Use Hauppauge PVR-250 to Encode Files on Hard Drive

Al

I have a Hauppauge PVR-250BTV MPEG-2 encoder board. It's very handy for
encoding home movies straight to MPEG-2. Much simpler and quicker than
going to to the hard drive first and then re-encoding using TMPGenc, as long
as you don't want to edit much. I have used a trial version of Womble
simply to cut off the end of the MPEG-2 file with decent results. I need to
do this since I typically let the timed recording run a little longer than
the length of the video so I don't have to babysit. Then, if necessary, I
use DVD Shrink 3.2 to reduce the size of the project to fit on one disk.

Anyway, my question is this: Can I use the hardware encoding capabilities
of the PVR-250 to process video files already on my hard drive? If not, do
people think this is a decent idea for some enterprising programmer to
develop?

This box is the TiVo replacement I recently built that I mentioned a week or
two back in this newsgroup. I still don't use it for TV watching, much
prefering my two TiVo's, but it is a handy little video workhorse with the
MPEG-2 encoder board, IEEE 1394 input, and big hard drives. Now I can let
it run while I use my main computer for other tasks like writing this post.

In the next couple of days, I'll post exactly what I built, what it cost,
and where I got the parts. I have to thank Keith Clark for the basic design
of the box.

"Al" <No@Email.com> wrote in message news:<412349bc$0$21764$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>...
> Anyway, my question is this: Can I use the hardware encoding capabilities
> of the PVR-250 to process video files already on my hard drive?

Does anyone have an answer for this? If I want to build an MPEG2 video
from scratch (programatically, not coming in via any external input)
is there an API which Hauppauge has released which exposes the
hardware MPEG2 encoding functionality?

Ben White wrote:

> "Al" <No@Email.com> wrote in message news:<412349bc$0$21764$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>...
> > Anyway, my question is this: Can I use the hardware encoding capabilities
> > of the PVR-250 to process video files already on my hard drive?
>
> Does anyone have an answer for this? If I want to build an MPEG2 video
> from scratch (programatically, not coming in via any external input)
> is there an API which Hauppauge has released which exposes the
> hardware MPEG2 encoding functionality?

I don't think it's that simple. I hope I'm wrong...

But I would think that designing the hardware to work in that way would have increased
the cost significantly.

Rather, what I think they did was pipe the analog video from the tuner into the encoding
chip directly.

That said, in theory if you can get the file to play to an S-video TV-out jack, you
should be able to pipe that analog signal into the PVR-250. Not an ideal solution,
agreed.