't think the SB problem affects me, so that isn't an issue.
I'm not familiar with the 686b problem. What exactly is that?

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
not totally sure but if i understand it right? seems to be some kinda of a scratching sound coming from the sblive card. u go to the sound card section you will see more on it.
is supposed to affect the 686a as well but i have yet to run into that problem. my problem is i ablew a speaker :) so that accounts for my scratching sounds.

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
here is an example of what the 4.31 is supposed to fix...

Realworldtech has posted another article summarizing their experiences with the 686B southbridge bug. They have tested with and without a SBlive, and with or without VIA's new patch. Here's what they had to say:

With no SBL installed I did not get a single error, either data or system. I ran the test for hours with a number of different variations.
Installed the SBL and system errors would occur very quickly. No data errors were reported, but the system crashed (lockup, Blue Screen with disk errors).
Installed the VIA patch, installed the SBL and retested with Disk Blaster – No errors. So then I tested with Winbench and Winstone – Again no errors.
So it appears that the VIA patch solves the problem. I did wonder if there was a negative side to the patch, so I ran some disk tests (HD Tach and Winbench Disk test) with and without the patch. I found no performance difference at all between the two setups. Without knowing what VIA has ‘patched’ it is hard to tell if there will be any other issues to worry about, but I suspect not.

We have moved the official VIA patch (in a beta stage right now) to our downloads page, under "other drivers."

thats why the 4.31 is out is to fix that problem with the 686B