Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unable to browse remote network

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 9:01:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I have set up a PPTP VPN connection to my work network. I am able to make the remote connection with no problems. I am unable to see any computers or shares on my network at work. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 12:02:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

The quick way is to try to access computers my specifying their IP
addresses instead of names from Explorer (i.e., try to connect to
\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename instead of \\servername\sharename).

The real solution is to have your system administrator configure the
RAS server to provide you with a valid DNS or WINS server address when
you connect to the VPN.

Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:01:07 -0700, kdn
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have set up a PPTP VPN connection to my work network. I am able to make the remote connection with no problems. I am unable to see any computers or shares on my network at work. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 12:02:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

The work server is a nt4.0 server. RAS is setup along with wins server. I am connecting thru a netopia router with static route table set to point to the nt server. The server has address pool setup to assign ip's to remote systems that connect. I am connecting remotely with a windows xp pro workstation. I have setup the dns and wins on the xp machine. I am able to connect to network and can see netopia router ok but cannot see any network shares or systems. I also setup an lmhost file on server and remote system.

----- Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote: -----

The quick way is to try to access computers my specifying their IP
addresses instead of names from Explorer (i.e., try to connect to
\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename instead of \\servername\sharename).

The real solution is to have your system administrator configure the
RAS server to provide you with a valid DNS or WINS server address when
you connect to the VPN.

Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:01:07 -0700, kdn
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have set up a PPTP VPN connection to my work network. I am able to make the remote connection with no problems. I am unable to see any computers or shares on my network at work. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Related resources
April 17, 2004 5:43:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:02:50 -0500, "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)"
<jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote:

>The quick way is to try to access computers my specifying their IP
>addresses instead of names from Explorer (i.e., try to connect to
>\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename instead of \\servername\sharename).

I would like to point out a few things, for example, you can access
all the shares at one time (even though you may only have permission
for one or some of them) by typing \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in Start|Run or
in the Address textbox in Network Places. If you use the Start|Run
method you will get a new window which you can shortcut to the Desktop
for repeated use.

For accessing the VPN Server, you should be able to use the first
address in the allowed list you set up on the VPN Server. At least
that seems to work for me. That way you can create a Desktop icon to
open the access window.

For the VPN Client, I use a static address so it is always the same. I
have noticed, depending on the configuration, that the VPN Client
address can change from one session to the next if it is dynamically
allocated by the VPN Server. That's won't happen with a static
address, at least in principle.

If there are multiple users, assign them different addresses and make
entries in the HOSTS table for quick name resolution, e.g. for use
with Netstat, etc. Of course, you will have to create special VPN
usernames so they won't clash with existing names the LAN.

>The real solution is to have your system administrator configure the
>RAS server to provide you with a valid DNS or WINS server address when
>you connect to the VPN.

That won't work with a peer-to-peer (workgroup) network.

XP has NetBIOS in PPTP - it's on the WINS page. Check the first box
and it should provide name resolution. In particular, if an XP PPTP
VPN Client is connected to a Win2K VPN Server, name resolution will
work, that is, the VPN Client can access the VPN Server using
\\servername.


--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 2:15:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

See inline...

Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:43:26 GMT, spam@spam.com (Bob) wrote:

>XP has NetBIOS in PPTP - it's on the WINS page. Check the first box
>and it should provide name resolution. In particular, if an XP PPTP
>VPN Client is connected to a Win2K VPN Server, name resolution will
>work, that is, the VPN Client can access the VPN Server using
>\\servername.

This will work most of the time with Win2K Server or Win2K
Professional RAS servers.. Most users will not get this experience
with XP-based RAS servers... This has been acknowledged by MS as a
limitation of the Windows XP RAS implementation (rectified in Windows
2003 Server by the implementation of "Enable Broadcast Name
Resolution" in the Win2K3 RRAS setup...
April 18, 2004 5:36:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:15:36 -0500, "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)"
<jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote:

>>XP has NetBIOS in PPTP - it's on the WINS page. Check the first box
>>and it should provide name resolution. In particular, if an XP PPTP
>>VPN Client is connected to a Win2K VPN Server, name resolution will
>>work, that is, the VPN Client can access the VPN Server using
>>\\servername.

>This will work most of the time with Win2K Server or Win2K
>Professional RAS servers.. Most users will not get this experience
>with XP-based RAS servers...

We may be talking about two different things. There is no Windows
Server anywhere, just a handful of Windows workstations here and
there.

I am talking about a simple PPTP VPN where both the VPN Server (not a
Windows Server) and the VPN Client are located on peer-to-peer
(workgroup) networks.

I have found that name resolution works if the VPN Client is on an XP
machine (and NetBIOS is enabled on the VPN WINS page), but not if it
is on a Win2K machine (because there is no NetBIOS on the VPN WINS
page).

XP VPN Server <==> XP VPN Client, name resolution works
Win2K VPN Server <==> XP VPN Client, name resolution works

XP VPN Server <==> Win2K VPN Client, name resolution does not work
Win2K VPN Server <==> Win2K VPN Client, name resolution does not work


--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett
!