Details About My Custom-Built DVR

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 18, 2004 2:44:53 PM

As promised, here are all the details of my custom-built DVR:

BTV 3.4 / Firefly Remote / Hauppauge PVR-250BTV Bundle
$179.99 + $7.16 = $187.15 delivered
http://store.snapstream.com/btvand250btv.html

Silverstone Case, SST-LC03 Black $139.00
http://tinyurl.com/ytxkv
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
Zalman ZM300A-APF 300W PSU $48.00
http://tinyurl.com/3l7af
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
Shipping for both $21 = $208 delivered

Asus P4R800VM Pentium 4, Socket 478, mATX, 4GB DDR, 400MHz FSB Motherboard
$73.79
http://tinyurl.com/6lyaz
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...
92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=125780
Kingston 512MB PC3200 DDR DIMM Memory $85.03
http://tinyurl.com/6kny6
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...
92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=55906
Shipping for both $10.48 = $169.30 delivered

IEEE 1394 card $10.99 delivered
VIA (IEEE 1394) FireWire COASLU1394
http://store.mrtechus.com/lui13fi31pci.html
Zalman CPU Cooler CNPS7000A-AICU $24 + $6.75 = $30.75 delivered
http://www.maincomp.com/shop/product.jsp?id=759

ACCESS MB ASUS AV/S Bracket $11 + $5 = $16 delivered
(Required for TV out with the Mobo I bought, see notes below)
http://tinyurl.com/5tdtc
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

CPU INTEL CELERON 2.4G 478P RTL $67 delivered
http://tinyurl.com/3v87f
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

FDD 1.44MB NEC|FD1231H -302 OEM BLK Floppy $9.99 Delivered
http://tinyurl.com/69l6e
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

DVR|PIONEER DVR-107 BLK DVD+/-RW DVD Burner $84.99 Delivered
http://tinyurl.com/3xahx
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

Western Digital Caviar WD1200BB 120GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive $78
Delivered
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

$187.15 - BTV Bundle
$208 - Case + PSU
$169.30 - Mobo + RAM
$10.99 - Firewire card
$30.75 - CPU Cooler
$16 - AV/S Bracked
$67 - Celeron
$9.99 - Floppy Drive
$84.99 - DVD Burner
$78 - Hard Drive
_____
$862.17 - total

NOTES
1) I ordered the wrong Mobo so I had to add the AV/S bracket later. Oops.
This is the one I thought I had ordered:

http://tinyurl.com/529nh
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

This one was recommended by Keith Clark, and it seems like a decent board,
although the price has gone up since I looked so it isn't the great deal it
had been.

2) I originally bought the DVD+/-RW LITEON SOHW-832S BLK RT DVD burner
which supposedly does dual layer. I never tested that capability, but the
DVD-R playability with my three set-top DVD players was terrible, so I
returned it for a full refund of my $85 purchase price to NewEgg, no
restocking fee.

I also noticed that NewEgg only posts postive reviews about their products.
I found this out when my negative review about the Lite-On didn't appear on
the NewEgg.com website. Then I read their policy that they do not post
negative reviews, so take them with a large grain of salt. If you do some
research on the web, you can see that these Lite-On burners often burn
uplayable disks if you use cheap media, so I would recommend against them.
I have a Pioneer A104 in my Sony Vaio, which has been an absolute champ, so
I decided to go with the Pioneer 107 for my new box, and it has been working
great.

3) I had absolutely no problems with any of the merchants I used, with
everything being delivered fast. NewEgg, in particular, impressed me with
their operation.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 3:35:17 PM

>As promised, here are all the details of my custom-built DVR:

Does your motherboard have TV out built in it?

