Help with Purchasing New Digital Camera

Mei

For the LOVE of GOD there are a lot of choices! TOO MANY for the likes of
me. Ideally I would like something in a very small package with decent
optical zoom (3 or more?). I can spend up to $400 if it's the right fit,
would prefer to spend in the $200-$300 range.. The stylus verve by Olympus
looks pretty cool, also checking out the elph (so many models) and Powershot
S500. I am really looking for some help here.. Again size is a big factor,
something I can easily fit in my pocket and carry on the slopes with me or
out to nightclubs, etc..
Many Thanks in advance..

I have been looking at the Pentax Optio SV.

http://www.shopzilla.com/nc/12--Pentax_Optio_SV_Digital_Camera_-_cat_id--402__prod_id--151697310__sort--6

Into the nearly $400 range, but looks good with 5x optical zoom and 5 MP.

Kirk

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:40:51 -0800, "MEI" <MEI@MEI.COM> wrote:

>For the LOVE of GOD there are a lot of choices! TOO MANY for the likes of
>me. Ideally I would like something in a very small package with decent
>optical zoom (3 or more?). I can spend up to $400 if it's the right fit,
>would prefer to spend in the $200-$300 range.. The stylus verve by Olympus
>looks pretty cool, also checking out the elph (so many models) and Powershot
>S500.

The Pentax the other guy posted is probably a much better camera but
people say the Verve is decent.

Theres a thread at another site - they say its being replaced with a
new model very soon. Compusa had a blue for $249 -50 rebate = 199.
I suppose you can still get the other models at Compusa for 300 -50
rebate = 250. It got a good review at some review sites. I think it
looks kind of weird but thats me. It doesnt have an optical
viewfinder someone pointed out and I think it only had 2x optical
zoom.

MEI wrote:

> For the LOVE of GOD there are a lot of choices! TOO MANY for the likes of
> me. Ideally I would like something in a very small package with decent
> optical zoom (3 or more?). I can spend up to $400 if it's the right fit,
> would prefer to spend in the $200-$300 range.. The stylus verve by Olympus
> looks pretty cool, also checking out the elph (so many models) and
> Powershot S500. I am really looking for some help here.. Again size is a
> big factor, something I can easily fit in my pocket and carry on the
> slopes with me or out to nightclubs, etc..
> Many Thanks in advance..

I think the Sony DSC-P150 might be something for you. In any circumstance,
check out dpreview.com - they have very, very good reviews of tons of
cameras. The Sony I mention is in the "highly recommended" group, it's
small, fast (which is apparently more important than you'd think, if you
ask experienced photographers), and takes pretty damn good pictures. On
dpreview, you don't just get a review, there are also a lot of pictures
taken by the cameras in review - even the 2-4 MB original JPEGs, straight
from the camera. An incredibly useful site. Watch out though, you might
just fall in love with something a lot more expensive, like the EOS 300D or
a D70 ;)

--
"I marry Calculon, divorce him, take half his money, and turn back into a
guy - it's sort of a two-person pyramid scheme." --Bender

If I were you, I'd go with a Canon Powershot. It is the best for the money
IMO and I'm not just beaking-off here, I just spent I don't know how many
hours researching all the factors --- I'm laying down the cash for my own
Powershot next week. Like these other guys say, though, the website to use
is dpreview.com for sure because it has all the information you could
possibly want to make a decision like this. Good luck !!

"MEI" <MEI@MEI.COM> wrote in message
> For the LOVE of GOD there are a lot of choices! TOO MANY for the likes of
> me. Ideally I would like something in a very small package with decent
> optical zoom (3 or more?). I can spend up to $400 if it's the right fit,
> would prefer to spend in the $200-$300 range.. The stylus verve by Olympus
> looks pretty cool, also checking out the elph (so many models) and
> Powershot S500. I am really looking for some help here.. Again size is a
> big factor, something I can easily fit in my pocket and carry on the
> slopes with me or out to nightclubs, etc..
> Many Thanks in advance..

bojangles

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005

Canon sd300 or sony p100

"Sofa-King, we tarred it!" <stewpped@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If I were you, I'd go with a Canon Powershot. It is the best for the
money
> IMO and I'm not just beaking-off here, I just spent I don't know how many
> hours researching all the factors --- I'm laying down the cash for my own
> Powershot next week. Like these other guys say, though, the website to
use
> is dpreview.com for sure because it has all the information you could
> possibly want to make a decision like this. Good luck !!
>

> "MEI" <MEI@MEI.COM> wrote in message
> > For the LOVE of GOD there are a lot of choices! TOO MANY for the likes
of
> > me. Ideally I would like something in a very small package with decent
> > optical zoom (3 or more?). I can spend up to $400 if it's the right fit,
> > would prefer to spend in the $200-$300 range.. The stylus verve by
Olympus
> > looks pretty cool, also checking out the elph (so many models) and
> > Powershot S500. I am really looking for some help here.. Again size is a
> > big factor, something I can easily fit in my pocket and carry on the
> > slopes with me or out to nightclubs, etc..
> > Many Thanks in advance..

I sure like my sony p100, slips nicley into your shirt pocket, takes great
pictures.