WindowsXPVPN

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hi newsgroup!

I am trying to create a new VPN connection from my PC(WinXP/Pro).
Entering the "New Connection Wizard", I select "Connect to the network
at my workplace", I arrive in the menue where is asked "How do you want
to connect to the network at your workplace?", and no one of the offered
connection types("Dial-up connection" and "Virtual Private Network
connection") are selectable, both are disabled ("grey"). I am logged in
as admin. My previous VPN-connections I set up disappeared, too.

What is going on, where is the problem!?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

quoted from http://www.ChicagoTech.net
Connect using a dial-up modem or VPN option in the New Connection Wizard is
unavailable (gray out)
SYMPTOMS:
1) After installed SP1 for XP and then use the System Restore feature to
restore Windows to a state before the installation of the service pack.
2) After upgraded your computer to XP Pro from Win98, ME and XP Home. You
may experience the following symptoms: a) The Connect using a dial-up modem
or VPN option in the New Connection Wizard is unavailable (gray out). b) The
Network Connections folder is empty. c) ICS and ICF services do not start
because of a dependency failure. d) In the Event Viewer, you may get Event
ID: 7023, Event ID: 20035 or error 5 with Access is denied, Remote Access
Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers or
Could not start the Remote Access Connection Manager service on Local
Computer.
Resolution: 1) To resolve this problem, reinstall SP1 for Windows XP. 2)
Delete the NextID value
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\Cards\NextID,
and then restart the computer. 3) Delete the Telephony key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony.

--
For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Bob wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:20:52 +0200, Peter Neumaier
> <zelja1@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I am trying to create a new VPN connection from my PC(WinXP/Pro).
>>Entering the "New Connection Wizard", I select "Connect to the network
>>at my workplace", I arrive in the menue where is asked "How do you want
>>to connect to the network at your workplace?", and no one of the offered
>> connection types("Dial-up connection" and "Virtual Private Network
>>connection") are selectable, both are disabled ("grey"). I am logged in
>>as admin. My previous VPN-connections I set up disappeared, too.
>

>>What is going on, where is the problem!?
>

> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

Bob, thank you very much for answering.
I can't proceed with Step 5 on
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
because the two options(as already mentioned in my first posting):
"Dial-up connection" and "Virtual Private Network connection" are not
available, they are disabled ("grey").

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:11:33 +0200, Peter Neumaier
<plsnoSpam@nospam.net> wrote:

>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

>Bob, thank you very much for answering.
>I can't proceed with Step 5 on
>http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
>because the two options(as already mentioned in my first posting):
>"Dial-up connection" and "Virtual Private Network connection" are not
>available, they are disabled ("grey").

Obviously something is wrong with your setup. Do you have your local
area network in operation?

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:24:05 -0500, "Robert L [MS-MVP]"
<noreply@hotmail.com> wrote:

>quoted from http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>Connect using a dial-up modem or VPN option in the New Connection Wizard is
>unavailable (gray out)
>SYMPTOMS:
>1) After installed SP1 for XP and then use the System Restore feature to
>restore Windows to a state before the installation of the service pack.
>2) After upgraded your computer to XP Pro from Win98, ME and XP Home. You
>may experience the following symptoms: a) The Connect using a dial-up modem
>or VPN option in the New Connection Wizard is unavailable (gray out). b) The
>Network Connections folder is empty. c) ICS and ICF services do not start
>because of a dependency failure. d) In the Event Viewer, you may get Event
>ID: 7023, Event ID: 20035 or error 5 with Access is denied, Remote Access
>Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers or
>Could not start the Remote Access Connection Manager service on Local
>Computer.
>Resolution: 1) To resolve this problem, reinstall SP1 for Windows XP. 2)
>Delete the NextID value
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\Cards\NextID,
>and then restart the computer. 3) Delete the Telephony key
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony.
>
>--

Good Grief!