If no.... what TV video card did you buy?
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 3:50:04 PM

In article <41236b66$0$21759$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>, No@Email.com
says...
> As promised, here are all the details of my custom-built DVR:
>
> BTV 3.4 / Firefly Remote / Hauppauge PVR-250BTV Bundle
> $179.99 + $7.16 = $187.15 delivered
> http://store.snapstream.com/btvand250btv.html
>
> Silverstone Case, SST-LC03 Black $139.00
> http://tinyurl.com/ytxkv

My PVR card cost more thant he whole rest of the computer combined, I
feel so inadequate :)  I'm about to double the value of the machine by
getting a bigger hard drive though, 30GB isn't cutting it :)  --
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com
August 18, 2004 3:50:05 PM

>> BTV 3.4 / Firefly Remote / Hauppauge PVR-250BTV Bundle
>> $179.99 + $7.16 = $187.15 delivered
>> http://store.snapstream.com/btvand250btv.html

Hmmm..... the link above takes me to the bundle that
does NOT come with a remote.

Did you in fact get the bundle that has a remote as
well?
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 3:50:05 PM

>>As promised, here are all the details of my custom-built DVR:
> feel so inadequate :)  I'm about to double the value of the machine by
> getting a bigger hard drive though, 30GB isn't cutting it :)  --

Shuttle XPC mini-PCs are compact and a great way to put a lot into a
little box that can sit right next to a TV w/o hogging valuable space.
http://us.shuttle.com/

--

www.fatwallet.com/forums/ -> hot deals for the latest HD threads (eg.
Fry's had a $69 AR 200GB HD just yesterday)

David Chien wrote:

> >>As promised, here are all the details of my custom-built DVR:
> > feel so inadequate :)  I'm about to double the value of the machine by
> > getting a bigger hard drive though, 30GB isn't cutting it :)  --
>
> Shuttle XPC mini-PCs are compact and a great way to put a lot into a
> little box that can sit right next to a TV w/o hogging valuable space.
> http://us.shuttle.com/

Except they look like a PC, which many people, myself included, find highly
objectionable in a living room environment.

Check out the cases at http://www.pcalchemy.com if you want a more refined,
high-end look.

One thing I like about the Silverstone case is that not even the DVD drive
is visible - it's behind a nice drop down panel.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 6:45:12 PM

>Except they look like a PC, which many people, myself included, find highly
>objectionable in a living room environment.

Point taken

But Im not much on building a PC..... no time.... so
thought maybe a bare bones model like the Shuttle be
nice as al one has to do is install PVR card, hard
drive and optical drive
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 6:45:13 PM

me6@privacy.net wrote:

> >Except they look like a PC, which many people, myself included, find highly
> >objectionable in a living room environment.
>
> Point taken
>
> But Im not much on building a PC..... no time.... so
> thought maybe a bare bones model like the Shuttle be
> nice as al one has to do is install PVR card, hard
> drive and optical drive

OK, but start to finish, you can build a PC "from scratch" in a couple hours if
you're handy with a screwdriver at all. And that's building in time for a beer
(or a cup of coffee).
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 12:07:14 AM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:40:46 -0700, Keith Clark
<clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Except they look like a PC, which many people, myself included, find highly
>objectionable in a living room environment.
>
>Check out the cases at http://www.pcalchemy.com if you want a more refined,
>high-end look.
>
>One thing I like about the Silverstone case is that not even the DVD drive
>is visible - it's behind a nice drop down panel.

I bet you've got one of those kitchens where you have to guess which
door the fridge is behind :-)
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 12:07:15 AM

Laurence Payne wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:40:46 -0700, Keith Clark
> <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Except they look like a PC, which many people, myself included, find highly
> >objectionable in a living room environment.
> >
> >Check out the cases at http://www.pcalchemy.com if you want a more refined,
> >high-end look.
> >
> >One thing I like about the Silverstone case is that not even the DVD drive
> >is visible - it's behind a nice drop down panel.
>
> I bet you've got one of those kitchens where you have to guess which
> door the fridge is behind :-)

I wish! In my dreams...
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:37:32 AM

I don't know what's the point of all these trouble and money.
Why not get this instead?
<http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=SD-H4...;

$100.00 Rebate <http://images.pricegrabber.com/rebates/11376.pdf&gt;

