Shuttle good low per choice for PVR?

Have decided to build my own PVR.

Will use either the 250/350 Hauppauge card

I want something LOW POWER since this unit will be on
all the time.

Are the SFF (small form factor) computers such as
Shuttle a good choice for low power and cool running?

Advice?

In article <dj07i0hau5bu9qr8lecnu7qcrofj09h7qs@4ax.com>, me6@privacy.net
says...
> Have decided to build my own PVR.
>
> Will use either the 250/350 Hauppauge card
>
> I want something LOW POWER since this unit will be on
> all the time.
>
> Are the SFF (small form factor) computers such as
> Shuttle a good choice for low power and cool running?
>
> Advice?

One thing I found with the Hauppage software is I can not use a screen
saver or power saving functions, the software will not start to record
when scheduled if you do. Even using a simple screen blanking screen
saver stopped the software from functioning. This may be unique to my
setup, GBPVR is supposed to have a way built into it to wake the machine
to record but I have not tested it yet. Sage and BeyondTV may also have
solutions.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

>One thing I found with the Hauppage software is I can not use a screen
>saver or power saving functions, the software will not start to record
>when scheduled if you do. Even using a simple screen blanking screen
>saver stopped the software from functioning. This may be unique to my
>setup, GBPVR is supposed to have a way built into it to wake the machine
>to record but I have not tested it yet. Sage and BeyondTV may also have
>solutions.

OK.... thanks for heads up

Id probably NOT use the Hauppauge PVR software....
would opt for BTV or Sage I suppose

Or use GBPVR with the MVP unit and keep PC in another
room separate from main TV

me6@privacy.net wrote:

> >One thing I found with the Hauppage software is I can not use a screen
> >saver or power saving functions, the software will not start to record
> >when scheduled if you do. Even using a simple screen blanking screen
> >saver stopped the software from functioning. This may be unique to my
> >setup, GBPVR is supposed to have a way built into it to wake the machine
> >to record but I have not tested it yet. Sage and BeyondTV may also have
> >solutions.
>
> OK.... thanks for heads up
>
> Id probably NOT use the Hauppauge PVR software....
> would opt for BTV or Sage I suppose
>
> Or use GBPVR with the MVP unit and keep PC in another
> room separate from main TV

Make sure you use wired ethernet for this. Wireless "G" networks don't have
the bandwidth or the reliability for streaming mpeg-2 video.

In article <lfc7i0p4vs3uho1dgbn8cup98ra421os9l@4ax.com>, me6@privacy.net
says...
> Subject: Re: Shuttle good low per choice for PVR?
> From: me6@privacy.net
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> >One thing I found with the Hauppage software is I can not use a screen
> >saver or power saving functions, the software will not start to record
> >when scheduled if you do. Even using a simple screen blanking screen
> >saver stopped the software from functioning. This may be unique to my
> >setup, GBPVR is supposed to have a way built into it to wake the machine
> >to record but I have not tested it yet. Sage and BeyondTV may also have
> >solutions.
>
> OK.... thanks for heads up
>
> Id probably NOT use the Hauppauge PVR software....
> would opt for BTV or Sage I suppose
>
> Or use GBPVR with the MVP unit and keep PC in another
> room separate from main TV

From what I've seen so far the PVR-250 with an ATI Radeon card w/TV-out
coupled with GB-PVR is really the least expensive and most effective way
to go. With GB-PVR you can not only play live TV and mpegs you have
recorded you can also play other video file types you have plus DVDs,
MP3s and netradio all with one on screen interface and your included
remote and it supports 3 widely used TV listing services. And so far
GB-PVR is free although I think he deserves a donation if you are going
to use it. I stick it out with the 350 because I don't want to have to
build a faster machine but eventually I will probably upgrade my main
PC, do the hand me down thing and build a better, faster HTPC with an
ATI card for the TV-OUT.

--
http://www.ramsays-online.com

>Make sure you use wired ethernet for this. Wireless "G" networks don't have
>the bandwidth or the reliability for streaming mpeg-2 video.

Oh yeah

Will do!!