What is TIVO exactly?

"Tony" <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:aXCUc.14589$N77.606854@news.xtra.co.nz...
> Hardware-wise?

Motherboard, processor, memory, hard drive, mpeg-2 encoder and tv-out card.

A few screws, PSU and a case.

:)

Simon

Al

"Simon Walters" <trysiwalters@theoppositeofcoolmail.com> wrote in message

> "Tony" <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> > Hardware-wise?
>
> Motherboard, processor, memory, hard drive, mpeg-2 encoder and tv-out
card.

> A few screws, PSU and a case.

The processor is a Motorola and quite slow by today's standards.

I think it is basically a Linux computer with some video stuff added on,
and some proprietary software.

David

Everyone gave a great explanation of what a DVR, and Tivo is a DVR.
BUT...it's far more..

TiVo is the brand name for the software running on top of the linux box.
Software that is unmatched by ANY current DVRs on the market. The ease of
use, interface design, and features that come with that software package
have helped to make TiVo the defacto best in class product it is...and
summarily a generic reference for any DVR. Obviously no one that responded
owns one. I've had a TiVo for several years, and have upgraded (180
hours)...it's one of the most solid pieces of gear I own. The hardware IS
simple, but a TiVo is SOOOO much more!!

Vincent

In article <cg5b1b$nrq$1@lumberjack.rand.org>, yoyo@yoyo.com says...
> Subject: Re: What is TIVO exactly?
> From: "Vincent Williams" <yoyo@yoyo.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> Everyone gave a great explanation of what a DVR, and Tivo is a DVR.
> BUT...it's far more..
>
> TiVo is the brand name for the software running on top of the linux box.
> Software that is unmatched by ANY current DVRs on the market. The ease of
> use, interface design, and features that come with that software package
> have helped to make TiVo the defacto best in class product it is...and
> summarily a generic reference for any DVR. Obviously no one that responded
> owns one. I've had a TiVo for several years, and have upgraded (180
> hours)...it's one of the most solid pieces of gear I own. The hardware IS
> simple, but a TiVo is SOOOO much more!!
>
> Vincent
>

> "david.mccall" <david.mccallUNDERLINE@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > I think it is basically a Linux computer with some video stuff added on,
> > and some proprietary software.
> >
> > David

David basically said what you said but with less flair. The problem
with Tivo is not the interface or the quality of the picture, it's that
you have to pay for the service and you can't save and edit what you
record on your pc. That's not a problem for people who don't have any
interest in that of course but I got into PVRs originally so that could
record all the WRC events and make DVDs instead of waiting 2+ years for
the FIA/WRC to authorize and make one.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

"Vincent Williams" <yoyo@yoyo.com> wrote in message

<snip> Obviously no one that responded
> owns one. I've had a TiVo for several years, and have upgraded (180
> hours)...it's one of the most solid pieces of gear I own. The hardware IS
> simple, but a TiVo is SOOOO much more!!

We owned one for a couple years, but now we own 3 and have them
networked together with the home media option. They are very nice, but
the PVR implementation that Kieth and others have been talking about
sounds like it is much more versatile.

If people want to build up PVRs in this manner, and their families are
able cope with it, then go for it. Sometimes plug it in and use it is better
for the health and sanity of the family though.

David

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:46:08 +1200, "Tony" <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>Hardware-wise?

Depends which version/type.

There are two versions, Series 1 and Series 2. There are two basic
types (right now), Standalone (which have an A/V input and NTSC analog
cable/antenna tuner), and DirecTV Tivo, which has two DirecTV tuners
that essentially write the DirecTV digital video stream directly to
the HDD.

S1s use a 54 MHz PPC CPU, an MPEG encoder, an MPEG decoder, and a
mediaswitch ASIC (which is really the heart of the Tivo), that streams
video data from the encoder to the HDD, and from the HDD to the video
decoder.

S2s use a 233 MHz MIPS processoer but are otherwise not unlike S1s.
I believe newer S2s may use a combo mediaswitch/MPEG decoder chip.

DirecTivos don't have an MPEG encoder, they record the MPEG2
transmitted on satellite.. The tuner in them provides the TS from a
tuned transponder to a satellite receiver chip, which parses out the
packets for the tuned channel, and required system and conditional
access packets, performs authorisation on the channel, and formate the
A/V packets into a format that the Tivo poertion of the system can
use.

> "Vincent Williams" <yoyo@yoyo.com> wrote in message
>>
> <snip> Obviously no one that responded
>> owns one. I've had a TiVo for several years, and have upgraded (180
>> hours)...it's one of the most solid pieces of gear I own. The hardware
>> IS
>> simple, but a TiVo is SOOOO much more!!
>>
> We owned one for a couple years, but now we own 3 and have them
> networked together with the home media option. They are very nice, but
> the PVR implementation that Kieth and others have been talking about
> sounds like it is much more versatile.
>
> If people want to build up PVRs in this manner, and their families are
> able cope with it, then go for it. Sometimes plug it in and use it is
> better
> for the health and sanity of the family though.
>
> David

I've owned 2 Replay's networked together years ago, they were great and my
friend has a tivo, so I've seen the great interface you mentioned. But I
really love my Time Warner Dual Tuner DVR, it's so simple to use cause the
interface is integrated in your normal cable box lineup already, just find
the show in your guide and hit the red (record) button and your done.
Of course you can go into more features, like setting up a re-occurring
recording (season pass) schedule, only recording first-run, specific nights
or channels only, etc... Just as much power except a lot less conflicts with
the dual tuners than my replay's every had. Add to that I watch most HBO and
Showtime shows directly from their ON-Demand (available anytime) channels,
that leaves me more free space to only record what isn't available
on-demand, so even less conflicts and more tv to watch! I love the digital
cable combination and it's only a few bucks more a month to rent, I am not
married to it forever. :)
When an HD Version or 3 tuner version or whatever new comes out, I'll just
trade it in for the next best thing.
It's an option few people talk about, and I think that's the best gadget I
own at the moment, right about my iPod!
:)
AnthonyR.