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:44:53 -0400, "Al" <No@Email.com> wrote:

=>As promised, here are all the details of my custom-built DVR:

---nip nip---

=>
=>$187.15 - BTV Bundle
=>$208 - Case + PSU
=>$169.30 - Mobo + RAM
=>$10.99 - Firewire card
=>$30.75 - CPU Cooler
=>$16 - AV/S Bracked
=>$67 - Celeron
=>$9.99 - Floppy Drive
=>$84.99 - DVD Burner
=>$78 - Hard Drive
=>_____
=>$862.17 - total
=>
[...]
August 19, 2004 1:46:15 PM

<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >> BTV 3.4 / Firefly Remote / Hauppauge PVR-250BTV Bundle
> >> $179.99 + $7.16 = $187.15 delivered
> >> http://store.snapstream.com/btvand250btv.html
>
> Hmmm..... the link above takes me to the bundle that
> does NOT come with a remote.
>
> Did you in fact get the bundle that has a remote as
> well?

My bad. I did get the one with the remote for $179.99 plus shipping.
August 19, 2004 1:48:17 PM

"Keith Clark" <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > feel so inadequate :)  I'm about to double the value of the machine by
> > > getting a bigger hard drive though, 30GB isn't cutting it :)  --
> >
> > Shuttle XPC mini-PCs are compact and a great way to put a lot into a
> > little box that can sit right next to a TV w/o hogging valuable space.
> > http://us.shuttle.com/
> >

> Except they look like a PC, which many people, myself included, find
highly
> objectionable in a living room environment.
>
> Check out the cases at http://www.pcalchemy.com if you want a more
refined,
> high-end look.
>
> One thing I like about the Silverstone case is that not even the DVD drive
> is visible - it's behind a nice drop down panel.

The Silverstone case is great looking, but just be aware of its height,
which just barely prevented me from fitting it into my new entertainment
center.
August 19, 2004 1:52:04 PM

> >As promised, here are all the details of my custom-built DVR:
>
> Does your motherboard have TV out built in it?
>
> If no.... what TV video card did you buy?

You need to add the Asus AV/S bracket to get TV out. I paid $11 plus $5
shipping for it from NewEgg.com (listed in my original post), but I had to
wait until it was in stock. The AV/S does not take a PCI slot, but it does
take one of your rear panel slots in the case. It has a cable that attaches
to a pin-out on the mobo, and then it has composite and S-video out on the
back.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 2:35:50 PM

In article <npp7i09gocbqo9gv7tppqvppovnprgqvan@4ax.com>,
ROOT@Hotmail.com says...
> Subject: Re: Details About My Custom-Built DVR
> From: Blade Runner <ROOT@Hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>

> I don't know what's the point of all these trouble and money.
> Why not get this instead?
> <http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=SD-H4...;

Mainly because Tivo service costs money and you can't save what you
record with it on DVD.

--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

>I don't know what's the point of all these trouble and money.
>Why not get this instead?
><http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=SD-H4...;

What if you don't what Tivo service?

Or what if your like me and don't have a wired phone
that Tivo can use to get its info?

I have a cell phone only
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 7:47:06 PM

Al wrote:

> <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > >As promised, here are all the details of my custom-built DVR:
> >
> > Does your motherboard have TV out built in it?
> >
> > If no.... what TV video card did you buy?
>
> You need to add the Asus AV/S bracket to get TV out. I paid $11 plus $5
> shipping for it from NewEgg.com (listed in my original post), but I had to
> wait until it was in stock. The AV/S does not take a PCI slot, but it does
> take one of your rear panel slots in the case. It has a cable that attaches
> to a pin-out on the mobo, and then it has composite and S-video out on the
> back.

If you get the P4R800-v Deluxe board as I reccommended, then TV-out is included
on the motherboard.

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4R800-V%20Deluxe&l... (scroll down to
see list of connectors)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

This view shows the S-video and composite jacks (far left, next to the
kybd/mouse)
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-131-15...
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 8:43:55 PM

> Check out the cases at http://www.pcalchemy.com if you want a more refined,
> high-end look.