Now you know why we use Win2K.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Excellent VRWC Map!! I had to save a copy of it.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

"Bob" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:24:05 -0500, "Robert L [MS-MVP]"
> <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >quoted from http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >Connect using a dial-up modem or VPN option in the New Connection Wizard
is
> >unavailable (gray out)
> >SYMPTOMS:
> >1) After installed SP1 for XP and then use the System Restore feature to
> >restore Windows to a state before the installation of the service pack.
> >2) After upgraded your computer to XP Pro from Win98, ME and XP Home. You
> >may experience the following symptoms: a) The Connect using a dial-up
modem
> >or VPN option in the New Connection Wizard is unavailable (gray out). b)
The
> >Network Connections folder is empty. c) ICS and ICF services do not start
> >because of a dependency failure. d) In the Event Viewer, you may get
Event
> >ID: 7023, Event ID: 20035 or error 5 with Access is denied, Remote Access
> >Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers or
> >Could not start the Remote Access Connection Manager service on Local
> >Computer.
> >Resolution: 1) To resolve this problem, reinstall SP1 for Windows XP. 2)
> >Delete the NextID value
>
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\Cards
\NextID,
> >and then restart the computer. 3) Delete the Telephony key
> >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony.
> >
> >--
>
> Good Grief!
>
> Now you know why we use Win2K.
>

> --
>
> Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
> http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/
>
> "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
> --David Crockett

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:20:37 -0500, "Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote:

>Excellent VRWC Map!! I had to save a copy of it.

It's going to be all red after November.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I hope,...but I'm not confident.

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:20:37 -0500, "Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote:
>
> >Excellent VRWC Map!! I had to save a copy of it.
>
> It's going to be all red after November.
>

> --
>
> Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
> http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/
>
> "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
> --David Crockett

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:02:24 -0500, "Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote:

>> >Excellent VRWC Map!! I had to save a copy of it.

>> It's going to be all red after November.

>I hope,...but I'm not confident.

Be confident. People are fed up with commies running the country.

--

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:03:51 GMT, spam@spam.com (Bob) wrote:

>>> It's going to be all red after November.
>
>>I hope,...but I'm not confident.
>
>Be confident. People are fed up with commies running the country.

Just look at what happened in California.

California is the bellwether state.

--

Robert L [MS-MVP] wrote:
> quoted from http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> Connect using a dial-up modem or VPN option in the New Connection Wizard is
> unavailable (gray out)
> SYMPTOMS:
> 1) After installed SP1 for XP and then use the System Restore feature to
> restore Windows to a state before the installation of the service pack.
> 2) After upgraded your computer to XP Pro from Win98, ME and XP Home. You
> may experience the following symptoms: a) The Connect using a dial-up modem
> or VPN option in the New Connection Wizard is unavailable (gray out). b) The
> Network Connections folder is empty. c) ICS and ICF services do not start
> because of a dependency failure. d) In the Event Viewer, you may get Event
> ID: 7023, Event ID: 20035 or error 5 with Access is denied, Remote Access
> Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers or
> Could not start the Remote Access Connection Manager service on Local
> Computer.
> Resolution: 1) To resolve this problem, reinstall SP1 for Windows XP. 2)
> Delete the NextID value
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\Cards\NextID,
> and then restart the computer. 3) Delete the Telephony key
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony.

Hi NG!

Finally I recovered my VPN clients, I succedded in it with reinstalling
SP 1 for WinXP/Pro. Thx a lot to all helping me!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I know this is a little late, but in case anyone wants to know. I solved the
same problem on my machine by just entering my area code in the dial up
access screen. When it asks for dial up access account just enter your area
code and continue on. After that the other networking options will become
available. All I can say is that it worked for me.
Nothing else I tried worked.
I found this solution on the net. Hope this helps someone else too.

"Peter Neumaier" <zelja1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi newsgroup!
>
> I am trying to create a new VPN connection from my PC(WinXP/Pro).
> Entering the "New Connection Wizard", I select "Connect to the network
> at my workplace", I arrive in the menue where is asked "How do you want
> to connect to the network at your workplace?", and no one of the offered
> connection types("Dial-up connection" and "Virtual Private Network
> connection") are selectable, both are disabled ("grey"). I am logged in
> as admin. My previous VPN-connections I set up disappeared, too.
>
> What is going on, where is the problem!?

TRENDING THREADS