Dog-fights

OK - not the proper group for this but just played through COD UO again and
(strangely for me) enjoyed the aircraft parts this time around. Thought I
might pick up and try something like IL2 to see if it satisfies a craving
for a good dog-fight. Is this the one to get? Any other recommendations?
I guess I'm going to need to dig out and plug in the old joystick for this?
(I'm guessing WASD wont cut it).

I see I can get IL2 or IL2 Forgotten Battles at Play for £7.99 delivered.
13 answers Last reply
More about fights

    "Shawk" wrote

    > OK - not the proper group for this but just played through COD UO again
    > and (strangely for me) enjoyed the aircraft parts this time around.
    > Thought I might pick up and try something like IL2 to see if it satisfies
    > a craving for a good dog-fight. Is this the one to get? Any other
    > recommendations? I guess I'm going to need to dig out and plug in the old
    > joystick for this? (I'm guessing WASD wont cut it).

    You can IL2 with WASD configuration
    But a joystick may look and feel more natural in this type of games (and
    probably work better)

    > I see I can get IL2 or IL2 Forgotten Battles at Play for £7.99 delivered.

    Yep hang around a little and you get the old classics at a fair price

    - Peter

    "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Thought I might pick up and try something like IL2 to see if it satisfies

    Set aside a week or two. This game is uncompromising - I never quite got the
    hang of it!

    Neil

    "Neil" <noway@hosay.com> wrote in message
    > "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thought I might pick up and try something like IL2 to see if it
    >>> satisfies
    >
    > Set aside a week or two. This game is uncompromising - I never quite got
    > the hang of it!
    >
    > Neil

    hang of it as in controlling the plane? I see Battle of Britain 2 is
    released tomorrow (Friday) - I'll be looking for a review to see whether to
    go for this or IL2 Forgotten Battles. I'm guessing that BOB2 will lean more
    towards sim rather than action which I'm not so interested in (I like to
    shoot stuff not learn how to fly though of course I'll have to go through an
    element of this - I've seen the idiots who cannot fly in action in BF2) but
    I'll wait and see.

    > hang of it as in controlling the plane?

    Yeah, it's pretty.. Um, exacting. :)

    You'll see.. Though I'm pretty rubbish with reams of information, so it
    didn't suit me. I might just dust it off and have another go after these
    posts though.. How hard can it be?

    >How hard can it be?

    I'll let you know next week... :-)

    "Shawk" wrote

    > hang of it as in controlling the plane? I see Battle of Britain 2 is
    > released tomorrow (Friday) - I'll be looking for a review to see whether
    > to go for this or IL2 Forgotten Battles. I'm guessing that BOB2 will lean
    > more towards sim rather than action which I'm not so interested in (I like
    > to shoot stuff not learn how to fly though of course I'll have to go
    > through an element of this - I've seen the idiots who cannot fly in
    > action in BF2) but

    Get both
    I can fly the helicopter in BFV land and even land again (sometimes)
    In BF I am no good - not even close do something usefull - and I prefer to
    stay on the ground using the ground to air weaponary or tanks

    In IL2 I'm an Ace :-)

    - Peter

    > OK - not the proper group for this but just played through COD UO again and
    > (strangely for me) enjoyed the aircraft parts this time around. Thought I
    > might pick up and try something like IL2 to see if it satisfies a craving for
    > a good dog-fight. Is this the one to get?

    Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes!

    Still the best WW2 sim out there by far.

    > Any other recommendations?

    Not really, unless you want to go supertechie and get one of the modern jet
    sims. If so, the recent re-release of Falcon 4.0 would be an excellent buy...
    except that the manual is in PDF form, whereas the original had what was
    probably the largest and best paper manual ever released with a game. I've got
    mine here and it is 23mm thick (I think it's something like 700 pages, but the
    numbering system doesn't make it easy to add them up). Not a good place to
    start though :)

    > I guess I'm going to need to dig out and plug in the old joystick for this?
    > (I'm guessing WASD wont cut it).

    Definitely use a joystick, and make sure it isn't a slack cheapo one. The
    better the joystick, the better you'll fly.

    > I see I can get IL2 or IL2 Forgotten Battles at Play for £7.99 delivered.

    Get IL2 Forgotten Battles. It contains everything that was in IL2 Sturmovik and
    much more. IL2FB isn't an add-on, it's a revamp of the whole game.

    --
    Paul

    > hang of it as in controlling the plane? I see Battle of Britain 2 is released
    > tomorrow (Friday) - I'll be looking for a review to see whether to go for this
    > or IL2 Forgotten Battles. I'm guessing that BOB2 will lean more towards sim
    > rather than action which I'm not so interested in (I like to shoot stuff not
    > learn how to fly though of course I'll have to go through an element of this -
    > I've seen the idiots who cannot fly in action in BF2) but I'll wait and see.

    I don't know much about BoB2, but both are sims. The IL2 series strives for
    realism and accuracy, at least to the extent that it can be achieved on a home
    PC. There is another sim named BoB due out in about a year or so from the
    developers of IL2 - BoB2 isn't that sim.

    I'm afraid that in any worthwhile aircraft sim you will need to learn something
    about how planes fly to get the best from it, otherwise you'll be wondering why
    you keep falling out of the sky in a violent spin for no apparent reason at all
    (and when that inevitably happens, you won't know how to get out of it). Most
    of what you need to know is contained in the manual, though due to the high
    production costs, they've been getting slimmer than the excellent sim manuals of
    old (European Air War had a very good manual for learning the basics of flying
    and dogfighting, for instance).