Good link, nice boxes to keep in mind!

Here, I'm not a stickler to Shuttles next to TVs, so I'll stick
with those for now, but the PCAlchemy boxes are definitely hi-fi!
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 8:48:54 PM

>>But Im not much on building a PC..... no time.... so
>>thought maybe a bare bones model like the Shuttle be
>>nice as al one has to do is install PVR card, hard
>>drive and optical drive
>
> OK, but start to finish, you can build a PC "from scratch" in a couple hours if
> you're handy with a screwdriver at all. And that's building in time for a beer

It has consistanly taken me under 30 minutes to assemble the Shuttle
SS51G hardware from components (shuttle + hd + CD + floppy + CPU + RAM +
etc.). It's actually the software install that takes longer (2-5 hours
depending on CPU speed, OS installed, and applications installed). Once
you've put one Shuttle box together, you 'get' how to put them together
very, very quickly, and can assemble one fast if needed in under 15 minutes.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 8:52:52 PM

> I don't know what's the point of all these trouble and money.
> Why not get this instead?
> <http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=SD-H4...;

1) can't load up your own movies.
2) can't load up your own MP3 music
3) can't load up your own pictures.
4) can't surf the net on the TV
5) can't burn/copy CD/DVDs with one from other discs
6) can't run applications with one.
etc.

Basically, the custom DVRs let you do everything these DVD/PVR
recorders do, but a whole lot more. With a 400GB HD, you can have a
hundred movies, ten thousand music files, a million photos all at your
fingertips. And when watching TV shows, yes, you can record just like a
PVR, but also edit out segments you don't want, create DVDs from home
camcorder movies, surf the internet while watching TV
(side-by-side/PIP), edit documents, etc.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 9:10:18 PM

David Chien wrote:

> > I don't know what's the point of all these trouble and money.
> > Why not get this instead?
> > <http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=SD-H4...;
>
> 1) can't load up your own movies.
> 2) can't load up your own MP3 music
> 3) can't load up your own pictures.
> 4) can't surf the net on the TV
> 5) can't burn/copy CD/DVDs with one from other discs
> 6) can't run applications with one.
> etc.
>
> Basically, the custom DVRs let you do everything these DVD/PVR
> recorders do, but a whole lot more. With a 400GB HD, you can have a
> hundred movies, ten thousand music files, a million photos all at your
> fingertips. And when watching TV shows, yes, you can record just like a
> PVR, but also edit out segments you don't want, create DVDs from home
> camcorder movies, surf the internet while watching TV
> (side-by-side/PIP), edit documents, etc.

Right - added a weather module and now my wife doesn't sit there watching
the Weather Channel driving me nuts just to get a 10-day forecast. Now it's
literally 3 remote buttons away. Click-click-done.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 8:56:47 PM

> It's a common problem.
>
> Put a few hundred MP3s in folders on a DVR(+/-)R disk and try to play it in
> drives advertising "MP3 compatible). I tried that at Frys, GoodGuys, Best Buy,
> etc, and several DVD drives had to be "convinced" to release the disk. A couple
> of them sounded like they were going to explode (literally).

Here, try the excellent Philips DVP642 DVD/MP3/CD/JPEG
CD/VCD/SVCD/DIVX/XVID/MPEG-4 player available for <$69 at Walmart.com
and amazon.com

Fully unlocked with (open tray 7 8 9 ok 0 close tray) and completely
unprotected. Will play MP3s on DVDs w/o any problems.

see www.fatwallet.com/forums/ -> hot deals for the "philips dvp642"
thread for more details.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 1:49:27 PM

David Chien wrote:

> > It's a common problem.
> >
> > Put a few hundred MP3s in folders on a DVR(+/-)R disk and try to play it in
> > drives advertising "MP3 compatible). I tried that at Frys, GoodGuys, Best Buy,
> > etc, and several DVD drives had to be "convinced" to release the disk. A couple
> > of them sounded like they were going to explode (literally).
>
> Here, try the excellent Philips DVP642 DVD/MP3/CD/JPEG
> CD/VCD/SVCD/DIVX/XVID/MPEG-4 player available for <$69 at Walmart.com
> and amazon.com
>
> Fully unlocked with (open tray 7 8 9 ok 0 close tray) and completely
> unprotected. Will play MP3s on DVDs w/o any problems.
>
> see www.fatwallet.com/forums/ -> hot deals for the "philips dvp642"
> thread for more details.

