Recording from Tivo to DVD recorder

I have Tivo and currently record TV shows to Video Tape.
I want to record direct to a DVD disc.
Currently I play the show from Tivo, and edit out the commercials
while I view the show.
If I used a DVD recorder, instead of a VCR, could I use a "pause
recording" feature on a DVD recorder, like I would on the VCR, to do
the recording? Is there such a feature on DVD recorders?
This would allow me to bypass editing the DVD in something like Studio
8 to get a commercial free recording.
Or is there a better way to do this?

In article <b1d1cc96.0408161010.1b5f6019@posting.google.com>, abell907
@charter.net says...
> Subject: Recording from Tivo to DVD recorder
> From: abell907@charter.net (Key Bell)
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> I have Tivo and currently record TV shows to Video Tape.
> I want to record direct to a DVD disc.
> Currently I play the show from Tivo, and edit out the commercials
> while I view the show.
> If I used a DVD recorder, instead of a VCR, could I use a "pause
> recording" feature on a DVD recorder, like I would on the VCR, to do
> the recording? Is there such a feature on DVD recorders?
> This would allow me to bypass editing the DVD in something like Studio
> 8 to get a commercial free recording.
> Or is there a better way to do this?

I don't know anything about stand alone DVD recorders, but if you did
this with a PC you could capture the entire show unattended with a video
capture card and then come back and edit the comercials with an Mpeg
editing tool which sohuld only take a few minues and then burn a DVD. It
is really too bad you can't simnply access the mpegs on the Tivo hard
drive, it would be a one step, no loss process then.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Key Bell said:

>>could I use a "pause
recording" feature on a DVD recorder, like I would on the VCR, to do
the recording? Is there such a feature on DVD recorders?>>

You can with my Philips, I would imagine they all work pretty much like a VCR.

<< Or is there a better way to do this? >>

Well if you use RW disks, you can go back later and delete sections.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

"DavesVideo" <davesvideo@aol.com> wrote in message
> Key Bell said:
>
> >>could I use a "pause
> recording" feature on a DVD recorder, like I would on the VCR, to do
> the recording? Is there such a feature on DVD recorders?>>
>
> You can with my Philips, I would imagine they all work pretty much like a
VCR.

> << Or is there a better way to do this? >>
>
> Well if you use RW disks, you can go back later and delete sections.

I'm not sure this is correct. I think the only way to actually remove
information from an RW disc is to erase the whole thing and start over. You
can record to an RW, or an R for that matter, and then go back and trim the
video, but you are really just moving the start and end points of the clip.
The whole clip is actually still on the disc. Once the disc has been closed,
you can not alter it though, except to erase it in the case of a DVD RW.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/ is your best bet

If you;ve got a series 1 Tivo, you can install an ethernet card (series 2
has them). Pulling streams directly off the box WAS possible for a time, I
think TIVO started encrypting files. DirectTV units store all files as
Mpeg2, which can be burned straight to DVD. If you can't pull data off box
direcly, I would try encoding it through a PC and editing on your PC. To be
honest you will see degradation, depending on which mode you recorded the
material in. Technically speaking, by the time you get the video back on a
DVD, you will be using 3rd generation video...although digital, it will
still have been uncompressed/recompressed several times....

Good Luck!
Vincent