MiniDV Recording to disk without a tape

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

As part of a research project, I need to record about an 8-hour span of time
in dim lighting (sleep study).

I was wondering if it is possible to record live video from a MiniDV camera
via firewire directly onto a hard drive without using a tape in the MiniDV
camcorder? (Maybe using Windows Media Encoder?)

Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks in advance!

"John" <me@nospam.com> wrote ...
> As part of a research project, I need to record about an 8-hour span of
time
> in dim lighting (sleep study).
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to record live video from a MiniDV
camera
> via firewire directly onto a hard drive without using a tape in the MiniDV
> camcorder? (Maybe using Windows Media Encoder?)
>
> Has anyone done anything like this?

Almost certainly people have done this.
Certainly there is no difference recording a DV stream via
1394 (Firewire/iLink) from a live camera vs. playback from
tape. DV is DV and the computer neither knows nor cares
whether it is live or on tape (sorry Memorex! :)

Your issue appears to be finding an application that allows
you to record such a long length of time, presumably unattended.

I don't see what might be a problem here.
Many camcorders stay in record mode forever if there is no tape inside. This
provides for continuous
video stream out of their firewire jack. You're quite likely to find this
feature in those middle-range camcorders that allow filming in low light
conditions.

Talking about video capture I'd surprised to hear that any software would
limit the length of captured video. From personal experience I'd say that to
record an 8-hour footage you won't need a HD larger than 1TB.

If one day you'd think about hosting it on the WEB then please let us know.
I am sure we can negotiate a reasonable rate.

--
Regards, Aharon.

VIDEO: http://www.videoclassified.com/pres1/
E-Mail: advertiser@videoclassified.com
Phone: 416-418-5127
WEB: http://www.videoclassified.com/

"John" <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
> As part of a research project, I need to record about an 8-hour span of
time
> in dim lighting (sleep study).
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to record live video from a MiniDV
camera
> via firewire directly onto a hard drive without using a tape in the MiniDV
> camcorder? (Maybe using Windows Media Encoder?)
>
> Has anyone done anything like this?
>

> Thanks in advance!

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 07:10:49 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>Your issue appears to be finding an application that allows
>you to record such a long length of time, presumably unattended.

http://windv.mourek.cz/

with

http://www.freebyte.com/fbtaskscheduler/

and 13gb per hour storage.

Rich M.

<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>Your issue appears to be finding an application that allows
>you to record such a long length of time, presumably unattended.

http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html
should also work, but not free. You have a lot more flexibility with
this solution. I've used it to record broadcasts through an ADVC-100.

Rich M.

Advertiser wrote:
> I don't see what might be a problem here.
> Many camcorders stay in record mode forever if there is no tape
> inside. This provides for continuous
> video stream out of their firewire jack. You're quite likely to find
> this feature in those middle-range camcorders that allow filming in
> low light conditions.
>
> Talking about video capture I'd surprised to hear that any software
> would limit the length of captured video. From personal experience
> I'd say that to record an 8-hour footage you won't need a HD larger
> than 1TB.

Just to point out:
This would only be true if one were to record in high resolution. Capture
applications often indicate that you might have several days space on HD if
using VCR resulution for example or many other low res settings.

> If one day you'd think about hosting it on the WEB then please let us
> know. I am sure we can negotiate a reasonable rate.

"John" <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
> As part of a research project, I need to record about an 8-hour span of
time
> in dim lighting (sleep study).
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to record live video from a MiniDV
camera
> via firewire directly onto a hard drive without using a tape in the MiniDV
> camcorder? (Maybe using Windows Media Encoder?)
>
> Has anyone done anything like this?

I've recorded direct-to-disk using Scenealyzer Live. However, miniDV
requires approximately 13 gigabytes per hour of video -- your 8 hour project
will require at least 104 gigabytes of storage, not counting space for the
operating system and capture software.

"Advertiser" <advertiser@VideoClassified.com> wrote in message
> I don't see what might be a problem here.
> Many camcorders stay in record mode forever if there is no tape inside.
This
> provides for continuous
> video stream out of their firewire jack. You're quite likely to find this
> feature in those middle-range camcorders that allow filming in low light
> conditions.

Any camcorder, low, high or midrange, will stay in record as long as there
is no tape inserted. The problem is storage capacity -- miniDV requires 13
gigabytes per hour, and I'm not aware of a lot of laptops with 120 gigabyte
hard drives.

> Talking about video capture I'd surprised to hear that any software would
> limit the length of captured video.

That's also wrong. It depends on the operating system. Windows 2000 sp2 or
WinXP (pro or home) can record files of unlimited size under NTFS.

> From personal experience I'd say that to
> record an 8-hour footage you won't need a HD larger than 1TB.

104 gigabytes are needed to store 8 hours of DV25 format video -- hardly a
terabyte.

> If one day you'd think about hosting it on the WEB then please let us
know.
> I am sure we can negotiate a reasonable rate.
>
> --
> Regards, Aharon.
>
> VIDEO: http://www.videoclassified.com/pres1/
> E-Mail: advertiser@videoclassified.com
> Phone: 416-418-5127
> WEB: http://www.videoclassified.com/
>
> "John" <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > As part of a research project, I need to record about an 8-hour span of
> time
> > in dim lighting (sleep study).
> >
> > I was wondering if it is possible to record live video from a MiniDV
> camera
> > via firewire directly onto a hard drive without using a tape in the
MiniDV
> > camcorder? (Maybe using Windows Media Encoder?)
> >
> > Has anyone done anything like this?
> >

> > Thanks in advance!

AnthonyR

I wonder if he couldn't use some software that would only record a certain
amount of frames at a time?
like time lapse photography mode, you know where just a few frames are
removed each second so it's not really noticeable yet he would save a lot of
storage space.
Like the security vcr's do. There must be software made for security cameras
that capture like this.

AnthonyR.