That's good to know, thanks.

I bought a Toshiba a few months ago that came with the best remote I've ever seen and
we're happy with it. Since then I built an HTPC/DVR to handle the formats that the
Toshiba can't.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 12:38:39 PM

> Right - added a weather module and now my wife doesn't sit there watching
> the Weather Channel driving me nuts just to get a 10-day forecast. Now it's
> literally 3 remote buttons away. Click-click-done.

What's a "weather module"? Is it an add-on to SnapStream Beyond-TV? I
assume it can give us the "local" weather forcast depending on zip
code or something. Would you please give me a link to that product. I
am interested.

Thanks.

Jay Chan
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 2:15:21 PM

Jay Chan wrote:

> > Right - added a weather module and now my wife doesn't sit there watching
> > the Weather Channel driving me nuts just to get a 10-day forecast. Now it's
> > literally 3 remote buttons away. Click-click-done.
>
> What's a "weather module"? Is it an add-on to SnapStream Beyond-TV? I
> assume it can give us the "local" weather forcast depending on zip
> code or something. Would you please give me a link to that product. I
> am interested.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jay Chan

Oh, sorry - It's "Weather Pulse" from www.tropicdesigns.net. It's a little (free
:->) app that goes out to www.weather.com and downloads forecasts and radar
images for your zip code. Very cool. DOn't know if it works outside the US. I run
it full screen on boot-up, and with the Firefly "running applications" menu I can
easily switch between BeyondTV and Weather Pulse with a couple of remote control
clicks. I've since installed it on all the desktop systems I use, even my work
laptop.

Unfortunately there's no official plug-in from SnapStream for weather, but this
has been working really well. You can even configure WeatherPulse to give an
audible alert in the event that severe weather is expected. It really works too -
we got a flood warning this weekend with all the rain we've been having (really
weird, too, the rainy season isn't supposed to start for at least a month - at
least we get a break from the heat. It's so nice to finally have temps below 70
for several days).

If you use it, you'll want to modify the CSS style sheet for better readability
from across the room on your TV set. I've already done this and would be happy to
email or post my changes.

Maybe somebody really good at coding could even make it totally Firefly friendly
(as opposed to using it in "mouse mode").
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 1:25:17 PM

> Oh, sorry - It's "Weather Pulse" from www.tropicdesigns.net. It's a
> little (free :->) app that goes out to www.weather.com and
> downloads forecasts and radar images for your zip code.

I see... This requires an internet connection that is constantly on. I
am using dial-up connection. I guess I will have to pass on this one.
I hope other people who have high speed internet may find the link to
the weather web site useful.

Jay Chan
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:36:08 PM

Jay Chan wrote:

> > Oh, sorry - It's "Weather Pulse" from www.tropicdesigns.net. It's a
> > little (free :->) app that goes out to www.weather.com and
> > downloads forecasts and radar images for your zip code.
>
> I see... This requires an internet connection that is constantly on. I
> am using dial-up connection. I guess I will have to pass on this one.
> I hope other people who have high speed internet may find the link to
> the weather web site useful.
>
> Jay Chan

You could set it to update once per day and use "internet connection
sharing", couldn't you? I don't see any reason that it would require an
always on connection...
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 2:30:49 PM

> You could set it to update once per day and use "internet connection
> sharing", couldn't you? I don't see any reason that it would require an
> always on connection...

