RDC and IP Addresses... what does it see?

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

HI,
Setting up RDC from XP Pro to Pro...
Want to limit the IP address allowed thru the PORT and would
like to know HOW RDC 'sees' addresses.
Specifically when the remote user access the client/host thru a
modem/router (DSL), does it see the 'private' LAN address as accessing
RDC or does it RECOGNIZE the "remote" IP address ?
Knowing this will allow me to narrow the subnet to ONLY that user
and help increase security (or so I think, but heck what do I know)...
I will set this rule in ZoneAlarm Pro... if I know how RDC sees the
incoming addresses. Thanks very much.
--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto: pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net

The connection is really from the public IP of the client computer's
connection, AFAIK.

Doc wrote:
> HI,
> Setting up RDC from XP Pro to Pro...
> Want to limit the IP address allowed thru the PORT and would
> like to know HOW RDC 'sees' addresses.
> Specifically when the remote user access the client/host thru a
> modem/router (DSL), does it see the 'private' LAN address as accessing
> RDC or does it RECOGNIZE the "remote" IP address ?
> Knowing this will allow me to narrow the subnet to ONLY that user
> and help increase security (or so I think, but heck what do I know)...
> I will set this rule in ZoneAlarm Pro... if I know how RDC sees the
> incoming addresses. Thanks very much.

It will see the public IP address of the gateway machine or router at the
client end, not the private IP addresses.

"Doc" <pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> HI,
> Setting up RDC from XP Pro to Pro...
> Want to limit the IP address allowed thru the PORT and would
> like to know HOW RDC 'sees' addresses.
> Specifically when the remote user access the client/host thru a
> modem/router (DSL), does it see the 'private' LAN address as accessing
> RDC or does it RECOGNIZE the "remote" IP address ?
> Knowing this will allow me to narrow the subnet to ONLY that user
> and help increase security (or so I think, but heck what do I know)...
> I will set this rule in ZoneAlarm Pro... if I know how RDC sees the
> incoming addresses. Thanks very much.
> --
> Rich "Doc" Colley
>
> mailto: pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Thanks Bill... guess I'll be limited in excluding 'outside' IP
addresses in a rule as the IP "seen" is (then) basically on my
side of the fence. Oh well...