Unable to browse remote network

I have set up a PPTP VPN connection to my work network. I am able to make the remote connection with no problems. I am unable to see any computers or shares on my network at work. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about unable browse remote network

    The quick way is to try to access computers my specifying their IP
    addresses instead of names from Explorer (i.e., try to connect to
    \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename instead of \\servername\sharename).

    The real solution is to have your system administrator configure the
    RAS server to provide you with a valid DNS or WINS server address when
    you connect to the VPN.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:01:07 -0700, kdn

    >I have set up a PPTP VPN connection to my work network. I am able to make the remote connection with no problems. I am unable to see any computers or shares on my network at work. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

    The work server is a nt4.0 server. RAS is setup along with wins server. I am connecting thru a netopia router with static route table set to point to the nt server. The server has address pool setup to assign ip's to remote systems that connect. I am connecting remotely with a windows xp pro workstation. I have setup the dns and wins on the xp machine. I am able to connect to network and can see netopia router ok but cannot see any network shares or systems. I also setup an lmhost file on server and remote system.

    ----- Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote: -----

    The quick way is to try to access computers my specifying their IP
    addresses instead of names from Explorer (i.e., try to connect to
    \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename instead of \\servername\sharename).

    The real solution is to have your system administrator configure the
    RAS server to provide you with a valid DNS or WINS server address when
    you connect to the VPN.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:01:07 -0700, kdn

    >I have set up a PPTP VPN connection to my work network. I am able to make the remote connection with no problems. I am unable to see any computers or shares on my network at work. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:02:50 -0500, "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)"
    <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote:

    >The quick way is to try to access computers my specifying their IP
    >addresses instead of names from Explorer (i.e., try to connect to
    >\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename instead of \\servername\sharename).

    I would like to point out a few things, for example, you can access
    all the shares at one time (even though you may only have permission
    for one or some of them) by typing \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in Start|Run or
    in the Address textbox in Network Places. If you use the Start|Run
    method you will get a new window which you can shortcut to the Desktop
    for repeated use.

    For accessing the VPN Server, you should be able to use the first
    address in the allowed list you set up on the VPN Server. At least
    that seems to work for me. That way you can create a Desktop icon to
    open the access window.

    For the VPN Client, I use a static address so it is always the same. I
    have noticed, depending on the configuration, that the VPN Client
    address can change from one session to the next if it is dynamically
    allocated by the VPN Server. That's won't happen with a static
    address, at least in principle.

    If there are multiple users, assign them different addresses and make
    entries in the HOSTS table for quick name resolution, e.g. for use
    with Netstat, etc. Of course, you will have to create special VPN
    usernames so they won't clash with existing names the LAN.

    >The real solution is to have your system administrator configure the
    >RAS server to provide you with a valid DNS or WINS server address when
    >you connect to the VPN.

    That won't work with a peer-to-peer (workgroup) network.

    XP has NetBIOS in PPTP - it's on the WINS page. Check the first box
    and it should provide name resolution. In particular, if an XP PPTP
    VPN Client is connected to a Win2K VPN Server, name resolution will
    work, that is, the VPN Client can access the VPN Server using
    \\servername.

    --

    Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

    "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
    --David Crockett

    See inline...

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:43:26 GMT, spam@spam.com (Bob) wrote:

    >XP has NetBIOS in PPTP - it's on the WINS page. Check the first box
    >and it should provide name resolution. In particular, if an XP PPTP
    >VPN Client is connected to a Win2K VPN Server, name resolution will
    >work, that is, the VPN Client can access the VPN Server using
    >\\servername.

    This will work most of the time with Win2K Server or Win2K
    Professional RAS servers.. Most users will not get this experience
    with XP-based RAS servers... This has been acknowledged by MS as a
    limitation of the Windows XP RAS implementation (rectified in Windows
    2003 Server by the implementation of "Enable Broadcast Name
    Resolution" in the Win2K3 RRAS setup...

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:15:36 -0500, "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)"
    <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote:

    >>XP has NetBIOS in PPTP - it's on the WINS page. Check the first box
    >>and it should provide name resolution. In particular, if an XP PPTP
    >>VPN Client is connected to a Win2K VPN Server, name resolution will
    >>work, that is, the VPN Client can access the VPN Server using
    >>\\servername.

    >This will work most of the time with Win2K Server or Win2K
    >Professional RAS servers.. Most users will not get this experience
    >with XP-based RAS servers...

    We may be talking about two different things. There is no Windows
    Server anywhere, just a handful of Windows workstations here and
    there.

    I am talking about a simple PPTP VPN where both the VPN Server (not a
    Windows Server) and the VPN Client are located on peer-to-peer
    (workgroup) networks.

    I have found that name resolution works if the VPN Client is on an XP
    machine (and NetBIOS is enabled on the VPN WINS page), but not if it
    is on a Win2K machine (because there is no NetBIOS on the VPN WINS
    page).

    XP VPN Server <==> XP VPN Client, name resolution works
    Win2K VPN Server <==> XP VPN Client, name resolution works

    XP VPN Server <==> Win2K VPN Client, name resolution does not work
    Win2K VPN Server <==> Win2K VPN Client, name resolution does not work

    --

    Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

    "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
    --David Crockett

Connection Microsoft Windows XP