I get quite a lot of problem just to automate the process of
downloading TV program guide from SnapStream using the dial-up
connection (mainly related to the connection failed to automatically
disconnect, and has nothing to do with SnapStream). I need to manually
check if the download has completed and see if the connection is
automatically disconnected. I can afford to do this for downloading
program-guide because it is important to me and there is no other
readily available alternative. But I cannot afford to do this for
downloading weather forecast because there are other ways to get the
weather forecast (such as listening to AM radio). I have already
cleaned the PC of spywares; but the problem is still there.

In other words, as long as the auto-disconnect problem is not
resolved, I will have to limit the number of automatic downloads.

After saying this, I can see a high speed internet connection in my
future (let's say in a year). At that time, I will be able to automate
all kinds of things related to internet.

Jay Chan
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 3:41:48 PM

Jay Chan wrote:

> > You could set it to update once per day and use "internet connection
> > sharing", couldn't you? I don't see any reason that it would require an
> > always on connection...
>
> I get quite a lot of problem just to automate the process of
> downloading TV program guide from SnapStream using the dial-up
> connection (mainly related to the connection failed to automatically
> disconnect, and has nothing to do with SnapStream). I need to manually
> check if the download has completed and see if the connection is
> automatically disconnected. I can afford to do this for downloading
> program-guide because it is important to me and there is no other
> readily available alternative. But I cannot afford to do this for
> downloading weather forecast because there are other ways to get the
> weather forecast (such as listening to AM radio). I have already
> cleaned the PC of spywares; but the problem is still there.
>
> In other words, as long as the auto-disconnect problem is not
> resolved, I will have to limit the number of automatic downloads.

That sounds like a Windows or a modem driver issue. Windows used to have
setting to disconnect after a certain idle time.

> After saying this, I can see a high speed internet connection in my
> future (let's say in a year). At that time, I will be able to automate
> all kinds of things related to internet.

You'll never go back to dial-up again. Get your internet access over cable
and you can cancel your phone.
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 6:23:06 PM

> You'll never go back to dial-up again. Get your internet access over cable
> and you can cancel your phone.

Or, get a PCMCIA PCI adapter for the computer, plug in a Merlin G100
PCMCIA GPRS card (or any other wireless internet card), sign up for
service (T-Mobile at $29.99/mo. unlimited is =the= cheapest unlimited
plan), and you can go online anywhere you put the darn PC box (bathroom,
flower pot, RV, airplane, mountains, etc.) where you've got cell phone
coverage.

and, you still have your cell phone feature available....

Not as fast as a cable, but you can go where no cable can go...
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 7:39:40 PM

David Chien wrote:

> > You'll never go back to dial-up again. Get your internet access over cable
> > and you can cancel your phone.
> >

> Or, get a PCMCIA PCI adapter for the computer, plug in a Merlin G100
> PCMCIA GPRS card (or any other wireless internet card), sign up for
> service (T-Mobile at $29.99/mo. unlimited is =the= cheapest unlimited
> plan), and you can go online anywhere you put the darn PC box (bathroom,
> flower pot, RV, airplane, mountains, etc.) where you've got cell phone
> coverage.
>
> and, you still have your cell phone feature available....
>
> Not as fast as a cable, but you can go where no cable can go...

I have an 802.11G network to make our laptops easier to use, and to simplify
getting the DVR unit online, and it's pretty handy. Not as slick as your setup
though.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 8:32:26 PM

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:52:52 -0700, David Chien wrote:

>> I don't know what's the point of all these trouble and money.
>> Why not get this instead?
>> <http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=SD-H4...;
>
> 1) can't load up your own movies.
> 2) can't load up your own MP3 music
> 3) can't load up your own pictures.
> 4) can't surf the net on the TV
> 5) can't burn/copy CD/DVDs with one from other discs
> 6) can't run applications with one.
> etc.
>
> Basically, the custom DVRs let you do everything these DVD/PVR
> recorders do, but a whole lot more. With a 400GB HD, you can have a
> hundred movies, ten thousand music files, a million photos all at your
> fingertips. And when watching TV shows, yes, you can record just like a
> PVR, but also edit out segments you don't want, create DVDs from home
> camcorder movies, surf the internet while watching TV
> (side-by-side/PIP), edit documents, etc.