    Don't worry, learning how aeroplanes stay in the air and how to achieve victory
    in aerial combat is fascinating stuff. The joy of sims is in improving your
    skill, rather than completing levels or amassing kill tallies. Just surviving
    is a thrill in most missions, any kills being a bonus :)

    The air warfare in BF2 is, I'm afraid, merely a WASD action game and doesn't in
    any way represent what you'll find in a sim like IL2. You *will* have to learn
    a little about flying. There are extensive options to lower the realism to an
    easy level, though, and as you gain confidence, you can re-enable the realism
    features one by one.

    Despite the procedures of flight being simplified in IL2 compared to something
    like MS Flight Simulator, I think IL2 is the sim that comes closest to the feel
    of flying an actual aeroplane on a PC (MSFS doesn't feel anything like flying an
    aeroplane, no matter how many gauges it has).

    IL2FB is cheap, so buy it and see if you enjoy it. If you need help with the
    basics, ask me :) (I'm still around, lurking)

    --
    Paul

    "Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    (loadsa good info snipped for brevity)

    Thanks for that Paul. Yeah I know I'm going to have to learn about flying
    and I dont mind that if there are actual missions to complete (i.e. a
    point). What has always put me off this type of game is a friend who plays
    the flight sims (they maybe the MS one's) where he seems to be happy sitting
    there for hours 'flying' across an ocean....... Huh? Why? Not for me.
    (OK - maybe I exaggerate a little - it just 'seems' like bloody hours).

    Appreciate the offer of help too. Just ordered Forgotten Battles from
    Play.com. You may hear me shouting for help next weekend (working in bonny
    Scotland next week and I guess I need to wait until I have some time to
    spend on this).

    Cheers.

    > "Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > (loadsa good info snipped for brevity)
    >
    > Thanks for that Paul. Yeah I know I'm going to have to learn about flying
    > and I dont mind that if there are actual missions to complete (i.e. a
    > point). What has always put me off this type of game is a friend who
    > plays the flight sims (they maybe the MS one's) where he seems to be happy
    > sitting there for hours 'flying' across an ocean....... Huh? Why? Not
    > for me. (OK - maybe I exaggerate a little - it just 'seems' like bloody
    > hours).
    >
    > Appreciate the offer of help too. Just ordered Forgotten Battles from
    > Play.com. You may hear me shouting for help next weekend (working in
    > bonny Scotland next week and I guess I need to wait until I have some time
    > to spend on this).
    >
    > Cheers.

    Any comments on this joystick? Dont want to spend a fortune in case I get
    airsickness. Decent starter model for the price?

    http://tinyurl.com/bbj6r

    Ta.

    > TBH I didn't want to be put off sims *by* the old joystick :-)

    Very sensible :)

    > doesn't have rudder control though but there are probably enough damn buttons
    > there to keep me guessing (and crashing) for weeks.

    I think you can enable coordinated rudder as an option, so you won't have to
    worry about it. Keyboard-operated rudder can be rather rubbish in sims.

    > (I really dont like PC World but at least you can grab the things on the shelf
    > and try their movement out).

    Yes, probably the only thing PC World are good for :) (I bought my Logitech
    there too, but not my current Saitek)

    --
    Paul

    "Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> I see Battle of Britain 2 is released tomorrow (Friday) - I'll be looking for
    >> a review to see whether to go for this or IL2 Forgotten Battles. I'm
    >> guessing that BOB2 will lean more towards sim rather than action which I'm
    >> not so interested in...
    >
    > I don't know much about BoB2, but both are sims.

    Hey, I've done a little looking into BoB2 today, and it doesn't look half bad.
    I might get it, as I'm a bit of a completist with sims :) £17.99 at both
    Play.com and Amazon, which is darned reasonable. I'll wait to see what the
    SimHQ crowd thinks first, though.

    I would still go for IL2FB, since it's less than half the price and it's
    pointless wasting more money if it turns out you don't like sims. If you find
    that you do, you can buy BoB2 and compare & contrast :)

    --

    > "Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I see Battle of Britain 2 is released tomorrow (Friday) - I'll be
    >>> looking for a review to see whether to go for this or IL2 Forgotten
    >>> Battles. I'm guessing that BOB2 will lean more towards sim rather than
    >>> action which I'm not so interested in...
    >>
    >> I don't know much about BoB2, but both are sims.
    >
    > Hey, I've done a little looking into BoB2 today, and it doesn't look half
    > bad. I might get it, as I'm a bit of a completist with sims :) £17.99 at
    > both Play.com and Amazon, which is darned reasonable. I'll wait to see
    > what the SimHQ crowd thinks first, though.
    >
    > I would still go for IL2FB, since it's less than half the price and it's
    > pointless wasting more money if it turns out you don't like sims. If you
    > find that you do, you can buy BoB2 and compare & contrast :)
    >
    > --
    > Paul

    BOB2 did look good. Ordered IL2FB yesterday from Play.com and got an e-mail
    saying it had been posted out today. 'May' get it tomorrow but if not then
    I guess it will be Tuesday. Never mind, still playing through a number of
    others...

Call of Duty Games Video Games