By the way, I just found a great editing tool to use on Linux to cut
commercials from BeyondTV mpeg-2 recordings and save to Xvid. Since I
prefer Linux as a desktop environment and since most of my archiving is in
Xvid, this lets me reboot my home desktop machine a lot less often.

The program is "avidemux". Don't let that scare you - it has a great GUI
and menus, easily as good as VirtualDub in Windows. I prefer SuSE linux
because it doesn't make you be a geek to use Linux, it "just works" out of
the box. (see the review on MSNBC - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5831949/).

Anyway here's a screenshot I took of my first attempt a few minutes ago. I
just copied the recording over the network to my desktop machine in Linux
(I just clicked the "browse local network" icon on the desktop and then
found the DVR machine in the list of computers, and dragged the file over,
just like in Windows).

http://img32.exs.cx/img32/5714/screenshot15.jpg
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 8:32:27 PM

>By the way, I just found a great editing tool to use on Linux to cut

How many PCs and what kind of network do you have
Keith?

Can you describe your home system a bit? Thanks
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 9:12:56 PM

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:46:28 -0500, me6 wrote:

>>By the way, I just found a great editing tool to use on Linux to cut
>
> How many PCs and what kind of network do you have Keith?
>
> Can you describe your home system a bit? Thanks

Not that many. A couple of desktops, the DVR and a laptop. The two
desptops are on a wired network, and the DVR and laptop use 802.11G
wireless (the wireless router has a 4 port switch that I used to network
the desktops). I plugged the router into my DSL modem and all the PCs can
share the internet seamlessly (it also saved me from having to install any
DSL drivers).

If you use wireless networking, be sure to lock down your security
settings. Change the default SSID to something randome, a mix of
upper/lower-case, numbers and special characters. Disable "SSID broadcast"
Use WEP shared keys and 128 bit enctyption. And use MAC filtering so that
only the machines that you specify in a list can access the wireless
network. And of course use strong software firewalls and virus scanners (I
prefer Norton on Windows).
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 1:47:44 PM

Keith Clark wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:52:52 -0700, David Chien wrote:
>
> >> I don't know what's the point of all these trouble and money.
> >> Why not get this instead?
> >> <http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=SD-H4...;
> >
> > 1) can't load up your own movies.
> > 2) can't load up your own MP3 music
> > 3) can't load up your own pictures.
> > 4) can't surf the net on the TV
> > 5) can't burn/copy CD/DVDs with one from other discs
> > 6) can't run applications with one.
> > etc.
> >
> > Basically, the custom DVRs let you do everything these DVD/PVR
> > recorders do, but a whole lot more. With a 400GB HD, you can have a
> > hundred movies, ten thousand music files, a million photos all at your
> > fingertips. And when watching TV shows, yes, you can record just like a
> > PVR, but also edit out segments you don't want, create DVDs from home
> > camcorder movies, surf the internet while watching TV
> > (side-by-side/PIP), edit documents, etc.
>
> By the way, I just found a great editing tool to use on Linux to cut
> commercials from BeyondTV mpeg-2 recordings and save to Xvid. Since I
> prefer Linux as a desktop environment and since most of my archiving is in
> Xvid, this lets me reboot my home desktop machine a lot less often.
>
> The program is "avidemux". Don't let that scare you - it has a great GUI
> and menus, easily as good as VirtualDub in Windows. I prefer SuSE linux
> because it doesn't make you be a geek to use Linux, it "just works" out of
> the box. (see the review on MSNBC - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5831949/).
>
> Anyway here's a screenshot I took of my first attempt a few minutes ago. I
> just copied the recording over the network to my desktop machine in Linux
> (I just clicked the "browse local network" icon on the desktop and then
> found the DVR machine in the list of computers, and dragged the file over,
> just like in Windows).
>
> http://img32.exs.cx/img32/5714/screenshot15.jpg

Well, maybe I spoke too soon. The Xvid files play *beautifully* full screen
(1280x1024) in Linux, and the file sizes were smaller than I've been getting
with VirtualDub and similar settings (a half hour show averaged 180MB in my
testing over the weekend).

But when I try to play them on Windows machines (I tried two), I get errors
saying they're "corrupt", ot "no codec", or the Divx player will crash or
complain about "no audio" even if I use uncompressed PCM audio, Windows Media
Player just crashes every time, and Beyond Media either ignored attempts to
play the files or locked up.

I have hundreds of Xvid files created both with VirtualDub and transcode (DVD
rips in Linux) that play beautifully with Beyond Media or any other player.

"Gspot" tells me I have 4 suitable codecs and that Direct Show is capable of
rendering the files created with avidemux2, yet they refuse to play in
Windows.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Hopefully there are Linux users
lurking here who can tell me what I'm doing wrong or etc.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 8:18:27 AM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:47:44 -0700, Keith Clark wrote:

> Keith Clark wrote:

>> > 1) can't load up your own movies.
>> > 2) can't load up your own MP3 music
>> > 3) can't load up your own pictures.
>> > 4) can't surf the net on the TV
>> > 5) can't burn/copy CD/DVDs with one from other discs
>> > 6) can't run applications with one.
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > Basically, the custom DVRs let you do everything these DVD/PVR
>> > recorders do, but a whole lot more. With a 400GB HD, you can have a
>> > hundred movies, ten thousand music files, a million photos all at your
>> > fingertips. And when watching TV shows, yes, you can record just like a
>> > PVR, but also edit out segments you don't want, create DVDs from home
>> > camcorder movies, surf the internet while watching TV
>> > (side-by-side/PIP), edit documents, etc.
>>
>> By the way, I just found a great editing tool to use on Linux to cut
>> commercials from BeyondTV mpeg-2 recordings and save to Xvid. Since I
>> prefer Linux as a desktop environment and since most of my archiving is in
>> Xvid, this lets me reboot my home desktop machine a lot less often.
>>
>> The program is "avidemux". Don't let that scare you - it has a great GUI
>> and menus, easily as good as VirtualDub in Windows. I prefer SuSE linux
>> because it doesn't make you be a geek to use Linux, it "just works" out of
>> the box. (see the review on MSNBC - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5831949/).
>>
>> Anyway here's a screenshot I took of my first attempt a few minutes ago. I
>> just copied the recording over the network to my desktop machine in Linux
>> (I just clicked the "browse local network" icon on the desktop and then
>> found the DVR machine in the list of computers, and dragged the file over,
>> just like in Windows).
>>
>> http://img32.exs.cx/img32/5714/screenshot15.jpg
>
> Well, maybe I spoke too soon. The Xvid files play *beautifully* full screen
> (1280x1024) in Linux, and the file sizes were smaller than I've been getting
> with VirtualDub and similar settings (a half hour show averaged 180MB in my
> testing over the weekend).
>
> But when I try to play them on Windows machines (I tried two), I get errors
> saying they're "corrupt", ot "no codec", or the Divx player will crash or
> complain about "no audio" even if I use uncompressed PCM audio, Windows Media
> Player just crashes every time, and Beyond Media either ignored attempts to
> play the files or locked up.
>
> I have hundreds of Xvid files created both with VirtualDub and transcode (DVD
> rips in Linux) that play beautifully with Beyond Media or any other player.
>
> "Gspot" tells me I have 4 suitable codecs and that Direct Show is capable of
> rendering the files created with avidemux2, yet they refuse to play in
> Windows.
>
> Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Hopefully there are Linux users
> lurking here who can tell me what I'm doing wrong or etc.

Finally solved it with the help of the guy who wrote the software. Turns
out I'd installed a buggy MP3 encoder. I upgraded to the latest version
(of "Lame") and that fixed the problem. The Xvid files look amazing.
!